You will need all the documents required for proof of citizenship, identity, SSN, and residence. You may bring residency documents in your parent or guardian’s name.
How much does a Washington state enhanced driver’s license cost?
How much does it cost to get an EDL or EID in Washington? If you’re getting a new Enhanced Driver’s License or ID and you’ve never had one before, it will cost $78. Each standard driver’s license is valid for six years and costs $54 to renew.
What do I need for a Michigan enhanced license?
- A valid Social Security number (for example, a Social Security card)
- U.S. citizenship (for example, a certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised seal, must be issued by a governmental unit in the U.S. or U.S. territory)
- Identity (for example, a current Michigan photo license or ID card)
What documents do I need to renew my enhanced driver’s license in MN?
Identification Documentation for EDL/EID-Must provide proof of: Date of Birth, Full Legal Name, Social Security Number, Photographic Identity, United States Citizenship and Minnesota Residency.
How long does it take to get an enhanced driver’s license in Washington state?
When someone applies, they must be able to establish, or re-establish U.S. citizenship and Washington residence. Once approved, residents should allow two to three weeks to receive their card.
Do you need an enhanced license to fly in Washington state?
What Does This Mean For Me? In Washington state, it means you will need either an Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) or Enhanced Identification Card (EIC). There are other acceptable IDs like a Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), U.S. Military ID, U.S. Passport Book/Card, etc. For a full list, visit the TSA’s website.
What do I need to fly domestic 2021?
You must present an acceptable ID, such as a valid passport, state-issued enhanced driver’s license or U.S. military ID, to fly within the U.S. You will not be allowed to fly if your identity cannot be verified. Review the complete list of acceptable identification.
Do you need an enhanced license to fly in Michigan?
Under the federal REAL ID law, Michigan residents must show a REAL ID-compliant document when flying in the United States beginning May 3, 2023. Your enhanced driver’s license or ID card meets the federal REAL ID standards and may be used when flying domestically. For that, you’ll need an enhanced license or ID card.
How long does it take to get an enhanced license in Michigan?
Your license or state ID card should arrive two to three weeks after submitting your application, but allow up to 45 days. If you haven’t received it after 45 days, contact the Department of State Information Center at Michigan.gov/ContactSOS or 888-SOS-MICH (767-6424) or visit a Secretary of State branch office.
Do I need enhanced drivers license for mn?
Minnesotans may opt for, but are not required, to obtain an EDL/EID. An EDL/EID must be mailed to the Minnesota residential address that appears on the EDL/EID card.
How much does an enhanced ID cost in mn?
The fee for an EDL or EID is $15 in addition to the fee required for your driver’s license or non-driver photo ID card transaction.
Can Minnesotans fly with driver’s license?
Minnesotans will be able to use their standard driver’s license or identification cards for federal purposes until May 3, 2023. Beginning May 3, 2023, a REAL ID-compliant license or identification card or another acceptable form of identification will be required to board a domestic flight or enter a federal facility.
Which is better passport or enhanced license?
What are the advantages of having an EDL? First of all, an EDL is cheaper than a passport. Secondly, it fits more comfortably in your wallet than a passport book does, so it’s more convenient. And if you frequently drive across the border, it’s helpful to only need one form of ID for the entire trip.
What documents are needed for REAL ID in Washington state?
In Washington state, there are two types of REAL ID-compliant documents: enhanced driver licenses and enhanced ID cards. Both can be obtained by visiting a driver licensing office. To receive either, you’ll need to present proof of citizenship, identity, Social Security number, and residence.
Is enhanced ID worth it?
The enhanced driver’s license is a cost- effective and convenient document that meets driving, identification and border-crossing needs. While not required, the enhanced license is an excellent alternative to a standard license because it is especially handy for business travel, vacations or quick trips.
DVS Home –
Minnesota citizens may now apply for an improved version of their driver’s license or identity card, which will allow them to re-enter the United States through land and water from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean, among other countries. The enhanced driver’s license (EDL) and the enhanced identification card (EID), in addition to acting as a driver’s license or identity card, are two of the federally-approved border-crossing credentials necessary under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).
Applications for an Enhanced Driver’s License or an Enhanced Identification Card are only accepted from Minnesota residents who are also citizens of the United States and are at least 16 years old.
What is the difference between an EDL and an EID?
- From Canada, Mexico, and several Caribbean nations, an EDL/EID can be used as a cross-border travel document (in place of a passport) to re-enter the United States by land and water. According to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), an EDL/EID serves as a means of identifying both identification and citizenship. These cards may be used for domestic air travel as well as for access to government institutions. Please see the Transportation Security Administration for a list of valid IDs
- Using an EDL/EID for foreign aviation travel is not permitted. EDL/EID cards are equipped with a radio frequency identification (RFID) chip, which allows them to be read by a reader. Each EDL/EID card is allocated a unique number, which is stored on the RFID chip. It does not contain any biometric information (for example, fingerprints, face recognition, or other similar data)
- Several states currently provide EDL/EID services
- Minnesotans may choose to receive an EDL/EID, but they are not obligated to do so. An EDL/EID card must be addressed to the Minnesota residence address that appears on the card
- Otherwise, the card will be returned to the sender.
