Whether you owe taxes or you’re expecting a refund, you can find out your tax return’s status by:
- Using the IRS Where’s My Refund tool.
- Viewing your IRS account information.
- Calling the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 (Wait times to speak to a representative may be long.)
How do I check my tax return status ATO?
If you link your myGov account to the ATO you can check the progress of your tax return or amendments through your myGov account. Check online using myGov
- sign in to myGov. External Link.
- select ATO from your member services.
- from the home page select Manage tax returns.
- then select the income year you are checking.
How do I check the status of my HMRC Refund?
If you think you might be due an income-tax refund and want to check your tax refund status, call 0300 200 3300 or go to the GOV.UK website.
How do I track my 2019 tax return?
Order a Transcript
- Online Using Get Transcript. They can use Get Transcript Online on IRS.gov to view, print or download a copy of all transcript types.
- By phone. The number is 800-908-9946.
- By mail. Taxpayers can complete and send either Form 4506-T or Form 4506T-EZ to the IRS to get one by mail.
How long does the ATO take to process tax returns?
We aim to process the majority of electronically lodged tax returns within 12 business days. If you can’t lodge electronically, lodging a paper tax return can take up to 50 days for us to process manually. We will keep you informed about the progress of your client’s tax return and if there are any delays.
Why are tax returns taking so long?
REASONS TAX RETURN MAY TAKE LONGER TO PROCESS: Needs a correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount. Is incomplete. Includes a claim filed for an Earned Income Tax Credit or an Additional Child Tax Credit using 2019 income. Includes a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which could take up to 14 weeks to process.
How long do tax refunds take 2021?
When can I expect my refund? If you file electronically and choose direct deposit, the IRS says you can expect it within 21 days, assuming there are no problems with your return. 19
How long does tax refund take UK?
Tax refunds in the UK can take up to 12 weeks to be processed by HMRC with a further 5 days to 5 weeks added to receive your money. There are a number of reasons why you may be owed a tax refund, or tax rebate, from HMRC.
How long does it take for tax refund to go into bank 2021?
You’ll be sent the money within 5 working days – it’ll be in your UK account once your bank has processed the payment. If you do not claim within 21 days, HM Revenue and Customs ( HMRC ) will send you a cheque. You’ll get this within 6 weeks of the date on your P800.
Can I view my 2019 tax return online?
Use the Where’s My Refund tool or the IRS2Go mobile app to check your refund online. This is the fastest and easiest way to track your refund. The systems are updated once every 24 hours. You can call the IRS to check on the status of your refund.
How do I know if the IRS received my tax return by mail?
The “Where’s My Refund” tool, located at https://www.irs.gov/refunds, follows your tax return from receipt to completion. It will tell you when your return is in received status and if your refund is in approved or sent status.
Why is Where’s My Refund not available?
An incomplete return, an inaccurate return, an amended return, tax fraud, claiming tax credits, owing certain debts for which the government can take part or all of your refund, and sending your refund to the wrong bank due to an incorrect routing number are all reasons that a tax refund can be delayed.
Why are 2021 tax refunds taking so long?
Taxpayers don’t have to wait for their 2020 returns to be processed to file their 2021 returns. The IRS delayed the filing deadline in 2020 and 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic. This year, there are no plans to do so, Treasury officials said on Monday.
Why have I not received my tax refund 2021?
If you haven’t received your tax refund after at least 21 days of filing online or six weeks of mailing your paper return, go to a local IRS office or call the federal agency (check out our list of IRS phone numbers that could get you help faster). But that won’t fast-track your refund, according to the IRS.
Are tax refunds delayed 2021?
The Treasury Department warned this week that this year’s tax season will be a “frustrating” one, and that tax refunds will likely be delayed due to a massive backlog of unprocessed returns from 2021.
Where’s My Refund? Check the Status of My Tax Return
Tax refunds worth millions of dollars are not provided or claimed by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) every year, according to the IRS.
