What documents are required to renew drivers license?
- Each state maintains different policies, but in general you will need to provide some or all of the following documents: Your current drivers license. Your full legal name. Your Social Security number. Proof of legal presence, identity, and date of birth. Proof of residency. Proof of a name change (if applicable).
What documents do I need to renew my license?
Go to your nearest DLTC with the following:
- Identity document (ID) and a copy of your ID, old driving licence card or valid South African passport.
- Four black-and-white ID photographs (before you have photographs taken confirm with the DLTC how many photos they require)
- Proof of residential address e.g. utility account.
How do I renew my driving licence in Netherlands?
You can renew your driving licence online. Or you can make an appointment to renew your driving licence at the municipal counter at City Hall Spui or the Leyweg City Office. You will pay the fees when you apply. You will be able to collect your driving licence when it is ready.
How much does it cost to renew driver’s license in Oklahoma?
In most cases you will pay the license fee of $38.50. If you are older than 62, you will pay between $13.75 and $21.25. If you are older than 65, the renewal is free. Receive your new license.
Do you need birth certificate to renew Texas drivers license?
If you have not renewed your license since October 2008 and have not verified your citizenship with the Department of Public Safety (DPS) then you will need to do so before you can renew your license. Below is a list of accepted documents to show citizenship or legal status: Birth Certificate or Birth Record.
Do you need photos for drivers Licence renewal?
If your license has already expired, you would need 2 black and white ID photographs for the temporary licence (optional). You can bring these along. There is also a booth at most testing stations that will take the photographs for you.
Do I need a new photo when renewing my driving Licence?
If you have a photocard licence, you will need to send a new passport-type photo with your application form. If you have a paper licence, you will need to send an up-to-date passport-type photo with your application. Postal applications take up to 3 weeks.
Can you renew your driver’s license online in NL?
No, government-issued photo IDs cannot be renewed online. Please visit your nearest Motor Registration Division or Government Services Centre for renewal.
Can I renew my driver’s license after 2 years?
Driving licences never expire. If your driving licence card has expired, there are no penalties when you need to renew. Driving licence renewals prices vary across South Africa, starting from R140 in the Western Cape.
How long does it take to get your drivers license in the Netherlands?
If successful, you will immediately receive both a certificate of competence (Verklaring van rijvaardigheid) and a certificate of fitness (Verklaring van geschiktheid). Once you present them to your municipality, you will receive your new driving licence within five days.
Can you drive with an expired license in Oklahoma?
If you’re driving with a recently expired license, you don’t have to worry about getting in trouble. As part of its coronavirus response, the state is giving an indefinite grace period to Oklahomans whose licenses expired on or after February 15, 2020.
What documents do I need for a REAL ID in Oklahoma?
In order to obtain a REAL ID you will need to provide proof of identity/lawful presence in the United States, your social security number and two proofs of your current Oklahoma address. All documents must be in printed, not electronic format.
What happens if my Oklahoma drivers license expires?
There is a 60-day grace period after the expiration date, when you can get an oklahoma driver’s license renewal without any late fees. You may still get an Oklahoma license renewal for up to two years after the expiration date as long as you still have the license.
What documents do I need to renew my Texas ID?
What documents do I need to renew a Texas driver’s license?
- Proof of identity.
- Proof of Social Security Number (SSN)
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or up-to-date lawful presence for non-citizens.
- Proof of legal name change.
What documents are needed for a Texas ID?
How to Apply for a Texas Identification Card
- U.S. Citizenship or, if you are not a U.S. Citizen, evidence of lawful presence.
- Texas Residency.
- Identity and.
- Social Security Number.
How can I prove my identity without a photo ID?
You can use any document from the following list:
- State identification (ID) card.
- Driver license.
- US passport or passport card.
- US military card (front and back)
- Military dependent’s ID card (front and back)
- Permanent Resident Card.
- Certificate of Citizenship.
- Certificate of Naturalization.
Driver’s License or ID Card Renewal
It’s critical to renew driver’s licenses (DLs), identity cards (ID cards), and provisional instruction permits (PIPs) prior to their expiration dates to avoid penalties. The card has a date that indicates when it will expire. A California driver’s license can be renewed in person at a DMV office, through mail, or online if you already have one. Driving with an expired driver’s license is against the law, and you may face a citation. When renewing a driver’s license that has already expired, there are no late fines.
Renew your DL online
If you meet the following criteria, you may be able to renew your driver’s license online:
- Neither your address nor your personal description are required to be changed. If you are not applying for a REAL ID compliantDL or ID for the first time, go here. Are not renewing a commercial driver’s license
When you renew your license online, you can also register to vote if you are qualified to do so.
Renew your DL in person
In order to renew your driver’s license in person, follow these steps:
- Bring in your completed DMV renewal notice (cross out any outdated information and replace it with the most up-to-date information)
- Complete a driver’s license or identification card application
- Have your thumbprint captured and scanned
- Pass the eyesight test
- Make an appointment to have your picture taken. Pay the nonrefundable application cost (both the application and the fee are valid for 12 months). Obtain a passing score on the knowledge test(s) (if required). If you are required to take a knowledge exam, you will be informed in your renewal letter. Each of the needed knowledge examinations can be passed three times if you do not fail the first two. If you fail the same exam three times, your application is no longer valid, and you must submit a new application for consideration. We don’t conduct knowledge examinations within 30 minutes of closing time in order to ensure that enough time is available for testing. You must also present verification of your identification and residency when applying for a REAL ID in person, which may be found on the list of valid REAL ID papers.
Following completion of these procedures, the DMV will give you a temporary driver’s license (DL) until your new license arrives in the mail. The temporary license is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance. Within 3-4 weeks, you will receive a new driver’s license in the mail. For more information on your new license, call the DMV at 1-800-777-0133 after 60 days to inquire about the progress of your application.