You can apply for an EDL or an EID at any time, for any reason:
- When your existing driver’s license or identification card is due for renewal
- Application for your first driver’s license (and learner’s permit) or non-driver picture ID card
- Application for your first driver’s license (and learner’s permit)
- It is necessary to replace your existing driver’s license prior to the day on which it is due for renewal, so that the expiration date of your license does not alter. When you submit your application, you will be requested to complete an Interview Questionnaire
- Please allow additional time for this when submitting your application. In the case that processing timeframes exceed 3-4 weeks, you will be issued a temporary receipt that will expire 120 days after the date of your application. EDL/EID identification documentation must include verification of: date of birth, full legal name, social security number, photographic identification, United States citizenship, and Minnesota residence. View the Identification Requirements for EDL/EID (PDF)
Obtaining a new EDL or EID:
- You will only need additional proof if you are changing your name or your primary home in the state of Minnesota. If you have recently changed your name, you must notify the Social Security Administration so that they can update their records before applying. The following documentation will be required: Proof of Full Legal Name
- Proof of Minnesota Residency. View the Identification Requirements for EDL/EID (PDF)
Where to apply for or renew an EDL or EID is as follows:
- Contact information for the office may be obtained by calling (651) 297-2005 or by visiting the website.
Get an enhanced driver license (EDL) or REAL ID
A REAL ID is a federally compliant driver license, learner permit, or non-driver ID issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), which you will be required to have in order to board a domestic flight (within the United States) or enter certain federal buildings starting in May 2023, unless you have a valid passport at the time of travel.
Obtaining a REAL ID does not incur any additional costs. All standard transaction costs continue to apply.
Enhanced Driver License (EDL)
An enhanced license (permit, or non-driver ID) issued by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can be used to return to the United States by land or water from Canada, Mexico, and other countries in the Caribbean in lieu of a valid passport. The Eastern District of New York’s EDL complies with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). 1 It is not acceptable when it comes to air travel between these two nations. If you have any questions about the requirements for travel documents, we recommend that you contact your travel agency, cruise company, or the specific countries of destination.
Only inhabitants of New York State who are citizens of the United States are eligible to apply for an EDL in the state of New York.
For an enhanced driver license (EDL) or an enhanced non-driver ID card (ENDID), there is an extra price of $30.00 to pay. The cost is applied to the additional fees associated with the driver license or non-driver ID transaction, if any are applicable.
To find out how much it will cost to convert from a conventional driver’s license or ID card to an enhanced document, read Early renewal with conversion to an enhanced document (see Resources).
Apply at a DMV office
You will not be able to submit an application online, via phone, or by mail. To obtain an enhanced learner permit if you have never held a driver’s license before, you must first apply for one. The DMV is where you may finish your eye examination. See the DMV’s location, procedures, and reservation information by clicking on the link below.
What documents do I need to bring to the DMV?
Complete this checklist to ensure that you have all of the documentation and identity evidence that you will need. Discover the papers you’ll need to obtain a REAL ID or an Enhanced driver’s license.
You will get your EDL in 2 weeks
It takes around 2 weeks for your new EDL paperwork to be sent by postal service.
In order to renew your REAL ID or Enhanced license, use the same procedures as described in How to Renew Driver License. There will be an extra charge of $30.00 for an Enhanced license on top of the usual renewal price for the license.
Find out more about enhanced, REAL ID, and standard identification documents. IMPORTANT: Making a false statement or providing fraudulent identification or evidence of date of birth while applying for any DMV document is a criminal offense in most jurisdictions. You may be sentenced to prison and/or fined heavily, and your permit or driver license may be suspended or revoked.
- 1.The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is a federal guideline that governs which papers citizens of the United States can use while traveling in the Western Hemisphere. More information on this project may be found on the website of the United States Customs and Border Control.
Applying for an Enhanced Driver’s License (Over 18, Already Licensed)
In the process of applying for an Enhanced Driver’s License (Over 18, Already Licensed) It is a cost-effective and convenient document that fits driving, identity, and border-crossing criteria while also being cost-effective and easy. If you are going by land or water from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean, you will need to have a federally authorized document to re-enter the United States of America. However, even though it is not necessary, the enhanced license is a good alternative to a basic license since it is particularly useful for business travel, vacations, and brief getaways.
In the process of applying for an Enhanced Driver’s License Follow these procedures to convert your legal Michigan or out-of-state driver’s license into an improved Michigan driver’s license.
- You must be a citizen of the United States and a resident of Michigan. On your driving record, you must not have any traffic offenses, license suspensions, revocations, or rejections that would prevent you from operating a motor vehicle legally.
Keep in mind that while applying for an upgraded driver’s license, your first and last name, as well as your date of birth, must be the same on all of your papers. It is necessary to provide authorized documentation of your current legal name if it differs from the name that appears on your birth certificate, passport, or other citizenship documents. This may include an original marriage license, divorce decision, or court order. To submit an application, please follow these steps:
- Visit any of the Secretaries of State’s offices nationwide. Make sure you have documentation for the following:
- In order to be eligible for asylum, you must have a valid Social Security number (for example, a Social Security card)
- United States citizenship (for example, a certified copy of your birth certificate with raised seal, which must have been issued by a government unit in the United States or a US territory)
- And legal immigration status. Identification (for example, a valid Michigan driver’s license or identification card)
- The term “residency” refers to the state of being a resident of a country (for example, a current Michigan photo license or ID card) If you want a comprehensive list of acceptable papers, please see theDocuments Required for an Enhanced License or ID form.
