- A valid Social Security number (for example, a Social Security card)
- U.S. citizenship (for example, a certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised seal, must be issued by a governmental unit in the U.S. or U.S. territory)
- Identity (for example, a current Michigan photo license or ID card)
How long does it take to get enhanced drivers license?
- If you’ve already got a driver’s license, it won’t take very long to get your enhanced driver’s license once you apply. Count on getting the license in the mail between two weeks and a month after your application is accepted.
What do I need for enhanced driver’s license?
You will need all the documents required for proof of citizenship, identity, SSN, and residence. You may bring residency documents in your parent or guardian’s name.
What do you need to get an enhanced driver’s license in Washington?
How to get an enhanced ID card
- Decide which of our EDL/EID office locations you want to visit.
- Complete an application at the EDL/EID office.
- Pay the application fee.
- Show us proof of citizenship, identity, and residence for each person applying for an enhanced ID card.
- Provide your Social Security number.
What documents do I need to renew my enhanced driver’s license in MN?
Identification Documentation for EDL/EID-Must provide proof of: Date of Birth, Full Legal Name, Social Security Number, Photographic Identity, United States Citizenship and Minnesota Residency.
How much does a Washington state enhanced driver’s license cost?
How much does it cost to get an EDL or EID in Washington? If you’re getting a new Enhanced Driver’s License or ID and you’ve never had one before, it will cost $78. Each standard driver’s license is valid for six years and costs $54 to renew.
What do I need to fly domestic 2021?
You must present an acceptable ID, such as a valid passport, state-issued enhanced driver’s license or U.S. military ID, to fly within the U.S. You will not be allowed to fly if your identity cannot be verified. Review the complete list of acceptable identification.
Can I fly to Mexico with an enhanced license?
The EDL allows for a convenient and cost-effective method of crossing the U.S. border by land or sea. However, an Enhanced Driver License cannot be used for air travel, and it can only be used to go to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean.
Do I need an enhanced license to fly out of Washington state?
The card is very limited and is not valid for international air travel. The cost of a passport card is $65 and to the cost to get a WA Enhanced card/license is only $24 more than a regular one. If you want to travel domestically after Oct 1, 2021, then you need to upgrade your WA State ID to an Enhanced ID.
Do you need an enhanced driver’s license in Washington state?
The EDL is optional and may not be right for all drivers. Before you decide to apply for an EDL, you should carefully consider both the benefits and the drawbacks of using this alternative to a passport.
Why do I need an enhanced driver’s license in Washington state?
Washington’s enhanced driver licenses (EDLs) and enhanced ID (EIDs) cards are REAL ID compliant, valid for air travel within the United States, and can be used to cross the borders of Canada and Mexico by land or sea.
How much does an enhanced license cost in mn?
The fee for an EDL or EID is $15 in addition to the fee required for your driver’s license or non-driver photo ID card transaction.
Do I need enhanced drivers license for mn?
Minnesotans may opt for, but are not required, to obtain an EDL/EID. An EDL/EID must be mailed to the Minnesota residential address that appears on the EDL/EID card.
Which is better REAL ID or enhanced?
One of the differences between the two is that they don’t have the same price. The Enhanced ID will cost $30 more than a Real ID. However, probably the biggest difference between them is the fact that the Enhanced ID allows you to travel to Mexico, Canada, and a few Caribbean countries without requiring a passport.
How long does it take to get an enhanced license in Washington state?
When someone applies, they must be able to establish, or re-establish U.S. citizenship and Washington residence. Once approved, residents should allow two to three weeks to receive their card.
Is Washington state enhanced driver’s license REAL ID compliant?
In Washington state, there are two types of REAL ID-compliant documents: enhanced driver licenses and enhanced ID cards. Both can be obtained by visiting a driver licensing office. To receive either, you’ll need to present proof of citizenship, identity, Social Security number, and residence.
Get an enhanced driver license (EDL) or REAL ID
A REAL ID is a federally compliant driver license, learner permit, or non-driver ID issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), which you will be required to have in order to board a domestic flight (within the United States) or enter certain federal buildings starting in May 2023, unless you have a valid passport at the time of travel.
Obtaining a REAL ID does not incur any additional costs. All standard transaction costs continue to apply.
Enhanced Driver License (EDL)
An enhanced license (permit, or non-driver ID) issued by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can be used to return to the United States by land or water from Canada, Mexico, and other countries in the Caribbean in lieu of a valid passport. The Eastern District of New York’s EDL complies with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). 1 It is not acceptable when it comes to air travel between these two nations. If you have any questions about the requirements for travel documents, we recommend that you contact your travel agency, cruise company, or the specific countries of destination.
Only inhabitants of New York State who are citizens of the United States are eligible to apply for an EDL in the state of New York.
For an enhanced driver license (EDL) or an enhanced non-driver ID card (ENDID), there is an extra price of $30.00 to pay. The cost is applied to the additional fees associated with the driver license or non-driver ID transaction, if any are applicable. To find out how much it will cost to convert from a conventional driver’s license or ID card to an enhanced document, read Early renewal with conversion to an enhanced document (see Resources).