Renew your DL by mail
If you can respond no to all of the following questions, you may be qualified to renew your driver’s license by mail:
- Is your driver’s license due to expire in more than 120 days from today’s date? When your present driver’s license expires, will you be 70 years old (or older)? (Application is not permitted after December 6, 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.) Currently, are you subject to any kind of driving probation or suspension? Has your written pledge to appear in court been broken within the previous two years
- If so, please explain. You’ve already received two consecutive five-year extension notices in the mail or over the internet
- Do you hold more than one driver’s license from different states or jurisdictions? For the first time, are you submitting an application for a REAL ID compliantDL/ID card? Are you submitting an application to renew a commercial driver’s license?
If you meet the requirements but have not yet received your renewal notification in the mail, fill out the California Driver License Renewal By Mail Eligibility Information (DL 410 FO)form to verify your eligibility.
Mail your form (along with a check for the renewal fee) to:
Department of Motor Vehicles, Renewal By Mail Unit, PO Box 942890, Sacramento, CA 94290-0001, Attention: Renewal By Mail Unit When you renew your membership by mail, you can also register to vote if you are eligible. If you already have a California REAL ID driver’s license, you may renew it in person at a DMV office, by mail, or online. If you do not currently have a California REAL ID driver’s license, you can apply for one online. It is prohibited to drive with a REAL ID DL that has expired, and you may be subject to a citation.
Renew your REAL ID DL online
If you meet the following requirements, you may be able to renew your REAL ID DL online:
- Neither your address nor your personal description are required to be changed. Are not renewing a commercial driver’s license
A CDL can be renewed using the internet. If you are a commercial driver and your commercial driver’s license (CDL) has been expired for more than two years, you will be required to complete a skills test for the kind of commercial motor vehicle you will be operating to renew your license. In order to renew your CDL in person, you must do the following:
- You can either fill out a CDL Application or bring in the DMV renewal notification that was mailed to you (cross out any outdated information and type in the current information)
- Visit a DMV office, where you will be able to do the following:
- Every renewal must be accompanied by a copy of your residency documentation. If you are renewing for the first time since May 10, 2017, you must provide BD/LP documentation. Completed10-Year History Record Check (DL 939) (if you have been awarded a driver’s license of any sort in another state or jurisdiction during the previous 10 years)
- Have your thumbprint captured and scanned
- Pass the eyesight test
- Have your picture taken
- And so on. Pay the nonrefundable application cost (both the application and the fee are valid for 12 months). Take the knowledge test(s) and see how you do (if required). If you are required to take a knowledge exam, you will be informed in your renewal letter. Each of the needed knowledge examinations can be passed three times if you do not fail the first two. If you fail the same exam three times, your application will be deemed invalid, and you will be required to reapply for the position in question. We do not conduct knowledge examinations within 30 minutes of the end of the day to ensure that enough time is available for testing. The following papers are required to be presented when applying for a REAL ID in person: evidence of your identification and residency from the list of valid REAL ID documents
- And proof of your citizenship from the list of acceptable REAL ID documents.
In the event that you meet all of the conditions, we will give you a temporary driver’s license (DL) to use until you get your new license in the mail. The temporary license is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance. Within 3-4 weeks, you will receive your driving license in the mail. If you haven’t gotten your new driver’s license after 60 days, contact the DMV at 1-800-777-0133 to inquire about the status of your application. Your California Driver’s License Application and cost are valid for 12 months from the date you submit your online application.
Occasionally, your application and fee may expire before you have been in possession of your instruction permit for the requisite six-month period (for example, if you complete the online application, but wait over six months to go to a DMV office to get your instruction permit).
You will get cumulative credit for the period you spent in possession of your temporary instruction permit, which will be applied toward the six-month requirement.
Remember to bring both your expired and current instruction permits with you when you take your driving test to demonstrate your creditworthiness. To renew your instruction permit, follow these steps:
- Fill out a new California Driver’s License/Identification Card application
- Visit a DMV office, where you will be able to do the following:
- Verify your identity by presenting a valid identification document. Your current name must be the same as the name on your identification document. Present valid residence documentation (if you have never held a California driver’s license or identification card)
- Make a nonrefundable application fee payment. (The application and fee are valid for a period of 12 months.)
- Have your thumbprint captured and scanned
- Pass the eyesight test
- Make an appointment to have your picture taken. Take the knowledge exam to find out more (s). Each of the needed knowledge examinations can be passed three times if you do not fail the first two. If you fail the same exam three times, your application will be deemed invalid, and you will be required to reapply for the position in question. We don’t conduct knowledge examinations within 30 minutes of closing time in order to ensure that enough time is available for testing. Present your driving training school certificate(s) to demonstrate that you have completed driver education and/or driver training programs
We provide three different sorts of identification cards.
- REAL ID: Beginning on May 3, 2023, you will be required to present a federally compliant identification document (such as a passport, military ID, or REAL ID) in order to board a domestic flight or enter secure federal facilities, such as military bases, federal courthouses, and other federal buildings. Regular identification card: valid for six birthdates from the date of application
- A senior citizen identification card that is valid for eight birthdates from the date of application (the applicant must be at least 62 years old)
To renew your ID card by mail:
The following questions must all be answered with a ‘NO’ in order for you to be eligible:
- Have your last two identification cards been renewed through mail or the internet
- Is your ID card more than a year old and no longer valid? Changing or fixing your name is something you should consider.
The California Identification Card Renewal by Mail Eligibility (DL 410 ID)form must be completed and mailed to the California Department of Motor Vehicles, Attn: Renewal by Mail Unit, PO Box 942890 Sacramento, CA 94290-0001, along with the appropriaterenewal cost. The back of your payment paper should have your identification card number written on it.
To renew an ID card in person:
- Complete the application for an aDL or an ID Card
- Visit a DMV office, where you will be able to do the following:
- Pay the application cost (there is no price for senior citizen identification cards)
- And Have your thumbprint captured and scanned
- Make an appointment to have your picture taken.
Within 3-4 weeks, you will receive your new identification card in the mail. If you have not received your new ID card within 60 days, please contact us at 1-800-777-0133 to inquire about the progress of your application. When it comes time to renew a limited term driver’s license or identification card for someone who has legal status in the United States, the DMV will send a renewal notification to the address that has been provided to them. The notification will request that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) provide updated extension information/documents to the recipient.