Undelivered Federal Tax Refund Checks
Refund cheques are mailed to the last known address associated with your account. In the event that you relocate without alerting either the IRS or the United States Postal Service (USPS), your refund check may be returned to the IRS. If you were anticipating a federal tax return but did not get one, you may look on your refund status on the IRS’Where’s My Refundpage. You’ll need to input your Social Security number, filing status, and the exact total dollar amount of your refund to be able to get your refund.
You can also contact the Internal Revenue Service to inquire about the status of your refund.
Using the automated phone system, on the other hand, will save you from having to wait.
If you relocate, you must file aChange of Address – Form 8822with the Internal Revenue Service; you should also file aChange of Addresswith the United States Postal Service.
Unclaimed Federal Tax Refunds
If you are qualified for a federal tax refund but do not submit a return, your refund will be forfeited and you will not get it. Even though you are not obliged to submit a return, it may be beneficial for you to do so if any of the following apply:
- You are eligible to receive the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).
It’s possible that you didn’t file a tax return because your earnings were below the threshold for filing. However, if you file your return within three years of the filing date, you will be eligible for a refund.
State Refund Checks
The fact that your salaries were below the minimum required to submit a tax return might explain why you didn’t file. To receive your refund, however, you must file your tax return within three years of the filing date.
If you filed a paper return or responded to an IRS enquiry regarding your 2020 tax return, you should expect delays. Some tax returns take longer to process than others, for example, if the return contains the following information:
- If you filed a paper tax return or answered to an IRS enquiry regarding your 2020 tax return, you should expect to experience delays. It takes longer for some tax returns to be processed than for others, for example, when a return is filed when:
If we require further information from you in order to process your refund, we will contact you by mail. When it comes to tax returns involving the Recovery Rebate Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit, and Additional Child Tax Credit, we are taking longer than 21 days (and up to 90 to 120 days in some cases). You should only call if one of the following has occurred:
- It has been at least 21 days since you e-filed
- Where’s My Refund directs you to contact the Internal Revenue Service.
There is no need to file a second tax return. In the event that you are due a refund from your tax year 2020 return, you should wait until you get it before filingForm 1040X to amend your original tax return.
Where’s My Refund – Track My Income Tax Refund Status
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides the majority of refunds within three weeks of when you submit your taxes. Do you want to know where your refund is at this very moment? Let’s have a look and see.
Check your federal tax refund status.
You were unable to locate your refund using our tool, or you submitted a paper copy of your tax return.
You may still check on the status of your federal income tax refund if you haven’t already done so. Enter the following information into the IRS’s Where’s My Refund tool:
- Having trouble finding your refund using our service, or having filed a paper version of your tax return? You may still check on the status of your federal income tax refund if it has not been processed yet. Fill out this form and submit it to the Internal Revenue Service’s Where’s My Refund tool.
For your bank to process your return, allow an additional two to five days beyond the IRS’s stated processing time.
Check your state refund status.
Check the refund status of your refund from the states where you lived and worked by visiting our state list. The Internal Revenue Service normally issues refunds within three weeks, although it is possible that it will take a little longer. For example, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) may have a query regarding your return. Here are some more typical causes for a delayed tax return, as well as what you can do to remedy the situation. At H R Block, you can always rely on us to assist you in obtaining the most tax refund possible year after year.
- OurW-4 calculatorcan be of use.
- The Internal Revenue Service’s refund tracker is updated once every 24 hours, usually overnight.
- Your refund status notifications may include the following phrases: refund received, refund authorized, and refund sent.
- Having your refunddirectly put onto your H R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard® allows you to access your money much more quickly than if you were to get it through the mail.
- Because amended returns must be processed through the mail rather than through e-filing, they can take longer to process.
How to check the status of your tax refund
The editorial staff at Select works independently to evaluate financial products and publish articles that we believe will be of interest to our readers. It is possible that we will gain a commission if you click on links to items from our associate partners. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is typically busy during the spring season, but this year the agency is working harder than ever to keep up with an increased workload and a reduced workforce. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has had to adopt new procedures and even build new infrastructure in order to handle the increased demands of the upcoming tax season in 2021.
- Not to mention that the United States Postal Service has been in a state of crisis for the past year due to an increase in workload and the pandemic’s high toll on vital staff.
