- Find and download 2016 tax forms. Complete the form (s) on Adobe Reader. Print it out and sign it at the bottom of page 2. Attach any tax documents (i.e. W-2, 1099-MISC, etc) to your return. Mail your return to the IRS address listed on your return.
Where do I mail my federal tax return 2016?
Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 1214, Charlotte, NC 28201-1214. Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 7704, San Francisco, CA 94120-7704.
How do I file an old tax return?
How Do I File Returns for Back Taxes?
- Claim a refund.
- Stop late filing and payment penalties and interest.
- Have tax returns for loan applications.
- Pay Social Security taxes to qualify for benefits.
- Gather information.
- Request tax documents from the IRS.
- Complete and file your tax return.
Can you file 2016 tax returns electronically?
Answer: Yes, you can file an original Form 1040 series tax return electronically using any filing status. Filing your return electronically is faster, safer and more accurate than mailing your tax return because it’s transmitted electronically to the IRS computer systems.
How do I send my tax return by mail?
Use the U.S. Postal Service® to mail your tax return, get proof that you mailed it, and track its arrival at the IRS. Mail Your Tax Return with USPS
- Send to the Correct Address. Check the IRS website for where to mail your tax return.
- Use Correct Postage.
- Meet the Postmark Deadline.
Does the IRS have a physical address?
There’s no single IRS address.
Can I mail my tax return in a regular envelope?
Yes, you can use any color envelope. It’s also a good idea to mail your return using certified mail or a mailing service such as UPS or FedEx. This ensures you get a confirmation that the IRS received it.
What phone number is 800 829 0922?
If you want to call the IRS, make sure you call the right number: 800-829-0922. The letter says you have 60 days from the date of the letter to appeal or you can sue in federal court. You may want to hire a tax professional and you may qualify for low-income taxpayer clinics. They’re free or close to free.
Do I mail my federal and state taxes together?
Do not mail the federal and state returns together in the same envelope! They do not go to the same place. When you print out your returns there should be instructions that tell you where to mail them. When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.
Can I still file my 2016 taxes in 2021?
Yee today announced an extension to May 17, 2021, for individual California taxpayers to claim a refund for tax year 2016. With the postponement, individual taxpayers who are due a refund may now file their return for the 2016 tax year no later than May 17, 2021, to claim their money.
How do I file my taxes for last 3 years?
Procedure to file Income Tax Return (ITR) for previous years Income tax return for previous years can be filed through offline and online mode. For offline mode, you have to visit the office of income tax department of your city and have to manually fill income tax return form.
Can I still file my 2015 taxes in 2021?
Remember, prior year tax returns cannot be electronically filed anywhere. You can e-file your 2021 Tax Return on time here on eFile.com until April 18, 2022. If you owe taxes, you might be subject to late filing and late payment fees if you wait until after the deadline to e-file your return.
How do I claim a stimulus check after filing taxes?
In 2022, you can visit GetYourRefund.org to claim any stimulus checks you haven’t gotten. You will need to file a 2020 tax return to get the first and second stimulus checks and a 2021 tax return to get the third stimulus check.
How far back can the IRS go for unfiled taxes?
The IRS can go back to any unfiled year and assess a tax deficiency, along with penalties. However, in practice, the IRS rarely goes past the past six years for non-filing enforcement. Also, most delinquent return and SFR enforcement actions are completed within 3 years after the due date of the return.
Can I still file my 2017 taxes in 2021?
The IRS estimates 1.3 million taxpayers did not file a 2017 tax return to claim tax refunds worth more than $1.3 billion. The three-year window of opportunity to claim a 2017 tax refund closes May 17, 2021, for most taxpayers.