- But if an applicant’s identification document expires within 5 years of the application date, his or her driver’s license (DL) will be regarded to be a “limited term” driver’s license, and its expiration date will be matched to that of the applicant’s identity document.
- There are no modifications that may be made to your address, date of birth, physical description, or license classification for security reasons.
- When both eyes are examined together, our vision screening standard is at least 20/40, and when only one eye is tested, our criterion is at least 20/70 in the weaker eye.
- If you have recently been disabled and your condition impairs your ability to drive safely, you must renew your driver’s license in person at your local DMV office.
- The reporting of disabilities that are not likely to worsen over time (e.g., loss of a limb or loss of an eye) and do not prohibit you from driving safely are exempt from the requirement (as long as the condition was previously reported to DMV).
How to renew a license
Approximately 3-4 weeks after placing your order, you will receive your new identification card. We recommend that you call us at 1-800-777-0133 to check on the progress of your new ID card if you have not received it within 60 days. DMV will send you a notice when it is time to renew your limited term driver’s license or identification card if you have legal status in the United States. The notification will request that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) provide updated extension information/documents to the public.
- In contrast, if the applicant’s identity document expires in fewer than 5 years from the date of application, the DL will be designated a “limited term” DL, and the expiration date of the DL will coincide with that of the applicant’s identification document.
- To renew your driver’s license by mail, you must provide your current address on your renewal notification and indicate that you have relocated.
- If you have recently undergone surgery to fix one eye for distant vision and the other for close-up vision, you may not fulfill the screening criterion and will need to renew your driver’s license in person at a DMV office in order to continue driving.
- A behind-the-wheel driving test may be necessary to demonstrate that you are capable of compensating for your impairment in certain situations.
You do not need to declare any disabilities that are not likely to deteriorate over time (e.g., amputation or loss of an eye) and do not prohibit you from driving safely (as long as the condition was previously reported to DMV).
Beginning in May 2023, you will be required to provide an Enhanced or REAL ID in order to board a domestic aircraft (unless you have a passport). Find out how to obtain an Enhanced or REAL ID.
Renew your license before it expires, or you could face fines
Driving with an expired license and receiving a traffic citation will result in the imposition of fines and penalties.
- 60 days or less after the expiration date: $25 to $40 plus state and local surcharges
- More than 60 days after the expiration date: $75 to $300 plus state and local surcharges
You can renew up to 1 year before and 2 years after your license expires
Any time throughout this period, you can renew your driver’s license without affecting the expiration date of your new driver’s license or the costs. It is necessary to apply for a new license if your current license has been expired for more than two years. You must pass the vision and writing tests, as well as a pre-licensing course and a road test, in order to obtain your driver’s license. Learn how to obtain a driver’s license.
If you are turning 21 soon
If you renew your license more than 40 days before your 21st birthday, your license will still have the words “UNDER 21” printed on it. If you renew your license less than 40 days before your 21st birthday, your license will not have the phrase “UNDER 21” on it.
Your address must match the one on our records
Changing your address online is the initial step, followed by a renewal. There is no assurance that your DMV paperwork will be forwarded to your new location by the United States Postal Service. Learn how to modify your mailing address. Please keep in mind that your mailing and home addresses may be different. If you have a regular license, your postal address will be displayed on the license. If you have a REAL ID or an Enhanced license, your residence address will be displayed on the card. More information on the various licensing kinds may be found here.
Ways to renew
If you currently have an Enhanced or REAL ID, or if you choose to preserve your Standard ID, you can renew your license or permit on the internet (unless you have acommercial license). Your document type will remain the same for the time being.
You will need to pass an eye test by an approved provider
- Complete the Vision Test Report (PDF)(MV-619) with the assistance of a medical practitioner, and then enter the report information into the online transaction.
- If you renew online, you will not be required to send or deliver the report to us. A physician, a physician’s assistant, an ophthalmologist, an optometrist, an optician, a registered nurse, or a nursing professional are all examples of approved professions.
For those who had their license expire between March 1, 2020 and August 31, 2021, and who had not yet renewed their license, you can do so online today by self-certifying that their eyesight is acceptable to the Department of Motor Vehicles. You must, however, get your eyesight tested and submit the findings to the DMV within one year of the date on which your license is renewed in order to qualify. You may submit your findings using the following link:
- You can get your eyes examined at a local DMV office, by using an approved vision test provider, by delivering a Vision Test Report (MV-619)through mail or electronic means, or by visiting an approved vision test provider. Please keep in mind that the process for renewing a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is different.
License renewal may be done online. Download and print a temporary license in PDF format to have on hand until your new license is sent to your address. Due to an unusually high volume of renewals, you may experience a delay in receiving your permanent document. Your temporary document is valid for 60 days from the date of issue.
It is possible to renew your Enhanced or REAL ID by mail if you already have one, or if you wish to maintain your Standard ID as well. Your document type will remain the same for the time being. Fill out the renewal notification we mailed you and send it back to us with your payment.
- A completed Vision Test Report (PDF) must be submitted (MV-619) – or get your vision checked by a vision registry provider who has been approved (find a test location today)
- A cheque or money order made payable to the ‘Commissioner of Motor Vehicles’ (as shown in the Fee Schedule)
The Application for Permit, Driver License, or Non-Driver ID Card (PDF)(MV-44)can be used if you did not receive a renewal notification.
Mail it to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles at 207 Genesee Street, Suite 6Utica, NY 13501-2874 if you did not receive a renewal notice.
At a DMV office
- Modify from a basic ID to an Enhanced or REAL ID (see how to acquire an Enhanced or REAL ID)
- Want to update your photo
- Want to change the class of your license
- Or any combination of these things
To renew a Standard document type
- Make sure to fill out the renewal notice (MV-2) that you got in the mail. To renew your permit, driver license, or non-driver ID card if you did not get a renewal notification, complete an Application for Permit, Driver License, or Non-Driver ID Card (PDF)(MV-44)
- Submit your application to a DMV office.
- Your existing Standard license
- A notice of renewal or an application for renewal
- Payment can be done using a credit/debit card, a check, or a money order made payable to the Commission of Motor Vehicles.