- Do not submit a second tax return or contact the IRS if you have not received your tax refund, either by direct deposit into your bank account or as a paper check, according to a statement on the IRS’s website.
- Check the status of your return using one of two methods offered through the IRS website and/or its mobile app, rather than calling the IRS.
- There are Spanish and English versions of the software available for download, and you can get it via Google Play, the Apple App Store, or Amazon.
- If you want to check on the status of your refund, you’ll need to know your social security number or ITIN, your filing status, and the precise amount of money you expect to receive.
- If it’s been more than 21 days since you e-filed your federal tax return, you should contact the IRS directly to inquire about your status.
Speaking with a tax-preparation professional may assist guarantee that your return is correct, which can help ensure that your return is submitted on time. Here are some of Select’stop’s top selections for the finest tax preparation software:
- TurboTax was named the best overall tax software
- H R Block was named the runner-up. Credit Karma Tax is the best free tax software
- TaxSlayer is the best inexpensive tax software. TaxAct is the most accurate program available.
On TurboTax’s safe and secure website
Note from the editors: The opinions, analyses, evaluations, and recommendations contained in this article are solely those of the Select editorial staff, and have not been vetted, authorized, or otherwise supported by any other party other than the Select editorial staff.
Where’s My Refund Tax Refund Tracking Guide from TurboTax®
Track Your Refund in TurboTax After You File / After You File
After the IRS accepts your return, it typically takes about 21 days to getyour refund.
Let’s look at your tax refund. If your federal return has been approved, you will be able to begin monitoring your refund at the IRSWhere’s MyRefund? website as soon as you get confirmation.
If youe-filedwith TurboTax
- Sign in to check the progress of your federal return and make a note of the precise amount of your refund. Fill out the registration form
- STEP 2
Track your federaltax refund
- Fill out the form to verify the status of your federal return and make a note of how much money you will get in a lump sum. The second step is to sign in.
Track mystate refund
- We’ll assist you in locating the guidelines for your state. Look up the name of my state
Tracking your taxrefund articles
View these extra sites for further information that can assist you in locating your tax refund.
Frequently asked questions
The IRS typically approves a tax return within three weeks, and the majority of taxpayers receive their refund within three weeks of filing their tax return. The fact is, there are a variety of reasons why your refund might be delayed. One of the most prevalent is erroneous or missing information on your tax return, which is generally a straightforward correction. More information about refund delays may be found here. Depending on the circumstances, you have a few choices for resolving the problem.
- If you provided an incorrect bank account number, the Internal Revenue Service will issue you a paper check refund in its place. If you submit a genuine bank account number that is not your own, banks will normally refuse to accept a tax return deposit if the names on the account do not correspond. Find out more
Get answers to yourpost-filing questions
If you provided an incorrect bank account number, the Internal Revenue Service will issue you a paper check refund. If you submit a genuine bank account number that is not your own, banks will normally refuse to accept a tax return deposit if the names on the account do not match up. More information may be found at:
About Where’s My Refund
Make use of theWhere’s My Refund? feature. Check see if any individual income tax returns or modified individual income tax returns you’ve submitted over the recent year have been received or processed. Don’t forget to provide the same information that you used in your tax return: The following information is required: Social Security Number, Tax Year, and Refund Amount. Please allow up to one week for your information to be put into our system if you filed your return electronically.
Real-time updates are made to the information. Using our website or by phone at 515-281-3114 or 800-367-3388, you may find out where your refund has gone. This is the same information that our Taxpayer Service professionals have access to through Where’s My Refund. If you phone Taxpayer Services, they will not be able to give you with any further information.
Receiving Your Refund
The date your refund was granted will be displayed when your return has been processed. The return procedure is expected to take 30 days, according to the company. Please check the status of your refund at Where’s My Refund. Individual income tax refunds total $825 million every calendar year, according to the Department of Revenue. It is anticipated that the bulk of these reimbursements would be granted by the end of May. There are a variety of factors that might cause return processing to be delayed.
Some instances include submitting a paper return, deciding not to use direct deposit, having mistakes on a return, not having all of the required documents, and having returns flagged for extra scrutiny. Frequently Asked Questions
Where’s My Refund?