Apply at a DMV office
You will not be able to submit an application online, via phone, or by mail. To obtain an enhanced learner permit if you have never held a driver’s license before, you must first apply for one. The DMV is where you may finish your eye examination. See the DMV’s location, procedures, and reservation information by clicking on the link below.
What documents do I need to bring to the DMV?
Complete this checklist to ensure that you have all of the documentation and identity evidence that you will need. Discover the papers you’ll need to obtain a REAL ID or an Enhanced driver’s license.
You will get your EDL in 2 weeks
It takes around 2 weeks for your new EDL paperwork to be sent by postal service.
In order to renew your REAL ID or Enhanced license, use the same procedures as described in How to Renew Driver License. There will be an extra charge of $30.00 for an Enhanced license on top of the usual renewal price for the license.
Continue using the same steps as for renewing your REAL ID or Enhanced license, as described inRenew Driver License. An extra fee of $30.00 will be charged in addition to the standard renewal price for an Enhanced license.
- 1.The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is a federal guideline that governs which papers citizens of the United States can use while traveling in the Western Hemisphere. More information on this project may be found on the website of the United States Customs and Border Control.
DVS Home –
Minnesota citizens may now apply for an improved version of their driver’s license or identity card, which will allow them to re-enter the United States through land and water from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean, among other countries. The enhanced driver’s license (EDL) and the enhanced identification card (EID), in addition to acting as a driver’s license or identity card, are two of the federally-approved border-crossing credentials necessary under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).
Applications for an Enhanced Driver’s License or an Enhanced Identification Card are only accepted from Minnesota residents who are also citizens of the United States and are at least 16 years old.
An EDL/EID card must be addressed to the Minnesota residence address that is shown on the EDL/EID card in order to be valid. What is the difference between an EDL and an EID?
- From Canada, Mexico, and several Caribbean nations, an EDL/EID can be used as a cross-border travel document (in place of a passport) to re-enter the United States by land and water. According to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), an EDL/EID serves as a means of identifying both identification and citizenship. These cards may be used for domestic air travel as well as for access to government institutions. Please see the Transportation Security Administration for a list of valid IDs
- Using an EDL/EID for foreign aviation travel is not permitted. EDL/EID cards are equipped with a radio frequency identification (RFID) chip, which allows them to be read by a reader. Each EDL/EID card is allocated a unique number, which is stored on the RFID chip. It does not contain any biometric information (for example, fingerprints, face recognition, or other similar data)
- Several states currently provide EDL/EID services
- Minnesotans may choose to receive an EDL/EID, but they are not obligated to do so. An EDL/EID card must be addressed to the Minnesota residence address that appears on the card
- Otherwise, the card will be returned to the sender.
You can apply for an EDL or an EID at any time, for any reason:
- When your existing driver’s license or identification card is due for renewal
- Application for your first driver’s license (and learner’s permit) or non-driver picture ID card
- Application for your first driver’s license (and learner’s permit)
- It is necessary to replace your existing driver’s license prior to the day on which it is due for renewal, so that the expiration date of your license does not alter. When you submit your application, you will be requested to complete an Interview Questionnaire
- Please allow additional time for this when submitting your application. In the case that processing timeframes exceed 3-4 weeks, you will be issued a temporary receipt that will expire 120 days after the date of your application. EDL/EID identification documentation must include verification of: date of birth, full legal name, social security number, photographic identification, United States citizenship, and Minnesota residence. View the Identification Requirements for EDL/EID (PDF)
Obtaining a new EDL or EID:
- You will only need additional proof if you are changing your name or your primary home in the state of Minnesota. If you have recently changed your name, you must notify the Social Security Administration so that they can update their records before applying. The following documentation will be required: Proof of Full Legal Name
- Proof of Minnesota Residency. View the Identification Requirements for EDL/EID (PDF)
Where to apply for or renew an EDL or EID is as follows:
- Contact information for the office may be obtained by calling (651) 297-2005 or by visiting the website.
» Enhanced Driver’s Licenses – What They Are and Where to Get Them
A total of four states have already begun to issue what are known as Enhanced Driver’s Licenses (EDLs). These licenses are equipped with radio frequency identification (RFID) chips, and persons who possess these special licenses are put into a database maintained by the Department of Homeland Security to track their movements. The program is now only available in four states along the Canadian border: Michigan; New York; Vermont; and Washington. It is designed to make it easier for people to cross the border from the United States to Canada.
This reduces the amount of time people must wait at the border for everyone.
To submit an application, you must visit a Secretary of State office and complete the necessary forms:
- Demonstrate a valid Social Security Number, US Citizenship, identification, and Michigan residency to be eligible. a new photograph should be taken
- Pay a $45 processing charge
New York, NY: New York drivers who wish to upgrade their existing driver’s license to an EDL can do so by contacting their local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You will need the following items in order to apply:
- Documentation of Social Security Number, identification of name, and documentation of New York residency are required. A $30 enhanced document charge and a $12.50 document processing fee must be paid.
Vermont residents who are also citizens of the United States are eligible to apply for an EDL. Due to the fact that not all Vermont DMVs are now issuing EDLs, it is important to look for a list of offices that do offer them. To be considered, you must bring the following items with you:
- An ELD Application that has been fully completed
- A valid operator’s license is required. Proof of Social Security Number, identity, United States Citizenship, and Vermont Residency are all required. In addition to the usual driver’s license price (which varies depending on whether you are renewing, changing, or receiving your first license), you must pay a $25 EDL charge.