See the DMV’s location, procedures, and reservation information by clicking on the link below.
Fees and payment
Your renewal charge is printed on the renewal application that we mail to you and is also visible before you complete your payment online. See the table below for a breakdown of the fees associated with various types of licenses.
|DRIVER LICENSE CLASS||FEE||+ MCTD* FEE|
|A, B or CCommercial Driver License (CDL)||$164.50||$180.50|
|D or DJ (Motorist / Operator – most common)||$64.50||$80.50|
|E (Taxi / Livery)||$112.50||$128.50|
|M or MJ (Motorcycle)||$72.50||$88.50|
Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fees apply in the following counties: Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island); Dutchess, Nassau and Orange Counties; Rockland, Suffolk and Westchester Counties; and Westchester County. Every six months that the permit or driving license will be valid, there will be a $1.00 fee charged by the MCTD. The MCTD charge for an 8-year driver’s license is $16, and it is payable in cash. An enhanced driving license (EDL) is available for an extra charge of $30.00.
There is no extra payment for a REAL ID; instead, only the usual renewal fee will be assessed.
Paying via credit/debit card: If you submit your application by mail or in person at a DMV office, you can pay using a check or money order made payable to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.
The following are acceptable to the DMV:
- Cards accepted by the company include the American Express® Card, Discover Card®/Novus®, MasterCard®, MasterCard® Debit card without a personal identification number (PIN), VISA® Card, Visa Debit Card without a personal identification number (PIN), and VISA Debit Card with a personal identification number (PIN).
It is possible to have the term “Veteran” placed in the upper left corner of your picture document if you are a qualified former member of the United States military who was honorably discharged. Learn how to obtain the veteran designation on your driver’s license. If you are currently serving in the military, please consult our military resources page for additional information on renewing your membership. We appreciate your service!
How to renew if you are out of the state or country
- The renewal notice we mailed you (MV-2), or if you don’t have it, use theApplication for Permit, Driver License, or Non-Driver ID (PDF)(MV-44)
- A Vision Test Report (PDF)(MV-619) completed by an eye care professional
- A check or money order made payable to ‘Commissioner of Motor Vehicles’
- And a pre-addressed priority mail return envelope with your application. If you have any questions, please This will assist us in ensuring that your license is sent to the proper address.
Renew online only if you
- Have a valid New York driver’s license
- Have had an eye exam within the past 12 months that has been recorded in the DMV Vision Registry
If you renew your license online, your license will not be forwarded to you if you live outside of the state or outside of the nation.
Temporary visitors and international students who have a REAL ID
If the Temporary Visitor status that the DMV has on file has not expired, you can renew your license online, through the mail, or in person at any of the DMV’s locations. Upon receiving notification from the United States Department of Homeland Security that your Temporary Visitor status has been extended, you must visit a DMV office with your updated papers (DHS). We will make the necessary changes to our records to reflect that your Temporary Visitor status has been extended, allowing you to renew your driver’s license.
Changing license class when renewing
When you renew your membership online, you are unable to modify your class.
When you renew your license by mail or in person at a DMV location, you can make the following modifications. Other modifications need both a written and a driving exam. (See how to obtain a commercial driver’s license or how to obtain a motorbike license.) If you decide to renew,
- If you are renewing by mail, send a letter indicating that your class has changed in your renewal envelope. Inform the DMV person of the change if you are visiting a DMV office.
See the DMV’s location, procedures, and reservation information by clicking on the link below. You will be required to pay a renewal fee for your new driver license class in order to continue driving.
How to Renew Your Texas Driver License, Commercial Driver License, Motorcycle License or Identification Card
It is possible to renew most driver’s licenses and identity cards up to two years before and after the expiration date, in most cases. During this time period, you have a number of simple choices for renewing your Texas driver’s license or identity card, including the following:
- Online, over the phone, via mail, or in person at your local driver licensing office are all options.
Additional conditions for renewal apply to the categories listed below. More information may be found in the section below:
- Driver Licenses or ID Cards that have been expired for more than two years
- Driver Licenses or ID Cards for drivers aged 79 or older
- Learner and Provisional Driver Licenses for drivers under the age of eighteen
- Learner and Provisional Driver Licenses for drivers under the age of eighteen Driver’s license or identification card for a limited period of time
- Currently residing outside of the state
Online or Telephone Renewal
If you want to renew your Texas driver’s license, motorcycle license, or identity card, the most expedient method is to do so online or by phone. It is necessary for you to satisfy the following requirements: Driver’s license in the state of Texas
- At your last visit to a driver licensing office, you renewed your driver’s license in person. You hold a driver’s license in Class C, M, or CM, or a commercial driver’s license in Class A, AM, B, BM, C, or CM, but you do not have a hazardous material endorsement. You will not be able to renew a commercial driver’s license with a hazardous materials endorsement using the online system. The validity of your driver’s license has expired or will expire in less than two years, whichever is the case. You are at least 30 days away from attaining the age of majority, and your driver’s license is a provisional license
- It is true that you are younger than 79 years of age
- Because of this, your vision, as well as your physical and mental health, have not altered in a way that would impair your ability to drive safely since your previous renewal
- You have a valid medical certificate on file if you have a commercial driver’s license
- Your medical certificate has not expired if you have a commercial driver’s license. Your license is in good standing (it has not been suspended or revoked), and you have no outstanding warrants or unpaid tickets. Please see ourLicense Eligibilitypage for more information on determining your eligibility
- Your Social Security Number has already been entered into the system
- You are a citizen of the United States
- You have your most recent driver’s license in your hands, as well as the audit number on the card, or you can answer security questions to authenticate your identity if necessary.
Identification Card for the State of Texas
- When you renewed your ID card the last time, you went to a driving licensing office in person. A valid ID card is one that has not expired in less than two years or one that has not expired in less than two years. You are at least eighteen years of age
- Your Social Security Number has already been entered into the system
- You are a citizen of the United States
- Have your most recent identification card, the audit number from your card, or be able to answer security questions to prove your identity on hand.