- Take a fresh snapshot of yourself
- Pay $45 for the regular upgraded license, which includes additional features. For an upgraded chauffeur license as well as commercial driver’s license designations and endorsements, there are additional payments to be paid.
The approval of all papers is subject to the approval of the Department of State. Sometimes, document approval will not take place on the same day as the request and may require a second visit. In order to drive, you will be awarded a Temporary Operator’s Permit once you have successfully completed the upgraded license application procedure. The permit issued to the operator does not qualify as a secure document for the purpose of border crossing. Your improved license, which is valid for up to four years, should come in the mail within two to three weeks after placing your application.
In order to be given a driver’s license if you are over the age of 18 and have never held one before, you must pass the written knowledge, vision, road signs, and driving skills exams in addition to passing the driving skills test. Documents that are related Topics
- Fees for an enhanced license or identification card
- Documents required for an enhanced license or identification card (PDF)
- Where to Submit an Application for an Enhanced License or Identification Card
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection – Requirements for Residents Going on Vacation in the United States
Enhanced Drivers Licenses: What Are They?
State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) serve as identification and evidence of citizenship in the United States. They are issued through a secure procedure and feature technology that makes travel more convenient. The documents serve as an inexpensive and simple option for tourists who wish to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry. They may also be used to obtain a permit to drive in the United States. In order to comply with travel regulations under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), which became effective on June 1, 2009, the Department has been working with states to improve their drivers licenses and identity papers.
- While approaching the border inspection booth, you should have a proximityRadio Frequency Identification (RFID)chip that will signal a secure system to pull up your biographic and biometric data for the CBP officer, as well as a Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) or barcode that the CBP officer can read electronically if RFID is not available.
The top 39 land ports of entry, which handle more than 95 percent of all land border crossings, are equipped with RFID technology, which helps to expedite travel for those who exhibit EDLs or one of the other RFID-enabled identification papers.
» Enhanced Driver’s Licenses – What They Are and Where to Get Them
A total of four states have already begun to issue what are known as Enhanced Driver’s Licenses (EDLs). These licenses are equipped with radio frequency identification (RFID) chips, and persons who possess these special licenses are put into a database maintained by the Department of Homeland Security to track their movements. The program is now only available in four states along the Canadian border: Michigan; New York; Vermont; and Washington. It is designed to make it easier for people to cross the border from the United States to Canada.
This reduces the amount of time people must wait at the border for everyone.
To submit an application, you must visit a Secretary of State office and complete the necessary forms:
- Demonstrate a valid Social Security Number, US Citizenship, identification, and Michigan residency to be eligible. a new photograph should be taken
- Pay a $45 processing charge
New York, NY: New York drivers who wish to upgrade their existing driver’s license to an EDL can do so by contacting their local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You will need the following items in order to apply:
- Documentation of Social Security Number, identification of name, and documentation of New York residency are required. A $30 enhanced document charge and a $12.50 document processing fee must be paid.
Vermont residents who are also citizens of the United States are eligible to apply for an EDL. Due to the fact that not all Vermont DMVs are now issuing EDLs, it is important to look for a list of offices that do offer them. To be considered, you must bring the following items with you:
- An ELD Application that has been fully completed
- A valid operator’s license is required. Proof of Social Security Number, identity, United States Citizenship, and Vermont Residency are all required. In addition to the usual driver’s license price (which varies depending on whether you are renewing, changing, or receiving your first license), you must pay a $25 EDL charge.
Residents of the state of Washington can receive an EDL if they complete the qualifications for a Washington intermediate driver license, which is the license that most new drivers obtain when they first start driving.
In Washington, you will require the following items:
- Proof of citizenship, identity, and residency in the state of Washington
- Your social security number (you do not need to bring your card)
- To pay a fee, you can use cash, cheque, or an acceptable credit card
- The charge is $15 for upgrading to an EDL and $35 for getting an EDL for the first time.
California, Arizona, and Texas driver’s licenses may also be upgraded in the near future, making crossing the US-Mexico border easier for citizens of the United States of America. These states are presently evaluating the best alternatives for supplying the cards, as well as the implications for border security. California was on the verge of allowing EDLs; the law had passed the state senate; but, privacy concerns have caused the plan to be shelved. There was nothing in the legislation to prevent California law enforcement from accessing the RFID chips, which has raised concerns among privacy advocates that the chip may be used to track and retain more information than the average person realizes.
- According to the Department of Homeland Security’s website, the RFID chip on the card contains no information that may be used to identify the cardholder.
- The EDL is also equipped with a protected sleeve, which prohibits anybody from viewing your license without your knowledge or permission.
- Almost all of these ports are already equipped with RFID readers that can read both passports and electronic driving licenses.
- So far, EDLs have been issued to citizens of the provinces of British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec, among other places.
- EDLs will also allow those whose primary travel destination is Canada or Mexico to save money and time on the process of acquiring a passport, because the EDL will act as both their driver’s license and an identification card that will allow them to cross the border.
- Tags:drivers licenses, upgraded drivers licenses, international borders, radio frequency identification, RFID, technology, drivers licenses Driving, Laws, New York, Technology are some of the categories in which this article is classified.