Please keep in mind that the Colorado Department of Revenue adopts steps to detect and prevent identity theft-related refund fraud in the best interests of all taxpayers in the state of Colorado. Please be advised that these steps, which are intended to guarantee that state tax revenues are directed to the appropriate person, may cause individual income tax returns to be delayed. If you have received a letter demanding that you verify your identification and/or provide information about your tax return, it is critical that you answer to the letter as soon possible.
Check Refund Status Online
Revenue Online provides you with the ability to track the status of your refund. There is no need to create an account. Simply choose the option “Tax Refund for Individuals” from the drop-down menu under the heading “Where’s my Refund?” Then input your Social Security number or ITIN, as well as the amount of the refund you claimed on your current-year income tax return. If you do not remember the amount of the refund you received, you can either use the Letter ID number from a recent income tax letter from the Department, or you can use the amount of the return you received.
As soon as we have received and processed your return, we will send you an email with an update on the status of your refund as it proceeds through our system.
Please check back frequently to see where your return/refund may be in our process at any given time.
You won’t have to wait on hold to acquire the information you need.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please double-check the amount of the refund you have submitted, as well as the fact that you are using the primary SSN for the return/refund. You might wish to experiment with utilizing a Letter ID rather than the refund amount.
You have not updated the status of my refund in a while. When will I receive it?
Each return is subjected to a number of processing procedures. In order to guarantee that we can handle your return/refund as promptly as possible, we encourage that you file electronically and include all supporting paperwork. Please check in on the status of the project on a daily basis. If we require any further information from you, we will contact you via the United States Postal Service.
I received a “Validation Key” letter. Will that delay my refund?
Detection and prevention of identity theft-related refund fraud are priorities for the Colorado Department of Revenue, which acts in the best interests of all of our taxpayers by implementing these procedures. The Department has implemented a “Validation Key” procedure, in which information will be asked to be input on Revenue Online in order to validate a Colorado tax refund.
Important: Please be aware that your reimbursement will be delayed if you do not answer to the validation key mail within a reasonable amount of time. For further information, please see the Identity Verification web page.
Check your refund status online 24/7!
- Choose the tax year in which you want to examine the refund status of the item you wish to check
- You will need to provide your Social Security number. Select the form that you submitted from the drop-down menu. Input the amount of the New York State return that you requested in the box provided. Check outRefund amount sought for information on how to retrieve this amount.
Note: To inquire about the status of an updated return, please contact us at 518-457-5149. Check the status of your refund. Call us at 518-457-5149 if you want to communicate in Spanish.
We do not have any information about your return at this time. E-filed returns could take one week to post to our system; mailed returns can take up to three weeks to post to our system. If you e-filed, check your email, tax software or tax preparer to ensure it has been accepted.
This refund status will be visible until your return has been received and processed by our system; at that point, you will receive an updated refund status.
We have received your return and it is being processed. No further information is available at this time.
This is the current processing status for the entire system. Your return will remain in this state until we set an issue date and update your status at that time, unless it is selected for extra review or additional information is requested by us. Our Call Center experts are unable to assist you further while your return is at this stage since they do not have any more information. The message will automatically update in our automated phone system, our onlineCheck your refund statusapplication, and in the account information that our personnel have access to when your refund status changes.
We received your return and may require further review. This may result in your New York State return taking longer to process than your federal return. No further information is available at this time.
This is the current processing status for the entire organization. In the absence of a selection for more review, or until we request additional information, this will be your status throughout processing until we schedule an issue date and update your status at that time. Our Call Center experts are unable to assist you further while your return is at this stage since they do not have any more information. The message will automatically update in our automated phone system, our onlineCheck your refund statusapplication, and in the account information that our agents have access to as soon as your refund status has changed.
When we issue a refund, we will deliver one of the following messages.
- Your return has been received and is being processed. On (date mm/dd/yyyy), your reimbursement will be sent into your bank account by direct deposit. If your refund has not been credited to your account within 15 days of this date, contact your financial institution to see whether it has been received. If it has been more than 15 days after your direct deposit was issued and you have not yet received it, refer to Direct deposit troubleshooting recommendations for assistance. Your refund cheque is scheduled to be mailed on (mm/dd/yyyy) to the address you provided. You should contact 518-457-5149 if you have not received your refund within 30 days of this date.