To complete the card renewal procedure, you must have the following items in your possession if you match the requirements for the card you are attempting to renew:
- Your current driver’s license or identity card (the one you’re renewing)
- Your current passport
- If you renew your driver’s license online, you’ll need a printer or an email address so that you may print or email your temporary driver’s license and payment receipt. When renewing your driver’s license over the phone, you will not be granted a temporary license or receipt. A valid credit card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express)
- And a valid identification document. Your Social Security Number’s last four digits
Alternatively, you may renew by phone by calling 1-866-DL RENEW (1-866-357-3639) or starting the online renewal process. During the process of renewing your membership online, you will be given the chance to submit and/or update your emergency contact information.
If you got a renewal invitation in the mail, you have the option of renewing your membership online or by phone. See the section above titled “Online or Telephone Renewals” for more information. Please complete all of the instructions on the form if you wish to renew via mail.
In-Person at your local driver license office
You may like to utilize our interactiveREAL ID Document Check Application to aid you in preparing for your Driver License Office Visit. Please see the instructions below. Simply follow the instructions, and at the conclusion of the process, you will receive a tailored checklist of the papers you should bring with you to your appointment. Please contact your local driver licensing office if you are unable to renew your driving license online, via phone, or through the mail due to your eligibility.
Once you have gathered all of the necessary documentation, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Completing the renewal application prior to arriving at your local office (this form is also accessible at all driver licensing offices) is recommended. Appointments should be made at a driving licensing office
- The following paperwork should be provided to the licensing and permit specialist:
- A completed application for the renewal of a driving license or identity card
- Proof of citizenship in the United States(regardless of whether you have previously submitted this information)
- Or, if you are not an American citizen, proof of lawful presence in the United States
- Identification (just one primary, secondary, or supporting document is necessary), as well as a Social Security Number*
- Provide your signature on your driver’s license or identification card. Fingerprints should be provided. Take a photograph of yourself
- Make payment for the application cost. Pass the eyesight test with flying colors
The confirmation of personal information, such as your date of birth or Social Security number, will be required as well. If your Social Security Number is not already included in the driver’s record, you will be required to submit documentation to prove that you are the owner of the number. (For both a driver’s license and an identification card, documentation proving a Social Security Number is necessary.) Before we may renew your Texas driver’s license or identification card, we will ask you to verify your social security number (SSN), your identity, and your citizenship in order to increase security, decrease the risk of identity theft or fraud, and maintain the integrity of the issuing process.
Address Confidentiality Program
Visit theAddress Confidentiality Programpage for more information about the Address Confidentiality Program.
Driver Licenses or ID Cards (expired for more than two years)
Renewal of an Expired Driver’s License Licenses or identification cards that have been expired for more than two years are not eligible for renewal. If your driver’s license or identification card has been expired for more than two years, you must comply with the following requirements:
- Consult ourLicense Eligibilitypage to determine whether or not you are eligible to apply for a driver’s license. Complete all of the prerequisites for a new identification card or driver license (including passing the knowledge and driving exams)
- Apply in person at a driving license office if you are a first-time applicant.
Driver’s licenses or identification cards (Drivers Age 79 or Older) If you are 79 years old or older and have a driver’s license or identification card, you must renew your license or ID card in person at a driver licensing office. For further information, please see the Drivers Age 79 or Olderpage.
Learner and Provisional Driver License (Under 18)
If you are under the age of 18, you must renew your driver’s license in person at a driver licensing office. Fill out the renewal application and bring one of the following* items with you:
- The Verification of Enrollment (VOE) form (the signature on the VOE form is required. In some cases, a school official’s stamped or computer produced signature will suffice), or a High School Diploma, or a Graduated Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- A copy of the most recent report card, which should contain an attendance record (this may be acceptable during the summer months when school is not in session)
A certificate of completion of driver education is required if you are upgrading from a learner’s license to a provisional license. * If you submitted a VOE when you obtained your learner’s permit, you will not be needed to present one while renewing your license. You may find out more about these criteria by going to theteen driversweb page.
Limited-Term Driver License or ID Card
Renewal for a Limited Period of Time In order to renew a limited-term driver’s license or identification card, you must go to the Temporary Visitorwebpage.
Currently Living Out-of-State
Renewal from a state other than one’s own If you do not presently reside in Texas, but your actual, permanent residence (domicile) is in Texas, you should visit the out-of-state renewalweb page to complete your application. For additional information about applying for or renewing a driver’s license, identification card, or CDL, as well as reporting an error on a driver’s license or identification card, please see ourFrequently Asked Questions.
Renewing a Driver’s License, Learner’s Permit, or Identification Card
Most Hoosiers can renew their driver’s license or identity card up to two years before it expires, if they do so before the expiration date. Individuals with temporary legal status are only permitted to renew their license or identity card up to 30 days before the expiration of their present license or identification card.
Renewing a Real ID?
If a driver’s license or state identification card is renewed in accordance with Real ID standards, U.S. residents are not needed to submit the documentation required to receive a Real ID during each renewal year. Non-citizens of the United States, on the other hand, are needed to provide supplementary documentation. In order to obtain further information, please refer to the section below labeled “When You Must Visit a BMV Branch to Renew.”
How Long is My Driver’s License or Identification Card Valid?
- Identification Cards, Driver’s Licenses, and Passports At midnight on your birthday, your driver’s license or identity card will be automatically renewed. If your birthday comes on a day on which all BMV branches in your county are closed, your driver’s license or identity card will expire at midnight on the next business day, unless you renew it before then. An administrative penalty of $6.00 will be assessed if your driver’s license is renewed after the expiration date on the document has passed. Renewal of an expired identity card is not subject to any administrative penalties. There are several other license validity periods available, including:
- If you are under the age of 74, you will be sentenced to six years. If you are between the ages of 75 and 84, you have three years to serve. If you are 85 years or older, you will be required to serve two years.