Residents of the state of Washington can receive an EDL if they complete the qualifications for a Washington intermediate driver license, which is the license that most new drivers obtain when they first start driving. In Washington, you will require the following items:
- Obtaining an EDL in Washington State is possible as long as the applicant meets the requirements for a Washington intermediate driver license, which is the license that most new drivers acquire when they begin driving. You will require the following items in Washington:
California, Arizona, and Texas driver’s licenses may also be upgraded in the near future, making crossing the US-Mexico border easier for citizens of the United States of America. These states are presently evaluating the best alternatives for supplying the cards, as well as the implications for border security. California was on the verge of allowing EDLs; the law had passed the state senate; but, privacy concerns have caused the plan to be shelved. There was nothing in the legislation to prevent California law enforcement from accessing the RFID chips, which has raised concerns among privacy advocates that the chip may be used to track and retain more information than the average person realizes.
- According to the Department of Homeland Security’s website, the RFID chip on the card contains no information that may be used to identify the cardholder.
- The EDL is also equipped with a protected sleeve, which prohibits anybody from viewing your license without your knowledge or permission.
- Almost all of these ports are already equipped with RFID readers that can read both passports and electronic driving licenses.
- So far, EDLs have been issued to citizens of the provinces of British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec, among other places.
- EDLs will also allow those whose primary travel destination is Canada or Mexico to save money and time on the process of acquiring a passport, because the EDL will act as both their driver’s license and an identification card that will allow them to cross the border.
Tags:drivers licenses, upgraded drivers licenses, international borders, radio frequency identification, RFID, technology, drivers licenses Driving, Laws, New York, Technology are some of the categories in which this article is classified.
Enhanced Driver’s License for International Travel
Important Passport processing processes are taking longer than usual as a result of Covid-19, and this is true for both standard and expedited services. Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) issued by the state provides travelers with not just a driving license, but also documentation of their identity and citizenship while traveling over state and federal boundaries in the United States of America. In accordance with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), this card was developed to enable travelers from select border states with a quick, but safe, means of entering and exiting the nation.
When combined with a REAL-ID, an EDL can be used for domestic flight travel inside the United States.
What does an Enhanced Driver’s License offer?
Enhanced Driver’s Licenses are equipped with a variety of security features and technology that make travel both easier and more secure. In addition to a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chip and a Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) barcode, each EDL has a biometric information chip that CBP agents may scan to gain instant access to your biometric information. The top 39 land ports of entry into and out of the United States (which serve more than 95 percent of all land border crossings in and out of the United States each year) are equipped with RFID technology.
In the event that a specific port of entry does not have access to RFID, or if RFID is not functioning properly, CBP agents can use the MRZ barcode as a backup method.
An EDL is also substantially more durable and handy than a passport book, which is a plus in this situation.
How to apply for Enhanced Driver’s License?
Depending on where you reside, you may be able to apply for an Enhanced Driver’s License. Residents of the following states are the only ones who can take use of it at the moment: Consider applying for a United States Passport Card if you plan to travel to other states and want the same level of convenience. If you fulfill the residence criteria, the process for applying for an EDL in most participating states is substantially identical to the process for applying for a conventional driver’s license:
- If you have never held a driver’s license before, you must pass both the written knowledge exam and the driving skills exam before a license may be awarded. Individuals 18 and older are not compelled to take driver education, however it is highly encouraged that they do so. If you currently hold a valid driver’s license, you can apply for an EDL at the time of renewal or extension of your license’s expiration date. You must provide the relevant evidence, which may include a mix of Social Security cards, proof of identification, proof of US citizenship, and proof of presence in the United States. If you want to alter your name, you must provide legal and relevant documentation. On your driving record, you must not have any traffic offenses, license suspensions, revocations, or rejections that would prevent you from operating a motor vehicle legally.
It is important to note that in some areas, you may be needed to participate in a formal interview in order to acquire an EDL. The temporary operator’s permit or temporary upgraded ID will be granted to you once you have completed the application, had your biometrics and photographs taken, and signed the relevant declaration documents. This permit is solely good for identification purposes and is not authorized for border crossing.
Your improved license, which is valid for up to four years, should come in the mail within two to three weeks after placing your application. When it comes to the validity of your Enhanced License, it’s usually the same as the validity of your standard Driver’s license.
Enhanced Driver’s License Costs
A professional driver’s license (EDL) is often more expensive than a basic driver’s license. See the following costs for the most up-to-date information (as of 2021):
- When compared to a conventional driver’s license, an EDL is typically more expensive to get. See the following costs for the most up-to-date information (updated in 2020):
Generally, fees can be paid with cash, check, money order, or a major credit card, although certain restrictions apply.
Learn More About EDL Applications in Your State
In order to obtain the most up-to-date information on the requirements and applications for an EDL in participating states, please visit the DMV home pages listed below:
- Michigan: any Secretary of the State Office
- Minnesota: atselect Driver License Exam Stations
- New York: any Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) office
- Vermont: anyVermont DMV office
- Washington: anyEDL/EID office
- Michigan: any Secretary of the State Office
Now is the time to expedite your passport!