In Arkansas, getting an enhanced ID driver’s license requires legwork; you’ll need it by October 2020
An old television advertising for a now-defunct petroleum firm that used a star as its emblem stated that you could “leave your automobile to the man who wears the star,” referring to the days when oil companies had service stations rather than merely self-service fuel pumps. An additional star, this time on your driver’s license, signals to government personnel that you are dependable. By Oct. 1, 2020, the federal government will require that you have a “Real ID” in order to enter any federal facility or board a commercial flight, according to the Washington Post.
In order to obtain one, Arkansas residents must provide documentary proof of legal presence and identities (via one primary document – a passport or birth certificate); proof of residency (via one secondary document, such as an out-of-state driver’s license or a photo work ID, utility bill, or phone bill); and proof of Social Security number (via one secondary document) (two documents, such as a paycheck stub or a W-2 form).
- As long as you can put together the necessary papers, and if you don’t mind driving up to an hour or more to one of the 25 Arkansas revenue offices that provides them, and if you don’t mind standing in line for the required period of time, it should be a piece of cake.
- Although there has been some uncertainty around the papers necessary, even if you know what you’re expected to bring, it doesn’t guarantee you really have it with you.
- A further need is that your name appears exactly the same on all of the official documents required by the state.
- Alternatively, you may have been divorced and/or remarried, in which case your name has changed.
- STAR BILLING is a billing company that specializes in billing for stars.
- There is, however, one little exception: You’ll see a white star with five points in the top right corner, which will be encompassed in a yellow circle.
- Following the terrorist events of September 11, 2001, Congress approved the Real ID Act of 2005, which was combined with the USA PATRIOT Act.
Arkansas has been in compliance with the CFPB since October 2016, according to Scott Hardin, the communications director for the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration.
He also adds that by 2020, “you’ll be required to have it in order to board an airline or attend a federal institution.” It is worth noting that post offices are exempt from the rule: “If you didn’t need an ID to enter before, you won’t need one now,” says the author of the article.
“You can still get a regular driver’s license, but if you want to travel or visit a federal courthouse, you’ll have to start supplementing it with something else,” says the author, referring to a passport.
Any state-issued identification card would be acceptable.
In the case of a simple renewal of an existing license, the fee is intended to be $10.
“If they are interested, and if they have a requirement, we encourage that they go ahead and purchase one now, since we anticipate a rush as we near October 2020.
“We urge everyone to go to the website” – dfa.arkansas.gov – “and look at that list to ensure they have the proper papers,” Hardin adds (see accompanying story).
A list of the 25 state revenue-cum-motor vehicle department offices where you may obtain your new license is also available on the internet.
“Covered personnel,” who have completed state and federal background checks and have received training in fraudulent document identification, are responsible for keeping all personally identifiable information safe and secure.
It was late in the morning on a weekday, and the wait for driver’s licenses was just a few people long, which was a blessing in disguise.
His passport had expired a year ago, and he couldn’t remember where the dickens he’d buried his Social Security card, which had been issued in the late Bronze Age and signed in a juvenile scribble, to say nothing of his Social Security card.
(That is possible online, but depending on the state in issue, it can take a significant amount of time – as much as three months to process and ship – as well as a few dollars to complete.
The birth certificate, the insurance card, the W-2 form, and the property tax bill were all approved, collated, and scanned by the agent, and the remainder was forwarded to the client.
There’s nothing special about that.
A birth certificate, a passport, and a driver’s license are the first three pieces of documentation you’ll need to confirm your legal presence in the country.
Likewise, the demand for evidence of Social Security number is still in effect.
Bringing their bills, power bill, or whatever bill you want to bring – as long as it’s in their spouse’s name – is out of the question.” He claims that there is a workaround: Make the individual whose name appears on the utility bill sign an affidavit of ownership and identification.
As for those who are married but whose names do not match on their license and passport – “in general, names on everything need to match, and if they do not match, whether it’s due to a divorce or marriage, the supporting paperwork, such as a divorce decree or a marriage license would need to be presented along with it,” says the official.
- “That’s actually a terrific strategy,” Hardin adds.
- In order to receive the enhanced ID, the agent will ask if you want to obtain the standard ID or the enhanced ID when you renew your license, according to Hardin.
- We are more than happy to collaborate with others.
- “We well appreciate that going to the DMV is not at the top of anyone’s list of things to do.
For further information, call (501) 682-7059 or contact [email protected] The “Voluntary Enhanced Security Driver’s License” is distinguished by a small white star surrounded by a yellow border.”>Photo courtesy of Nikki Dawes The “Voluntary Enhanced Security Driver’s License” is distinguished by a small white star that is surrounded by a yellow border.
On April 10, 2018, a regular driver’s license was issued. Print Headline: Aim toward the moon and the stars: Obtaining an enhanced identity driver’s license will take some effort, but you’ll need it by October 2020 if you want to drive legally.
Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)
US residents returning from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda must show a valid U.S. Passport, U.S. Passport Card, or an Enhanced Driver’s License, whether they are traveling by land or water to their home country (EDL). An EDL cannot be used for foreign flights because of the restrictions. For the most up-to-date information on travel document requirements, visit the United States Customs and Border Protection website. It is important to note that a temporary EDL will NOT be accepted for border crossing; thus, plan appropriately.
Additional information on identification requirements can be found on form VL-018 (see below).
Fees for licenses » An in-person visit is required for the first issuing of an EDL.