- Licenses with a Motorcycle Endorsement are also available. Your Indiana motorcycle endorsement is valid for the same amount of time as your driver’s license in the state. Renewal of your driver’s license with your endorsement is possible at any Indiana BMV location or online up to two years before the expiration of your driver’s license. Driver’s Licenses with a 30-day probationary period Upon reaching the age of 21, your probationary driver’s license expires at midnight on the 30th day after your 21st birthday. Nationals of other countries It is the end date of their authorized stay in the United States that determines when the driver’s license or identity card granted to foreign nationals with temporary status expires. Commercial Driver’s Licenses are required for some jobs. Visit the Commercial Driver’s License site for information on renewing or replacing a commercial driver’s license.
Easily Renew Online or at a Kiosk
If you want to renew your driver’s license or identity card online or at a BMV Connect kiosk, be sure to check the eligibility requirements listed below to ensure you qualify. Regardless of whether you are renewing or replacing your license, you will be required to submit your full name, date of birth, residence address, and Social Security number when you log onto myBMV to complete the process. The following information must be provided at a BMV Connect kiosk: driver’s license or identification number, lawful zip code, and the last four digits of your Social Security number.
You can renew the following credentials online ONLY if you fulfill the requirements specified below each of the credentials you wish to renew:
- You are a citizen of the United States of America and a resident of the state of Indiana
- The only thing that has changed is your last name, residence address, and other personal information. Your identity card has not been expired for more than 180 days at this time. You are less than 24 months away from your expiration date
- Your previous photograph has been saved
- Restriction numbers 3, 7, and 9 do not apply to your record.
- You may renew your driver’s license online. See Driver’s License for details.
- Your driver’s license, with or without a motorbike or for-hire endorsement, is valid. You are a citizen of the United States of America and a resident of the state of Indiana
- You have not had your name, residence address, or any other personal information altered in any way. It was in a BMV branch that you performed your prior renewal transaction. No more than 180 days have elapsed since your driver’s license was issued. There is no requirement for you to take an exam. You are less than 24 months away from your expiration date
- You are under the age of 75
- You are single.
- Those who are 75 years of age or older, who have submitted a vision screening from a licensed ophthalmologist or certified optometrist, and who want to renew their license within 30 days after the screening, may also renew their license online or at a BMV Connect kiosk. It is necessary for you to have your licensed ophthalmologist or licensed optometrist complete a Vision Screening Documentation – State Form 56520 and send it to the BMV at [email protected]
- Your driver’s license does not contain any limitations pertaining to the letters J or 2 – 9
- J stands for “other,” and the following categories are available: 2 for habitual traffic violator conditional license, 3 for photo exemption, 5 for conditional license, 6 for interlock ignition device, 7 for seat belt exemption, 8 for medical condition, and 9 for temporary license.
- Your previous photograph has been saved
- You have not been suspended, revoked, or otherwise invalidated. Your driving record does not show that you have six or more current points on it. You are not under the age of twenty-one
- Applicants who are performing an online replacement or renewal credential transaction can also apply to get registered to vote at the same time. Driver’s license renewal may be done on the internet.
When You Must Visit a BMV Branch to Renew
Many Hoosiers are qualified to renew their licenses and identity cards online every other renewal, which means they only need to visit a BMV location once every 10-12 years to renew their license or identification card. However, under the following instances, you will be required to visit a branch location in order to renew a credential:
- For customers who have a Commercial Driver’s License or a For-Hire endorsement, it is necessary to visit a BMV location in order to renew their driver’s license. Changing your name or residence address will require you to visit a branch and produce proof of the change in order to have your license amended. When applying for a new driver’s license, permit, or identity card, you will be asked to present a valid photo identification card. You’ll need the following papers to get started:
- The following documents are required: One document showing your identification
- One document proving your legal status in the United States
- One document proving your Social Security number
- And two documents proving your Indiana residency.
- If you have ever had your last name altered, you will also need to provide evidence of that change. You may find out more by reading about the standards for valid identification and the papers that are approved. Licensed drivers who are 75 years old or older must visit a BMV branch to renew their licenses
- Every renewal transaction requires foreign nationals with permanent or temporary lawful status to visit a branch and produce verification of identification, lawful status, proof of Social Security Number (or proof of ineligibility), and Indiana residence. To renew your driver’s license if you have six or more points on your driving record, you must take a written exam to prove your eligibility. It is required that you either pass a normal vision exam or provide Vision Screening Documentation – State Form 56520 if you are renewing a driver’s license that has not expired because your last renewal was completed online. Done by an ophthalmologist or an optometrist who is licensed to practice
- You must pay a $6.00 administrative penalty fee and pass a standard vision screening or submitVision Screening Documentation– State Form 56520 if your driver’s license has been expired for less than 180 days. If your driver’s license has been expired for more than three years, you must pay a $6.00 administrative penalty fee, pass a written test, and undergo a standard vision screening or submitVision Screening Documentation– State Form 56520 if your driver’s license has been expired for more than three years. A $6.00 administrative penalty is assessed if you renew a driver’s license that has been expired for more than three years. You must also pass a written exam, a driving test, and a standard vision screening (or provide Vision Screening Documentation – State Form 56520).
Alternatively, you can visit one of the branches listed on this page if that is what you prefer.
Renewing a License If You Are Away From Indiana
Your Indiana driver’s license may be renewed or replaced online if you meet the requirements listed above. If your driver’s license has expired, has been lost, or has been stolen while you are traveling outside of the state, you may request a 30-dayinterim period from the date your driver’s license is due to expire. To get a 30-day interim of your driver’s license or a 30-day interim credential, you must first download and submit aRequest for Interim License, State Form 54580, which is available online.
If you recently renewed or updated your driver’s license in a BMV branch or online at myBMV.com, you may be able to print a paper interim license from your myBMV account.
If your license expires while you are traveling outside of Indiana and you are not eligible for online renewal, you may print a Military Interim Letter from the Indiana Department of Transportation.
After being discharged, you must go to a branch and present proof of your discharge in order to acquire a renewal license.
Still Have Questions?