In Arkansas, getting an enhanced ID driver’s license requires legwork; you’ll need it by October 2020
An old television advertising for a now-defunct petroleum firm that used a star as its emblem stated that you could “leave your automobile to the man who wears the star,” referring to the days when oil companies had service stations rather than merely self-service fuel pumps. An additional star, this time on your driver’s license, signals to government personnel that you are dependable. By Oct. 1, 2020, the federal government will require that you have a “Real ID” in order to enter any federal facility or board a commercial flight, according to the Washington Post.
In order to obtain one, Arkansas residents must provide documentary proof of legal presence and identities (via one primary document – a passport or birth certificate); proof of residency (via one secondary document, such as an out-of-state driver’s license or a photo work ID, utility bill, or phone bill); and proof of Social Security number (via one secondary document) (two documents, such as a paycheck stub or a W-2 form).
- As long as you can put together the necessary papers, and if you don’t mind driving up to an hour or more to one of the 25 Arkansas revenue offices that provides them, and if you don’t mind standing in line for the required period of time, it should be a piece of cake.
- Although there has been some uncertainty around the papers necessary, even if you know what you’re expected to bring, it doesn’t guarantee you really have it with you.
- A further need is that your name appears exactly the same on all of the official documents required by the state.
- Alternatively, you may have been divorced and/or remarried, in which case your name has changed.
- STAR BILLING is a billing company that specializes in billing for stars.
- There is, however, one little exception: You’ll see a white star with five points in the top right corner, which will be encompassed in a yellow circle.
- Following the terrorist events of September 11, 2001, Congress approved the Real ID Act of 2005, which was combined with the USA PATRIOT Act.
Arkansas has been in compliance with the CFPB since October 2016, according to Scott Hardin, the communications director for the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration.
He also adds that by 2020, “you’ll be required to have it in order to board an airline or attend a federal institution.” It is worth noting that post offices are exempt from the rule: “If you didn’t need an ID to enter before, you won’t need one now,” says the author of the article.
“You can still get a regular driver’s license, but if you want to travel or visit a federal courthouse, you’ll have to start supplementing it with something else,” says the author, referring to a passport.
Any state-issued identification card would be acceptable.
In the case of a simple renewal of an existing license, the fee is intended to be $10.
“If they are interested, and if they have a requirement, we encourage that they go ahead and purchase one now, since we anticipate a rush as we near October 2020.
“We urge everyone to go to the website” – dfa.arkansas.gov – “and look at that list to ensure they have the proper papers,” Hardin adds (see accompanying story).
A list of the 25 state revenue-cum-motor vehicle department offices where you may obtain your new license is also available on the internet.
“Covered personnel,” who have completed state and federal background checks and have received training in fraudulent document identification, are responsible for keeping all personally identifiable information safe and secure.
It was late in the morning on a weekday, and the wait for driver’s licenses was just a few people long, which was a blessing in disguise.
His passport had expired a year ago, and he couldn’t remember where the dickens he’d buried his Social Security card, which had been issued in the late Bronze Age and signed in a juvenile scribble, to say nothing of his Social Security card.
(That is possible online, but depending on the state in issue, it can take a significant amount of time – as much as three months to process and ship – as well as a few dollars to complete.
The birth certificate, the insurance card, the W-2 form, and the property tax bill were all approved, collated, and scanned by the agent, and the remainder was forwarded to the client.
There’s nothing special about that.
A birth certificate, a passport, and a driver’s license are the first three pieces of documentation you’ll need to confirm your legal presence in the country.
Likewise, the demand for evidence of Social Security number is still in effect.
Bringing their bills, power bill, or whatever bill you want to bring – as long as it’s in their spouse’s name – is out of the question.” He claims that there is a workaround: Make the individual whose name appears on the utility bill sign an affidavit of ownership and identification.
As for those who are married but whose names do not match on their license and passport – “in general, names on everything need to match, and if they do not match, whether it’s due to a divorce or marriage, the supporting paperwork, such as a divorce decree or a marriage license would need to be presented along with it,” says the official.
- “That’s actually a terrific strategy,” Hardin adds.
- In order to receive the enhanced ID, the agent will ask if you want to obtain the standard ID or the enhanced ID when you renew your license, according to Hardin.
- We are more than happy to collaborate with others.
- “We well appreciate that going to the DMV is not at the top of anyone’s list of things to do.
For further information, call (501) 682-7059 or contact [email protected] The “Voluntary Enhanced Security Driver’s License” is distinguished by a small white star surrounded by a yellow border.”>Photo courtesy of Nikki Dawes The “Voluntary Enhanced Security Driver’s License” is distinguished by a small white star that is surrounded by a yellow border.
On April 10, 2018, a regular driver’s license was issued. Print Headline: Aim toward the moon and the stars: Obtaining an enhanced identity driver’s license will take some effort, but you’ll need it by October 2020 if you want to drive legally.
What exactly is REAL ID? Beginning on May 3, 2023, a REAL ID driver license, non-driver identification card, or passport will be needed to board an airplane for domestic flights or to visit a secure government facility in the United States. After then, until May 3, 2023, your current driver’s license or non-driver identification card will be acceptable. If you have a REAL ID Driver License or Non-Driver Identification Card, a star will appear in the upper right corner to signify that it may be used for federal identification purposes.