How to Obtain an EDL
Fill out the proper form (found at the bottom of the page) for your circumstance:
- I have a valid driver’s license that is up to date. Use formVL-040 if you need a new Vermont driver’s license or if you want to renew your Vermont driver’s license. Fill out formVL-021 if you require a new Vermont Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or if you want to renew your Vermont CDL. I require a Vermont Enhanced Non-Driver Identification Card (form VL-031)
- Please use this form (new or renewal). Form VL-017 should be used.
Proof of US Citizenship
In addition to the papers necessary for a Real ID license, an EDL needs proof of United States citizenship in addition to the other documentation. More information is available at »
Children under the age of 18 must submit an application in person with their parent(s) or guardian(s), who must provide proof of their relationship to the minor applicant. The minor kid must produce documentation of his or her Social Security number as well as proof of citizenship in the United States. If the name of a parent or guardian has changed since the original documents were issued, proof of the legal name change must be given (e.g. photocopy of a marriage certificate, etc.). Children under the age of 15 are not need to present a picture identification.
Locations issuing Enhanced Driver License/Non-Driver ID
- Montpelier, Bennington, Newport, Rutland, South Burlington, and Springfield are all located in Vermont.
Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader
What is the purpose of having an Arkansas REAL ID DL or ID card? As part of the Federal “REAL ID Act of 2005,” anyone entering a federal facility or boarding an interstate flight after October 1, 2020 will need to present either the Arkansas REAL ID DL or ID, or the regular card along with other acceptable forms of identification in order to be considered compliant. The Arkansas REAL ID driver’s license or identity card will be accepted in lieu of other forms of identification. The use of a regular ID card after October 1, 2020, will be permitted if you do not have an Arkansas REAL ID driver’s license or ID card, but you will be required to show additional forms of identification to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) in order to board an airplane or enter a federal facility.
- Arkansans are welcome to come.
- No, state and federal law will only allow either an Arkansas REAL ID driver’s license or identification card or a normal driver’s license or identification card.
- Where can I obtain an Arkansas REAL ID driver’s license or identification card?
- In order to establish ALL of the above, you must offer source documents: Documents Required for the Issuance of a License or an IDP Rueda de Presencia Legal y Identificación (Legal Presence and Identification) I recently renewed my driver’s license.
- If you have a current, valid driver’s license, you can convert it to an Arkansas REAL ID driver’s license for a $10 duplicate card fee.
- If you have less than one year left until your current license expires, you may renew and convert to the Arkansas REAL ID 8-year DL for a fee.
- When applying for the Arkansas REAL ID Driver’s License, you must bring the supporting documentation specified above with you.
New and first-time applicants will be required to pay $40.
Is it necessary for me to bring all of these documents with me every time I renew my enhanced security credential?
If you’ve just moved your address, you won’t need to carry any of these paperwork with you.
An Arkansas REAL ID ID card may be obtained for $5 by converting a conventional ID card to a REAL ID ID card from another state.
If you decide to convert to the Arkansas Real ID, you must bring the original documents stated above with you to the appointment.
In addition to giving the information about the source document, how much would it cost me to obtain an Arkansas REAL ID DL?
It is possible that additional testing fees and transfer fees will be charged.
In addition to giving the information about the source document, how much will it cost me to obtain an Arkansas REAL ID ID card?
The Arkansas REAL ID ID Card is valid for a period of five years.
Those over the age of 60 can choose between a lifetime regular ID card and an Arkansas REAL ID card, which is valid for four years.
Children between the ages of 5 and 13 are only eligible to get an ID card with a two-year expiration date.
Arkansas Real ID does not operate outside of the United States, save for domestic flights and federal buildings, which are all within the country’s boundaries.
Will my Arkansas Real ID Driver’s License or ID card serve as a substitute for my United States passport?
If you are traveling internationally, taking a cruise, or otherwise leaving the United States, you will still require a valid United States passport and birth certificate.
If you have any more questions, please contact our office at (501) 682-7059. Thank you. You can also send an email to [email protected] with your inquiries.
Arkansas REAL ID
- The recommendations of the 911 Commission were included into the federal REAL ID Act of 2005. The REAL ID Act forbids the federal government from accepting driver’s licenses or identity cards issued by states that do not comply with the provisions of the REAL ID Act for identifying purposes. There are many examples of this, including but not limited to commercial airplanes and federal structures. If you want to be in compliance with the Federal “REAL ID Act of 2005,” everyone who enters a federal institution, military installation, or boards a domestic aircraft after May 3, 2023 will be required to show you have the Arkansas REAL ID card. Individuals who do not have an improved license will be required to provide additional forms of identification. Additional approved document formats may be found on the websites of either the United States Department of Homeland Security or the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). You can upgrade to REAL ID at any time by visiting a REAL ID office and having a duplicate license issued to you. The cost of duplication is $10.00 for a driver’s license and $5.00 for a state identification card (State ID). The first time a Real ID is issued, the applicant must come in person to get it. You will not be able to upgrade by acquiring a duplicate license online. There is no difference in pricing between a Real ID and a normal license: $40.00 for the first time issuance or renewal and $40.00 for renewal. Depending on your situation, additional tests and transfer fees may be required. A duplicate license costs $10.00 and a state identity card costs $5.00. You will only be required to produce original papers if your name, social security number, or birth date has changed. No, according to state law, an Arkansas credential can only be held by one person at a time. A person asking for a Real ID must provide more documents than a person applying for a conventional driver’s license or state identification card, for example. In order to provide an increased level of protection against identity theft and international terrorism, the additional requirements have been implemented. Dependents may use residency documents from their parents, which must be accompanied by their birth certificate
- Spouses may use residency documents from their spouse, which must be accompanied by their marriage certificate
- In order to recover any missing papers, you will need to contact the proper authorities. You will need to contact the Arkansas Department of Health if you have misplaced your birth certificate or want a certified copy of your birth certificate in Arkansas. The Social Security Administration will need to be contacted if you have misplaced your Social Security Card. Arkansas Real ID does not operate outside of the United States, save for domestic flights and federal buildings, which are all within the country’s boundaries. Additional information on obtaining a Federal enhanced driver’s license to traverse borders may be found at the URL provided below. No, an Arkansas Real ID will not serve as a substitute for a United States passport. If you are traveling internationally, taking a cruise, or otherwise leaving the United States, you will still require a valid United States passport and birth certificate.