You can send us an email if you need to renew a credential. Email Us
Renew your driver’s license
As a result, if you already have your REAL ID and your license or ID is up for renewal (look for a yellow star in the upper right-hand corner of your license or ID), you are already qualified to renew your license or ID online at Mass.Gov/RMV. If you have not yet decided whether you want a REAL ID driver’s license/ID or a normal driver’s license/ID, complete the procedures outlined below:
- Then, go to Mass.Gov/RMV and click on “Online Service Center,” choose your renewal transaction (Driver’s License or ID), and follow the steps to authenticate your identification and begin your transaction. Choose the sort of card you want from the options below:
- Massachusetts driver’s license or identification card with REAL ID. A REAL ID is recognized as a legitimate form of federal identification in the United States. The RMV advises everyone who plans to travel inside the United States to get a REAL ID card.
- It is necessary to print your application summary sheet. Make an appointment to visit an RMV Service Center or a AAA branch (if you are a member of the AAA) with your application summary document, needed paperwork, and appropriate price to complete your renewal process.
- A standard Massachusetts driver’s license/identification card is required. After May 3, 2023, a Standard ID will no longer be acceptable as a form of federal identification and will no longer be accepted as a form of identification if you fly domestically within the United States or visit certain government facilities. It is possible that you will be able to submit all of the needed papers and complete your renewal online if you pick a Standard Massachusetts driver’s license or ID card.
You will not be able to renew your driver’s license if you do any of the following:
- Your driving privileges have been suspended or revoked
- It is possible that you have outstanding parking tickets, excise tax, or EZ-Pass infractions.
If one of these situations applies to you, make sure to check the status of your license before renewing it. Are you turning 21 in the near future? It is possible that you will wish to wait until your birthday to renew. See the section below under “Turning 21?” for further information.
Fees for Renew your driver’s license
*Class D and M licenses and permits, as well as Mass IDs, can be issued for periods of less than 5 years, depending on the length of the applicant’s lawful residency in the United States at the time of application.
This will result in a prorated price that will be calculated depending on the length of time that the license, permit, or Mass ID is valid. It will cost $10.00 per year to obtain a license. It will cost $5.00 each year to obtain a Mass ID.
|Passenger Driver’s License Renewal Fee||$50||each|
|Motorcycle Driver’s License (Class M)||$50||–|
|Passenger/Motorcycle Driver’s License (Class DM)||$65||each|
How to renew Renew your driver’s license
- The details from your citizenship/lawful presence documentation will be required. Review the checklist supplied and make sure your paper is ready to go. When you visit the RMV’s Online Service Center, choose your renewal transaction and then follow the steps to authenticate your identity and begin your transaction, you will be successful. To finish your purchase online, select Standard Massachusetts driver’s license and follow the on-screen instructions.
During the application process, you will have the opportunity to check and, if required, alter your mailing address. If you are a member of AAA, you may make a reservation to renew your driver’s license or identification card at one of their locations. To arrange an appointment, go to www.aaa.com/appointments.
More info for Renew your driver’s license
You can renew your license for a period of up to two years after it has expired. If your driver’s license has been expired for more than two years, you will be needed to complete the learner’s permit exam as well as the driving test.
Unpaid fines or taxes
To find out if you owe any outstanding penalties or excise taxes, you may check the status of your driver’s license. Failure to do so will prohibit you from renewing your driver’s license. Prior to renewing your license, you will be required to settle any outstanding debts or responsibilities.
- Ticketed for parking or subject to excise taxes? Pay the fines or fees and obtain a confirmation from the city or municipality confirming that the goods have been paid
- EZ-Pass Massachusetts — To pay your fines, call customer service at (877) 627-7745.
In the event if you renew your driver’s license before reaching the age of 21, you will be issued a vertical license with the words “Under 21” printed on it. That license will be valid for a period of five years. For those who renew their license on or after their 21st birthday, a conventional horizontal license will be issued to them instead of one with the words “Under 21” printed on it.
Contact for Renew your driver’s license
It is possible to get a Pennsylvania driver’s license for four years, but it will expire on the day following the driver’s birthday. Each motorist receives an Invitation to Renew (DL60A/DL60R) from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation three months before their license expires. Senior citizens (those 65 and over) have the option of renewing their driver’s license every two years, rather of the customary four years. NOTE: Non-commercial drivers have the option to renew their licenses online if there are no corrections or changes other than a change of address.
You may also check out the National Driver Register Fact Sheet for additional details!
Step 1: Obtain an Invitation to Renew (DL60A/DL60R) or a copy of Form DL-143 (if applicable) (PDF). Return the completed application together with a check or money order made payable to PennDOT in the amount listed on the form to the address on the form. It is not possible to pay with cash or credit/debit cards. If you fill out the form and submit it by mail, you should receive your camera card within seven to ten working days of receiving it. The fourth step is to take your new digital driver’s license to any Photo Center as soon as you have your camera card and the proper identification.
When an individual’s photo is taken for the purpose of renewing their driver’s license or identity card, PennDOT employs cutting-edge facial recognition technology.
Each month, the first and last two days of each month see the highest volume of requests for picture services. Wait times for customers are shorter on the other days of the week. The following are examples of acceptable signature identification:
- Pennsylvania driver’s license or photo ID card
- Documents such as a passport, citizenship or naturalization certificate, or weapons permit
- Photographic identification such as a military ID, bank ID, employee ID, school ID, or out-of-state license
- In the absence of a photo, we may be able to assist you with obtaining a voter registration card, a Medicare card, a Pennsylvania Learner’s Permit, a temporary driver’s license, or vehicle registration.
SOS – Renewing
Renewing and obtaining a REAL IDRenewing onlineRenewing by mailRenewing at a Secretary of State branch officeRenewing at a Secretary of State branch office Making adjustments to your driver’s license when renewing Getting your license renewed early – In state Renewing early due to a change of residence out of state Licensing in another state or renewing an expired license Military personnel are being re-enlisted.
License that has expired – military Fees Documents that are related topics Renewing or changing the gender designation on a driver’s license, IDRenewing, or REAL ID When it comes time to renew your driver’s license, you may be faced with a difficult decision.
If you currently have an improved driver’s license, you already have a REAL ID-compliant identification card in your possession.
What factors should I consider when determining if I require a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license?