REAL ID is optional in New Hampshire, however it is recommended if you want to travel by air domestically or access a secure federal institution (such as a military installation or courtroom) and do not have a passport or other federal identification, or if you do not intend to use your passport for those reasons.
- To board a domestic aircraft or access a secure federal facility, you will be required to present another form of federally compatible identification, such as a passport, if your driver license or non-driver identity card has the phrase “NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION” on it.
- It is permissible to wait until your driver license or non-driver identification card expires before May 3, 2023 before switching from a regular license or non-driver identification card to REAL ID.
- What is the procedure for obtaining it?
- We are now providing appointments for REAL ID upgrades outside of the normal renewal period.
- The Online Document Checker is given below to assist you in determining which papers will be required at the time of your appointment.
- You will also be required to bring the relevant application for the sort of license you wish to get (Commercial Driver LicenseorDriver License).
- Making certain that your birth certificate or passport accurately reflects your present name is a crucial element of establishing your identity.
- Example: If you have been married, you will need to provide a document for each time your name has changed; therefore, if you have been married more than once, you will need to show the appropriate documentation for each marriage you have been through.
- Please feel free to make use of our Name Change Wizard, which can be found inside our Online Document Checker, to help you identify which papers you will need to bring with you to the appointment.
Support for Customer Service: If you have any further concerns about your individual case, please contact us at (603) 4-REALID to talk with a customer care specialist. Related Websites:
- Driver’s License, Application for (DSMV 312)
- Commercial Driver’s License, Application for (DSMV 450)
- Driver’s License, Application for (DSMV 450)
The New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles is located at 23 Hazen Drive in Concord, New Hampshire 03305. TDD access is available through RELAY NH (7-1-1)
Enhanced Drivers Licenses: What Are They?
State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) serve as identification and evidence of citizenship in the United States. They are issued through a secure procedure and feature technology that makes travel more convenient. The documents serve as an inexpensive and simple option for tourists who wish to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry. They may also be used to obtain a permit to drive in the United States. In order to comply with travel regulations under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), which became effective on June 1, 2009, the Department has been working with states to improve their drivers licenses and identity papers.
- While approaching the border inspection booth, you should have a proximityRadio Frequency Identification (RFID)chip that will signal a secure system to pull up your biographic and biometric data for the CBP officer, as well as a Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) or barcode that the CBP officer can read electronically if RFID is not available.
The top 39 land ports of entry, which handle more than 95 percent of all land border crossings, are equipped with RFID technology, which helps to expedite travel for those who exhibit EDLs or one of the other RFID-enabled identification papers.
Alternative to Canadian Passport
As an alternative to obtaining a Canadian passport, the Department has collaborated with Canadian provincial and federal agencies in order to pursue upgraded drivers licenses. EDLs are being issued to Canadian residents by four Canadian provinces (British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec), according to the Canadian government. When entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean at a land or sea port of entry, Canadian citizens are required to submit an EDL to the customs officer.
The RFID chip on the card does not contain any personally identifying information, and the card does not have the capability of transmitting information electronically. In order to link the information on the card to information housed in a secure Department of Homeland Security database, the card is assigned a unique identification number. This number does not include any information that might be used to identify you personally. When you obtain an improved drivers license, you will also enjoy the following benefits:
- Instructions on how to use, carry, and safeguard your license, as well as a protected sleeve that stops anybody from viewing your license
Date of last publication: August 20, 2015
Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)
US residents returning from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda must show a valid U.S. Passport, U.S. Passport Card, or an Enhanced Driver’s License, whether they are traveling by land or water to their home country (EDL). An EDL cannot be used for foreign flights because of the restrictions. For the most up-to-date information on travel document requirements, visit the United States Customs and Border Protection website. It is important to note that a temporary EDL will NOT be accepted for border crossing; thus, plan appropriately.
Additional information on identification requirements can be found on form VL-018 (see below).
Fees for licenses » An in-person visit is required for the first issuing of an EDL. Appointments are required for all in-person visits.
How to Obtain an EDL
Fill out the proper form (found at the bottom of the page) for your circumstance:
- I have a valid driver’s license that is up to date. Use formVL-040 if you need a new Vermont driver’s license or if you want to renew your Vermont driver’s license. Fill out formVL-021 if you require a new Vermont Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or if you want to renew your Vermont CDL. I require a Vermont Enhanced Non-Driver Identification Card (form VL-031)
- Please use this form (new or renewal). Form VL-017 should be used.
Proof of US Citizenship
In addition to the papers necessary for a Real ID license, an EDL needs proof of United States citizenship in addition to the other documentation. More information is available at »
Children under the age of 18 must submit an application in person with their parent(s) or guardian(s), who must provide proof of their relationship to the minor applicant. The minor kid must produce documentation of his or her Social Security number as well as proof of citizenship in the United States. If the name of a parent or guardian has changed since the original documents were issued, proof of the legal name change must be given (e.g. photocopy of a marriage certificate, etc.). Children under the age of 15 are not need to present a picture identification.
Locations issuing Enhanced Driver License/Non-Driver ID
- Montpelier, Bennington, Newport, Rutland, South Burlington, and Springfield are all located in Vermont.
Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader
1st of December, 2021 Would you like to have to renew your driver’s license or identity card less frequently? You’re going to enjoy the modifications that will take effect on January 1, 2022. Residents of Washington will be able to begin choosing an 8-year renewal cycle instead of a 6-year term at that time. It is the consequence of Substitute House Bill 1207, which was approved earlier this year in order to give citizens with additional online services and options in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak.
— and how much you want to pay every year.
|Document type||Per-year cost||Cost for 6 years||Cost for 8 years|
|Standard driver license/ID card||$9||$54||$72|
|Enhanced driver license (EDL)/Enhanced ID card (EID)||$13||$78||$104|
|Commercial driver license (CDL)*||$26||$156||$208|
*According to federal regulations, commercial drivers’ licenses with a hazardous materials endorsement must be updated every five years or sooner. Go todol.wa.gov using any smartphone, computer/laptop, or tablet to complete your renewal in the quickest and most convenient manner. It takes only a few minutes to renew your membership online. You have up to a year before your license or identification card expires to renew. In other words, if your credential expires before 2023, you may renew it online for an additional 8 years (beyond the existing expiration date) as soon as the clock strikes midnight on New Year’s Eve, regardless of when it expires.
If you want to renew by mail, you will only be able to choose from an 8-year term.
- The length of the first licenses granted in 2022 will be six years
- The terms of the first licenses issued in 2023 and 2024 will be five years. The period of the first licenses granted in 2025 will be four years. Beginning in 2026 and thereafter, licensees will have the option of renewing for a period of six or eight years. First IDs and upgraded IDs are not included, but will be available for renewal after six or eight years.
The Department of Labor will continue to provide online instruction permit alternatives. As a result of SHB 1207, the following will continue to be applicable into the new year and beyond:
- Permits for non-photo instruction can be obtained over the internet. Online renewal is available for both photo and non-photo instruction permits.
Previously, these services had been made available by a proclamation issued by the governor. They’ve established themselves as permanent residents. Comments Offon A new 8-year renewal option for driver licenses and ID cards will be available starting on January 1, 2022, according to the Department of Licensing|Department of Licensing,Driver License,Enhanced Driver License,ID Card,Motorcycles,Online Services| Tagged:8-year renewal,Commercial Driver License,Driver License,driver license renewal,ID Card,identification,Identification Card,Instruction Permit,renewal,SH Posted by the Department of Labor’s blog
REAL ID enforcement date delayed (again) until May 3, 2023
The date is April 28, 2021. Because the epidemic is preventing people from accessing licensing services across the United States, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is allowing more time to ensure that you have REAL ID-compliant identification. The REAL ID Act, which enhances identification requirements for air travel, will not be enforced until May 3, 2023, which is many years later than initially envisioned. Earlier this year, just after the COVID-19 outbreak began, the deadline was also postponed until further notice.
- The enhanced driver license (EDL) and the enhanced ID card (EID) are the two types of identification available in Washington state that comply with REAL ID requirements (EID).
- Driver licensing offices in Washington, on the other hand, are now only open by appointment.
- It is possible that obtaining a different sort of REAL ID-compliant document will be more expedient and convenient.
- All of the following are compliant with the REAL ID Act:
- The following documents are required: United States passport
- United States passport card
- Foreign passport
- Permanent resident card (green card)
- U.S. military ID
- Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
- Border crossing card
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Services employment authorization card (I-766)
- DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
- HSPD-12 PIV card
- Transportation worker identification credential
- U.S. merchant mariner credential
We recommend anyone who are looking for a qualifying document to look into alternatives to the EDL or EID at this time. Renewal of your basic license/ID online and subsequent upgrading in person are required if you wish to obtain an upgraded version. You will only be responsible for the difference in cost, which is $4 each year for the remainder of the term. If your Washington driver license or identification card expires after March 1, 2020, and you are unable to renew it, the Transportation Security Administration will accept it for up to one year after the expiration date of your license or ID.
Access to courthouses, Social Security offices, national parks, and health-care institutions will remain open as well.
The REAL ID enforcement date has been postponed (again) until May 3, 2023|Department of Licensing,Driver License,Enhanced Driver License,REAL ID|
Extensions are ending! Go online now to renew your driver license or instruction permit
25th of March, 2021 If you have put off renewing your driver’s license or instruction permit because the deadline has been extended, now is the time to take action. In reaction to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Department of Licensing (DOL) has decided that no more extensions would be granted. Verify your driver’s license or permit: Please renew it as soon as possible if its expiration date is between March 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021. Otherwise, please wait until the end of the month. It’s simple to renew your membership online!
These individuals include those under the age of 24, those above the age of 70, and those who would typically be required to attend a renewal office during this renewal cycle.
When does your extension officially come to an end? Extensions are running out of time. A summary of the extensions granted for personal driver licenses and standard instruction permits alone (identity cards and motorbike instruction permits were not included) is provided below: 2020
- Licenses and permits with expiration dates ranging from March 1, 2020, to June 30, 2020, are valid for 360 days from the date indicated on the card. You have reached the end of your extension period if your card was due to expire in March 2020. To give an example, if your card’s expiration date is March 17, 2020, your extension expired on March 12, 2021
- Licenses and permits that expire between July 1, 2020 and September 30, 2020 are valid for 270 days after the date stated on the card. For example, if your card’s expiration date is July 8, 2020, your extension will last until April 4, 2021
- Licenses and permits that expire between October 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 will be valid for 180 days after the date inscribed on the card. As an illustration, if your card’s expiration date is October 1, 2020, your extension will expire on March 30, 2021.