Enhanced Driver’s License or Identification Card
Alternative places are also available (PDF).
What do I need to apply?
A new pre-application tool will allow Minnesotans to complete a large portion of their driver’s license or identification card application online, including REAL ID and Enhanced applications, therefore lowering the amount of time they spend in driver’s license offices, according to the state. View the New Online Services Available.
Individuals from Minnesota who wish to re-enter the United States through land or water can apply for an improved version of their driver’s license or identity card, which will allow them to enter the country via Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean. The enhanced driver’s license (EDL) and the enhanced identification card (EID), in addition to acting as a driver’s license or identity card, are two of the federally-approved border-crossing credentials necessary under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.
Cardholders must be able to demonstrate citizenship and identification, as well as possess technology and security features that have been authorized by the Secretary of the United States Department of Homeland Security. Only Minnesota residents who are also citizens of the United States and are at least 16 years old are eligible to apply for an EDL or EID card. An EDL / EID card must be addressed to the Minnesota residence address that is shown on the EDL / EID card in order to be valid. The price for an EDL or EID is $15, which is in addition to the amount for a driver’s license or non-driver picture identification card transaction that you will be charged.
Visit the Minnesota Department of Public Safety for further information on the documents necessary, as well as a list of the 14 test stations where EDL / EIDs can be processed in person.
What exactly is REAL ID? Beginning on May 3, 2023, a REAL ID driver license, non-driver identification card, or passport will be needed to board an airplane for domestic flights or to visit a secure government facility in the United States. After then, until May 3, 2023, your current driver’s license or non-driver identification card will be acceptable. If you have a REAL ID Driver License or Non-Driver Identification Card, a star will appear in the upper right corner to signify that it may be used for federal identification purposes.
REAL ID is optional in New Hampshire, however it is recommended if you want to travel by air domestically or access a secure federal institution (such as a military installation or courtroom) and do not have a passport or other federal identification, or if you do not intend to use your passport for those reasons.
- To board a domestic aircraft or access a secure federal facility, you will be required to present another form of federally compatible identification, such as a passport, if your driver license or non-driver identity card has the phrase “NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION” on it.
- It is permissible to wait until your driver license or non-driver identification card expires before May 3, 2023 before switching from a regular license or non-driver identification card to REAL ID.
- What is the procedure for obtaining it?
- We are now providing appointments for REAL ID upgrades outside of the normal renewal period.
- The Online Document Checker is given below to assist you in determining which papers will be required at the time of your appointment.
- You will also be required to bring the relevant application for the sort of license you wish to get (Commercial Driver LicenseorDriver License).
- Making certain that your birth certificate or passport accurately reflects your present name is a crucial element of establishing your identity.
- Example: If you have been married, you will need to provide a document for each time your name has changed; therefore, if you have been married more than once, you will need to show the appropriate documentation for each marriage you have been through.
- Please feel free to make use of our Name Change Wizard, which can be found inside our Online Document Checker, to help you identify which papers you will need to bring with you to the appointment.
Support for Customer Service: If you have any further concerns about your individual case, please contact us at (603) 4-REALID to talk with a customer care specialist. Related Websites:
- Driver’s License, Application for (DSMV 312)
- Commercial Driver’s License, Application for (DSMV 450)
- Driver’s License, Application for (DSMV 450)
The New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles is located at 23 Hazen Drive in Concord, New Hampshire 03305. TDD access is available through RELAY NH (7-1-1)
Enhanced Driver’s License for International Travel
Important Passport processing processes are taking longer than usual as a result of Covid-19, and this is true for both standard and expedited services. Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) issued by the state provides travelers with not just a driving license, but also documentation of their identity and citizenship while traveling over state and federal boundaries in the United States of America. In accordance with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), this card was developed to enable travelers from select border states with a quick, but safe, means of entering and exiting the nation.
When combined with a REAL-ID, an EDL can be used for domestic flight travel inside the United States.
What does an Enhanced Driver’s License offer?
Enhanced Driver’s Licenses are equipped with a variety of security features and technology that make travel both easier and more secure. In addition to a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chip and a Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) barcode, each EDL has a biometric information chip that CBP agents may scan to gain instant access to your biometric information. The top 39 land ports of entry into and out of the United States (which serve more than 95 percent of all land border crossings in and out of the United States each year) are equipped with RFID technology.
In the event that a specific port of entry does not have access to RFID, or if RFID is not functioning properly, CBP agents can use the MRZ barcode as a backup method.
An EDL is also substantially more durable and handy than a passport book, which is a plus in this situation.