- Immediately after May 3, 2023, refrain from flying or planning to access certain federal sites, military bases, or nuclear power plants. Have a suitable alternative to a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, such as a valid United States passport or passport card, in case your driver’s license is not accepted. The Transportation Security Administration provides a comprehensive list of papers that are suitable for transportation security.
For those who prefer the ease of having a single driver’s license that fulfills all of the requirements for boarding a plane for domestic travel, obtaining a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license may be the best option for them. What is the process for obtaining a driver’s license that is REAL ID compliant? When renewing your license, you must complete the following steps to get a REAL ID-compliant license:
- Visit a branch office of the Department of State
- To establish your citizenship or legal presence in the United States, you must submit your certified United States birth certificate with a stamp or raised seal, an unexpired United States passport or passport card, or another acceptable citizenship or legal presence document. If your given name differs from the one shown on your birth certificate, you’ll need to bring in a verified name-change paperwork, such as your marriage license or a court order, to be processed. If your name has changed more than once, you may be required to submit multiple papers. It is necessary to provide both the new and prior names on name-change documentation. It is OK to utilize divorce decrees, as long as they are certified (copies will not be allowed) and if they indicate both the new name and the old name on them. Photocopies and faxes are not acceptable forms of submission
- Bring your prescription glasses or contacts if you wear them while driving. Pass the eyesight test with flying colors
- Pay the price for renewing your driver’s license. There are no fees associated with changing to REAL ID.
If you apply for a REAL ID license or ID card but do not intend to renew it, you will be required to pay a duplicate card cost. Please make certain that you have all of the necessary papers before visiting a branch location. More information about REAL IDR may be found here. enewing on the internet In the event that you have previously renewed your driver’s license or enhanced driver’s license by online services or a self-service station within the last eight years, you may do so through online services or a self-service station.
When renewing a driver’s license online, it is not possible to upgrade from a normal driver’s license to an enhanced driver’s license.
Find out more about the updated driver’s license requirements and schedule an appointment now.
- Fill complete and sign the notification of renewal of membership
- Fill in the blanks with your current mailing address
- Check or money order are acceptable forms of payment. Send your renewal notice at least three weeks before your driver’s license expires.
More information about renewing by mail may be found here. Visiting a Secretary of State branch office to renew your license Drivers in Michigan are required to renew their driver’s license in person at a Secretary of State branch office once every twelve years, according to state law.
If any of the following apply, you must renew in a Secretary of State branch office:
- If you have any health changes that might impair your ability to drive safely, let us know. The last time you renewed your license in person at a Secretary of State branch office was more than eight years ago, and we were unable to confirm your Social Security number. The renewal process requires you to provide documentation of a valid Social Security number. When renewing a license, a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration, as well as proof of lawful presence in the United States, will be accepted in lieu of a Social Security number.
When renewing at a Secretary of State branch office, remember to bring the following documents:
- Bring your driver’s license or another kind of identification that is appropriate. Bring any prescription glasses or contact lenses you might need for driving. You will be required to take a vision examination. Pay with cash, check, money order, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa debit or credit card
- Or pay with a debit or credit card.
More information about renewing at a local office may be found here. Making adjustments to your driver’s license when renewing When renewing your license or upgraded license, you have the option of making adjustments. Change of addressYou can file a change of address online using online services, by mail, or in person at a branch office when renewing your license at the time of renewal. Changes in the given name and date of birth Any branch office will do. Changes in the spelling of names If you need to alter your name on your valid driver’s license, you must provide your driver’s license together with documentation proving the change.
- If your name has changed more than once, you may be required to submit multiple papers.
- When applying for a divorce decree, it is necessary to ensure that it is certified (copies will not be recognized) and that it clearly identifies both the new and former names.
- More information about name changes may be found here.
- Renewing early – in the state of Washington If you anticipate that you will be unable to renew your driver’s license or enhanced driver’s license on time for whatever reason, you may be able to renew it up to 12 months early at a Secretary of State branch office.
- Alternatively, a self-service station If you are a citizen of the United States and have a valid Social Security number, you may be able to retire up to 12 months earlier.
- If you will be unable to renew your driver’s license on time for whatever reason, you may be entitled to get it renewed up to 12 months early.
- More information about renewing your license early when traveling out of state.
- Obtain a special extension permit that will allow you to continue driving for up to 180 days after your license expiration date, or
- Apply to renew your license by mail or online if you are qualified for a renewal.
It will depend on your specific circumstances, such as how long you will be out of state and if you are eligible to renew by mail or online, to determine which option is best for you. More information about renewing a license that has expired outside of the state Military personnel are being re-enlisted. Branches of the Department of Motor Vehicles can renew your driver’s license or enhanced driver’s license up to 12 months early if you are unable to renew it on time due to a variety of circumstances.
If your Social Security number has not been validated by the Department of State, you will be required to provide proof of your identity.
They should renew their licenses no later than the date of their birthday in the year specified on their license, whichever is later.
Through the use of online services, you may renew your membership.
Licenses that have been expired for more than four years are unable to be renewed online.
License that has expired – military If your driver’s license or enhanced driver’s license has expired, you may continue to drive on it in conjunction with your military documents for the following term – whichever comes first – but only for the duration of the following time:
- If you take your first leave of absence following the expiry of your license (the leave does not have to be in Michigan
- This relates to any leave of absence), or if you are discharged after your license has expired, you must wait thirty days.
Although it is not required, it is suggested that you take your leave or discharge documents with you when driving with an expired license. Visit a Secretary of State branch office upon your return to Michigan to get your driver’s license or enhanced driver’s license renewed. It is also possible for qualified drivers to renew their licenses online if their license has been expired for up to four years. Refer to the Driver’s License Fee Chart for information on the fees associated with renewing a driver’s license, and the Enhanced Driver’s License Fee Chart for information on the fees associated with an enhanced driver’s license (if applicable).
- The following topics are covered in further detail: registering to vote, renewing a driver’s license, fees (including enhanced license fees), documents required for an enhanced license or ID (PDF), and more. Where to Submit an Application for an Enhanced License or Identification Card
- Driver’s License Application for the Special Services Branch