- Expiring licenses and permits are valid for 360 days from the date stated on the card, from March 1, 2020, to June 30, 2020. For those whose cards were due to expire in March 2020, the time for extending them has passed. If your card’s expiration date is March 17, 2020, your extension period expired on March 12, 2021
- Licenses and permits that expire between July 1 and September 30, 2020 are valid for 270 days after the date inscribed on your card. To provide an example, if your card’s expiration date is July 8, 2020, your extension will last until April 4, 2021
- Licenses and permits that expire between October 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 will be valid for 180 days after they expire on the card. Using the previous example, if your credit card’s expiration date is October 1, 2020, your extension is valid until March 30, 2021.
Not interested in completing the calculations? It is possible to verify the expiration date of your driver’s license online by entering your driver’s license number and birthday, or by logging into License eXpress. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by delaying the renewal. Your next renewal cycle will begin on the date of your card’s original expiration, and you will be charged the same amount as you would have been if you had not requested an extension. If you have the opportunity to renew your driver’s license online, please do not schedule an appointment at a driver licensing office.
- The fact that you do your business remotely helps to keep you, other customers, and our personnel safe and healthy.
- Do you want a more powerful license?
- It is necessary to collect improved papers personally because of identification verification methods in place.
- If you want to be sure you’re prepared for REAL ID, you should examine alternatives to an improved ID document.
- You may renew your ordinary license or ID now and then upgrade later for only $4 a year for the remaining time in your cycle, saving you hundreds of dollars.
- Most commercial driver licenses (CDLs) and commercial learner permits (CLPs) having expiration dates on or after March 1, 2020 will have their validity extended until May 31, 2021, according to the Department of Transportation.
- We do not know whether or not any more CDL/CLP extensions will be implemented at this time.
- As soon as possible, you should renew your commercial license or permit.
- Comments Offon Extensions are coming to an end!
- Tagged:Department of Licensing,Driver License,extensions of driver licenses,Instruction Permit,instruction permit extension,Online Services,renew online,Washington|Permalink Posted by the Department of Labor’s blog
Why you should sign up for License eXpress
The 7th of January, 2021 What if I told you that you can securely manage your driver’s license or identity card, as well as all of your vehicle, trailer, and boat licenses, in one convenient location? Using License eXpress (LX), you may complete all of your transactions with the Washington State Department of Licensing in an one location. You may be able to skip making a trip to the license office if you use LX. All you need is a smartphone, tablet, or computer that is linked to the internet.
No software or downloads are required. It is completely free and simple to use. LX simplifies the process of doing typical transactions such as license/ID renewals, tab/decal renewals, and address changes, as well as the following:
- To apply for your first Washington driver license, ID card, or upgraded driver license/ID, you must submit an application in advance. Print out your temporary driver’s license. Order a new driver’s license or identification card
- Add a motorbike license or endorsement to your resume. Obtain information on reinstatement
- Please submit your request for a DUI hearing. Purchase a copy of your driving history
- Reported a car or boat transaction and followed up to verify whether or not the new owner had transferred the title into their name. Examine the date on which your license or registration expires, as well as the cost of renewing it. Sign up for (or update) email notifications about your subscription renewals. a great deal more
You information is protected by the Secure Access Washington (SAW) service provided by the state of Washington, which employs a highly secure login procedure. It also prefills your personal information, allowing you to save time when renewing your LX membership or using any other LX services. You may even execute specific commercial transactions with LX, such as the following:
- Management of your driving training school
- Administration of your car fleet Obtain e-permits, which may be used to issue, cancel, reprint, extend, and other functions (dealers)
- Tow truck operators should be notified about abandoned automobiles. Provide information about the car inventory at your wrecking yard (wreckers). Vehicles received and dismantled (scrap processors) should be reported. Vehicles must be declared a total loss by the insurance carrier. Look up a plate or vessel (formerly known as IVIPS)
Another method of renewing your professional license is available. LX is only one of the many reasons to visit dol.wa.gov. We’re continually adding new features and services to our online offerings. There are few exceptions to the rule, even though most license/ID renewals may be completed through License eXpress. Temporary, pandemic-related waivers enable practically anybody to renew online, including those under the age of 24, those above the age of 70, and those who renewed online the previous time they were granted.
Reasons to Enroll in License eXpress|Boat/Vessel Licensing,Businesses and Professions,Customer Service,Department of Licensing,Driver License,Enhanced Driver License,ID Card,Online Services|
With REAL ID still a year away, you have plenty of time — and options
1st of October, 2020 Are you concerned that your ID may soon be rejected at the airport? Rest easily and maintain your health. To make sure you’re ready for REAL ID, you have another year to prepare. It was decided to postpone till October 1, 2021, due to the epidemic that occurred in the previous year. This gives you extra time to make sure you have everything you need to board an airline or get entry to government institutions such as military bases, if necessary. The state of Washington offers two types of compliant identification: the enhanced driver license (EDL) and the improved ID card (EID).