How to apply for Enhanced Driver’s License?
Depending on where you reside, you may be able to apply for an Enhanced Driver’s License. Residents of the following states are the only ones who can take use of it at the moment: Consider applying for a United States Passport Card if you plan to travel to other states and want the same level of convenience. If you fulfill the residence criteria, the process for applying for an EDL in most participating states is substantially identical to the process for applying for a conventional driver’s license:
- If you have never held a driver’s license before, you must pass both the written knowledge exam and the driving skills exam before a license may be awarded. Individuals 18 and older are not compelled to take driver education, however it is highly encouraged that they do so. If you currently hold a valid driver’s license, you can apply for an EDL at the time of renewal or extension of your license’s expiration date. You must provide the relevant evidence, which may include a mix of Social Security cards, proof of identification, proof of US citizenship, and proof of presence in the United States. If you want to alter your name, you must provide legal and relevant documentation. On your driving record, you must not have any traffic offenses, license suspensions, revocations, or rejections that would prevent you from operating a motor vehicle legally.
It is important to note that in some areas, you may be needed to participate in a formal interview in order to acquire an EDL. The temporary operator’s permit or temporary upgraded ID will be granted to you once you have completed the application, had your biometrics and photographs taken, and signed the relevant declaration documents. This permit is solely good for identification purposes and is not authorized for border crossing.
Your improved license, which is valid for up to four years, should come in the mail within two to three weeks after placing your application. When it comes to the validity of your Enhanced License, it’s usually the same as the validity of your standard Driver’s license.
Enhanced Driver’s License Costs
A professional driver’s license (EDL) is often more expensive than a basic driver’s license. See the following costs for the most up-to-date information (as of 2021):
- Michigan requires a price of $45 ($38 for renewal)
- Minnesota requires a fee of $15 in addition to the $51 necessary for a Class A driver’s license. Applicants in New York must pay $30 in addition to regular driver’s license fees (fees vary depending on age)
- Vermont applicants must pay $30 in addition to standard license and/or non-driver ID fees (fees vary depending on validity length)
- And Washington applicants must pay $113 (covers application and issuance fees).
Generally, fees can be paid with cash, check, money order, or a major credit card, although certain restrictions apply.
Learn More About EDL Applications in Your State
In order to obtain the most up-to-date information on the requirements and applications for an EDL in participating states, please visit the DMV home pages listed below:
- Michigan: any Secretary of the State Office
- Minnesota: atselect Driver License Exam Stations
- New York: any Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) office
- Vermont: anyVermont DMV office
- Washington: anyEDL/EID office
- Michigan: any Secretary of the State Office
Now is the time to expedite your passport!
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
For federal uses, including as entry into federal buildings and boarding commercial airplanes, ordinary Maine credentials (driver’s licenses and IDs) will be accepted until May 2, 2023, with the exception of military IDs. The video’s transcript On July 1, 2019, the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles began issuing driver’s licenses and state identity cards that were compatible with the Real ID Act. Anyone who wishes to get a license or identification card that is Real ID-compliant can now do so at their localBMV office.
- Document establishing identity, date of birth, and proof of U.S. citizenship, lawful permanent residence, or other legal status in the United States Provide your Social Security number (a card is not necessary) or documentation of your ineligibility for a Social Security number. You will need two papers to prove your residency in the state of Maine, such as an electricity bill, a wage stub, or a mortgage statement (P.O. Box is not acceptable). BELOW IS IMPORTANT INFORMATION RELATING TO BIRTH CERTIFICATES: Printed on secure paper, a certified birth certificate is an official government-issued record of a person’s birth. It has an official raised, embossed, impressed, or multicolored seal, and it is valid for one year. INFORMATION ABOUT NAME CHANGE THAT IS IMPORTANT: If your name has been legally changed and it is now different from the name on your identification document(s) (such as your birth certificate or passport), you must produce documentation of the name change in order to receive a Real ID card. A marriage license, divorce decree, or court order are all examples of documents that can be used to support a legal name change. If a person’s name has changed from the name on his or her identification document to his or her present name, all of the documents must provide a clear trail of those changes.
The renewal of a valid license or ID prior to its expiration date will not be necessary, unless the individual desires/requires a Real ID credential. When a person’s license is renewed, he or she will have the choice of receiving a Real ID credential or choosing not to. Those who choose not to participate will be granted a non-REAL ID driver’s license. Beginning on May 3, 2023, those who do not have a REAL ID license will be required to produce a passport or another acceptable identity document for federal purposes that require identification, such as boarding commercial aircraft and entering secure federal facilities, starting in May of that year.
Printable Resources (click on image)
REAL ID Act, which was approved by Congress in 2005, compels states to make modifications to their standards, methods, and regulations for issuing driver’s licenses and identification cards in order for them to be accepted as official identification papers by the federal government. What exactly is REAL ID? The REAL ID Act is a federal law passed by Congress that establishes minimum federal standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards in order for them to be accepted for certain federal purposes, such as entering a federal building or boarding a commercial flight within the country.
You will be required to present a REAL-ID compliant driver’s license, identification card, or an acceptable alternative form of identification as determined by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) in order to board domestic commercial flights or enter a federal facility without a secondary form of Department of Homeland Security (DHS) approved identification beginning on May 3, 2023.
- When travelling, is it necessary for a youngster to have a driver’s license or identity card that complies with the REAL ID Act?