Request electronic communications from the department
You can interact with the Tax Department regarding your return more effectively if you register for an Online Services account and request electronic communications for bothBills and Related Notices andOther Notifications, as described above. Create your account now, before filing your next tax return, to guarantee that you get future notifications in the Message Center of your Online ServicesAccount Summaryhomepage. This will ensure that you receive future communications. Once you’ve signed into your Online Services account, you’ll be able to do the following:
- Select Preferences from the expanded menu in the top right-hand corner of yourAccount Summaryhomepage
- Then selectElectronic communicationsfrom the expanded menu. Individuals account types in Online Services
- An example of an individual account type. Select the Electronic notification choices for which you would want to get an email. Select both choices if you want to receive an email notification when your refund is processed as well as additional electronic communications regarding your income tax return. Screenshot of the Bills and Related Notices screen in the Online Services application
- Take a look at theAcknowledgementsection and clickSave.
Check the status of your tax refund
The following information will be required in order to check on the status of your personal income tax refund:
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or Social Security number
- The refund is due in the tax year in which it was received. The amount of the reimbursement
How to check Check the status of your tax refund
Check the status of your refund on MassTaxConnect. You will be required to complete the following tasks:
- Select the ID type from the drop-down menu. Enter your ID number
- Choose the tax year for which you are requesting a refund
- And enter the amount of your requested return.
To verify the status of your tax return over the phone, dial (617) 887-6367 or (800) 392-6089 (toll-free in Massachusetts) and follow the automated instructions.
More info for Check the status of your tax refund
Returns that have been filed electronically (E-filed) might take up to 6 weeks to be processed. Paper returns might take up to ten weeks to process.
Contact for Check the status of your tax refund
What happened to my refund? Where Has My Refund Gone? in order to determine whether or not the Illinois Department of Revenue has begun the refund procedure. In order to obtain more detailed information on the status of your return after the Illinois Department of Revenue has completed processing it, you should use the Illinois Comptroller’s Find Your Illinois Tax Refund System. What should I do if the amount of my refund is different from the amount listed on my return? If the amount of your refund is different from the amount reported on your return, you will get a note explaining the discrepancy within 7 to 10 business days.
- Your refund will be processed much more quickly if you file your tax return electronically and arrange for your refund to be instantly deposited into your checking or savings account.
- In general, you should expect your refund to take longer to process this year than it did in past years as we continue our efforts to prevent identity theft and fraudulent transactions.
- How do I go about acquiring a replacement refund check if I have misplaced or lost my original?
- My refund money has not yet been sent to me.
- What should I do in this situation?
- I discovered an uncashed refund cheque from a previous tax season.
What is the best way to go about replacing it? You must contact the Comptroller’s Office at 1-800-877-8078 in order to obtain a new check. More information about Refunds may be found here. Frequently Asked Questions are included below.
Where’s My Refund?
Where Has My Refund Gone? You can track the progress of your refund online. Once your return has been received and processed, please allow at least 2-3 weeks before contacting us to inquire about the status of your refund.
What you’ll need
- The taxpayer’s social security number
- The amount of the refund that is expected
- And the date on which the refund is expected.
Ways to check your status
- Check the status of your refund online (this does not necessitate the use of a login)
- Create an account with the Georgia Tax Center (GTC). In addition, GTC offers online access and the ability to send alerts, such as when a refund has been given. Use the toll-free number 877-423-6711 to reach an automated service.
800 dollars in refunds
When should I call?
In the event that your refund status in our Where’s My Refund application is as follows:
- More than six weeks had passed with no change. He or she directs you to contact the Department.
During this time of year, our phone lines are often very busy. In the same way as ourWhere’s My Refundapplication has the same information, so do our call center staff.
You may also need
More information on how to file your tax return may be found here. Tax Information for the State of Georgia Please keep in mind that certain tax returns may take longer to process than others owing to inaccuracies or insufficient data.