It’s possible that you already have everything you need.
- The following documents are required: United States passport
- United States passport card
- Foreign passport
- Permanent resident card (green card)
- U.S. military ID
- Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
- Border crossing card
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Services employment authorization card (I-766)
- DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
- HSPD-12 PIV card
- Transportation worker identification credential
- U.S. merchant mariner credential
In order to upgrade your normal Washington license or ID to an upgraded one, you may want to explore one of the methods listed above rather than immediately applying for a new one. EDLs and electronic identification cards (EIDs) can only be obtained by visiting a driver licensing office, and appointments – you’ll need one to get in — are difficult to come by. Because of social distance and other safety precautions in place, capacity at our 38 open locations around the state is approximately 50% at this time.
- We make every effort to ensure that patients who require immediate attention are able to schedule an appointment.
- Instead of upgrading to an EDL/EID until the health emergency has passed, you may find it easier to obtain a passport or other form of identification that complies with REAL ID requirements.
- Residents having regular driver licenses and identification cards who intend to upgrade to an upgraded version in the future can do so for just the difference in cost per year ($4 per year).
- Even when REAL ID becomes mandatory, your normal driver’s license or identification card will continue to be valid for driving inside the United States or using the train.
- The REAL ID Act, approved by Congress in 2005, is intended to aid in the fight against terrorism and identity theft.
Spanish/español Take a look at this in Spanish. Offon’s Observations With REAL ID still a year away, you still have plenty of time — and alternatives — to get your act together. – Posted by the Department of Labor’s blog
What is an Enhanced Drivers License?
It is not necessary for every motorist in the United States to have an enhanced driver’s license; nonetheless, a select set of people may choose to explore acquiring this specialized license. Who will require such a license, and how can you acquire one if you find yourself in need of one? Continue reading to find out what the solutions are. If you are one of the people who potentially benefit from this unique driver’s license, it is only in your best interests to learn everything you can about it and how to obtain one for yourself as soon as possible.
A Look at the Enhanced Driver’s License
Individuals who are traveling to the United States from Mexico, Canada, or the Caribbean can receive an upgraded driver’s license as a special permit. It acts as a driver’s license, an identity card, and a proof of citizenship in the United States. It is valid for three years. It makes it far easier to acquire access into the nation and is also significantly less expensive than the expense of acquiring a visa. Furthermore, it is more advantageous and fulfills a broader range of functions than a single passport alone.
The enhanced driver’s license is now available to those who seek to live in the states of Vermont, New York, Washington, and Michigan and who wish to receive a driver’s license.
In order to receive the enhanced license, those who currently hold a current and valid driver’s license in the state in question are not required to submit to any further testing.
How to Obtain an Enhanced Driver’s License
Obtaining an upgraded driver’s license is a straightforward process. Although you must be at least 18 years old to apply for a driver’s license, a special permission is available for teenagers who meet the requirements. The Enhanced Intermediate Driver’s license is the name given to this permit. For the enhanced license, you must submit your application in person, and you must reside in one of the states that presently offers the enhanced licensing program. To receive your driver’s license, you will need to go to your local DMV, which stands for Department of Motor Vehicles.
These payments are collected by the state.
The rates differ depending on where you live in the country.
- An improved driver’s license is a simple process that may be completed in minutes. To apply for a driver’s license, you must be at least 18 years old
- However, there is a special permission available for minors who are under 18. The Enhanced Intermediate Driver’s License is the name given to this permit. For the enhanced license, you must submit your application in person, and you must live in one of the states that presently offers the enhanced licensing program. To receive your driver’s license, you will need to go to your local DMV, which stands for Department of Motor vehicle. As you might anticipate, there are fees associated with obtaining an improved driver’s license. The expenses are as follows: These fees must be paid at the time of application for the license, and they must be paid again each time a new license is applied for. According on your state, the costs will be different. As of right now, the following are the licensing fees:
What you Need to Apply for an Enhanced License
To be eligible for an upgraded driver’s license, you must bring a number of materials with you to your appointment on the day of your appointment. If you do not provide these materials, your application will not be completed, and you will be forced to wait a significantly longer period of time to obtain your license.
There are no exceptions to this rule, so if you are missing one or more of the required things, be sure to collect them before your scheduled appointment time. It is necessary to have the following items:
- Proof of Residency: You will be required to provide proof of residency in the state in which you are seeking for a license. This can be a copy of a lease, a utility bill, or other official documentation. Identity documentation: If you have a state-issued identification card, that is all you will need to prove your identity. A passport or other form of citizenship in the United States is not necessary unless otherwise stated. Please keep in mind that all of the documents that are submitted to the local DMV must be in their original form. There will be no duplicates allowed
Fast Facts: EnhancedDriver’s License
The following are some quick information regarding the enhanced license that you might find interesting.
- Some quick information regarding the upgraded license that you might find interesting are as follows:
There are a number of distinctions between an enhanced license and a conventional license in terms of functionality. One of the distinctions is that the phrase ‘enhanced’ is written on the front of the license rather than the back. The license also incorporates an RFIDchip, which makes it simpler to pass through border crossings, as well as a flag image, which signifies that the holder is a citizen of the United States.