- Why would I desire a driver’s license or identity card that complies with the REAL ID Act?
- It will not be appropriate to use a conventional Maine driver’s license or state ID for these reasons; but, a Maine REAL ID document will be.
- Passport cards, passports, and other travel papers issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) are examples of what is required.
- For more information on REAL ID, please see the website.
No. REAL ID compatible driver’s license or identity card is an option, not a mandate in the United States of America. You do not require a REAL ID compatible driver’s license or identity card in order to undertake any of the following activities:
- Driving, voting, or registering to vote, applying for or receiving government benefits are all options. Check cashing, car rental, and entry into a government entity that does not need identification, such as a post office, are all options. Purchase of alcoholic beverages or cigarettes
- Use of health-care services
Additionally, if you already have an expired document such as a United States passport card, a United States passport, a foreign passport, or certain documents issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, you will not be required to present a REAL ID when traveling on domestic airlines or entering secure federal facilities. Visit this page for a comprehensive list of papers that will be approved for boarding commercial airplanes. For more information on REAL ID, please see the website.
- Appearance – A REAL ID compliant driver’s license and identity card will have a gold star emblem on the front of the card to indicate that it complies with the law. When a driver’s license or identity card is not in compliance, it will not have the gold star and will be marked with wording stating that it cannot be used for federal purposes. Non-compliant driver’s licenses and identity cards will no longer be accepted for government identification purposes, such as domestic air travel or access to certain federal facilities after May 3, 2023.
Is it possible that a driver’s license or identity card that does not comply with REAL ID standards will be less secure? No. All driver’s licenses and identity cards issued by the Maine BMV, regardless of whether they are REAL ID compliant or not, are protected by the state’s strict security measures. Is it possible to have a driver’s license and an identity card that are both REAL ID compliant? No. A person is only permitted to have one REAL ID compliant credential at a time, which must be either a driver’s license or an identity card, according to REAL ID laws.
It is necessary to complete your initial application for a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or identity card in person at a BMV branch office or mobile unit.
What papers will I be required to provide in order to receive a driver’s license or identity card that complies with REAL ID?
- Document establishing identity, date of birth, and proof of U.S. citizenship, lawful permanent residency, or other legal status in the United States
- Social Security Number (card is not necessary) or proof of ineligibility for a Social Security Number
- To demonstrate proof of residency in the State of Maine, two papers must be submitted, such as a utility bill and mortgage statement (a PO Box is not acceptable)
Only original documents or documentation approved by the issuing body will be recognized as proof of ownership. If your name has been legally changed and the new name does not match the name on your identification document(s) (such as your birth certificate or passport), you must submit documentation of the name change in order to receive a REAL ID. A marriage license, divorce decree, or court order are all examples of documents that can be used to support a legal name change. When a name changes from the name on the identification document to the present name, there must be a clear trail of changes documented in the paperwork.
You will not be required to supply these papers again unless your personally identifiable information changes (for example, your name changes due to marriage, divorce, or other circumstances, or your social security number changes), or unless your immigration status changes.
- Commercial license, original or renewal (under 65 years of age) – $55.00
- Commercial license, original or renewal (65 years and older) – $40.00
- Identification card, original or renewal (under 65 years of age) – $30.00
- All duplicate licenses or duplicate identificationcards – $30.00
- All duplicate identificationcards – $30.00
- Non-commercial license, original or renewal (65 years and older) – $55.00
What happens if my given name has changed? If your name has been legally changed and the new name does not match the name on your identification document(s) (such as your birth certificate or passport), you must submit documentation of the name change in order to receive a REAL ID. A marriage license, divorce decree, or court order are all examples of documents that can be used to support a legal name change. When a name changes from the name on the identification document to the present name, there must be a clear trail of changes documented in the paperwork.
Ports of entry in the United States and Canada are aware of the State of Maine’s REAL ID waiver and will accept standard, legal Maine licenses and ID cards for identification purposes at the border until May 23, 2023, according to the state.
A REAL ID license or identity card may not be adequate for U.S.
residents who wish to go to Canada by automobile from the United States and then return to the United States. In order to enter the United States, you will need to present proof of your citizenship as well as picture identification. For further information, contact Customs and Border Patrol:
- The following documents are required: a valid United States passport or United States passport card
- A birth certificate and a valid, government-issued picture ID
- A Certificate of Naturalization. Certification of citizenship in the United States, together with a picture ID
- Permanent residency card (also known as “green card”)
- Identity card or license (Please note that Maine’s Real ID-compliant credential is NOT an identity card or license. When traveling with a Real ID-compliant driver’s license or state identity card, travelers are still needed to provide evidence of citizenship, such as the papers indicated above. NEXUS card
- NEXUS card
What should I do if my driver’s license or identification card reads “Not for REAL ID purposes”? Every non-Real ID-compliant driver’s license and state ID displays the disclaimer text “Not for Real ID purposes” throughout the period of July 1, 2019 to November 22, 2019 (inclusive). For the goal of reducing misunderstanding, this text was changed in late November 2019 to read “Not intended for federal purposes.” There is no effect on the validity of these credentials due to the disclaimer wording — both versions are legitimate ID for all purposes inside the State.
For domestic air travel within the United States and for access to sensitive federal sites, the federal government will need Real ID-compliant identification beginning on May 3, 2023.
In the event that you have any questions, please contact the Driver License Information Unit at 624-9000, extension 52114.