Where to File Paper Tax Returns With or Without a Payment
|Addresses by state for Form 1040, 1040-SR, 1040ES, 1040V, amended returns, and extensions (also addresses for taxpayers in foreign countries, U.S. possessions, or with other international filing characteristics)Taxpayers or Tax Professionals can use certainPrivate Delivery Services (PDS)designated by the IRS to meet the “timely mailing as timely filing/paying” rule for tax returns and payments.|
- The states of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, and the District of Columbia
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island and the state of South Carolina.
|Mailing addresses for all types of returns: individual, corporation, partnership, and many others. Each form has its own page with the needed address for example1040,1040-SR,1040X,7004and941.|
Tax Exempt and Government Entities
|Where to file addresses for tax exempt and government entities.|
Page was last reviewed or updated on November 30, 2021.
Where to File Addresses for Taxpayers and Tax Professionals Filing Form 1040
|Arkansas,Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland,Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire,New Jersey,New York, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Vermont,Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin||Department of the TreasuryInternal Revenue ServiceKansas City, MO 64999-0002||Internal Revenue ServiceP.O. Box 931000Louisville, KY 40293-1000|
|Pennsylvania||Department of the TreasuryInternal Revenue ServiceKansas City, MO 64999-0002||Internal Revenue ServiceP. O. Box 802501Cincinnati, OH 45280-2501|
|Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas||Department of the TreasuryInternal Revenue ServiceAustin, TX 73301-0002||Internal Revenue ServiceP.O. Box 1214Charlotte, NC 28201-1214|
|Alabama,Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee||Department of the TreasuryInternal Revenue ServiceKansas City, MO 64999-0002||Internal Revenue ServiceP O Box 1214Charlotte, NC 28201-1214|
|Arizona, New Mexico||Department of the TreasuryInternal Revenue ServiceAustin, TX 73301-0002||Internal Revenue ServiceP.O. Box 802501Cincinnati, OH45280-2501|
|Alaska, California,Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Michigan,Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming||Department of the TreasuryInternal Revenue ServiceOgden, UT 84201-0002||Internal Revenue ServiceP O Box 802501Cincinnati, OH 45280-2501|
A State-by-State Guide for Each IRS Mailing Address
When tax season comes around, there’s a lot to consider and consider carefully. Considering everything from figuring out the forms you’ll need to fill out for each of your employees while keeping track of changes in tax laws to ensuring that you’ve reported all of your numbers correctly, the last thing you want to think about is the IRS mailing address where you’ll be sending your tax returns. If you’re looking for the IRS mailing address, it might be tough because there are so many different addresses based on where you reside.
Don’t let your greatest staff go to waste.
Can you file a paper tax return?
The majority of individuals opt for electronic filing or hiring a professional accountant, but submitting your income taxes by mail and doing it yourself is still an absolutely viable option. However, although filing the old-fashioned method protects you against hacking dangers, paper filing is more time-consuming, which means you may have to wait longer for your refund if you expect to receive one.
Where do I send my 1040EZ form?
Regardless of the version of the 1040 form you use (the specific form you use will depend on how you’re filing), your 1040 form must be mailed to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) once it has been completed. The answer to this question, on the other hand, is dependent on your geographical location. You can use the information provided below to establish the postal address for the Internal Revenue Service.
What’s the most painful thing that you do during your HR day?
You must submit your completed 1040 form to the Internal Revenue Service, regardless of which version you use (the specific form you use depends on how you’re filing). According on your location, the answer to this question will be different from one person to the next. For your convenience, we’ve compiled a list of IRS mailing addresses that you may refer to.
Where do I mail my tax forms?
For your convenience, we’ve compiled a list of every IRS mailing address you’ll need to use when submitting the 1040EZ form, which differs from state to state.
Here’s where you want to send your forms if youarenotenclosing a payment:
- : (812) 64999-0014
- (812) 73301-0014
- Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming: (812) 73301-0014
- And (812) 73301-0014
- (812) 73301
Here’s where you want to send your forms if youareenclosing a payment:
- Internal Revenue Service: P.O. Box 931000, Louisville, KY 40293-1000
- Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas: Internal Revenue Service: P.O. Box 1214, Charlotte, NC 28201-1214
- Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming: Internal Revenue Service: P.O. Box 7704, San Francisco, CA 94120-7704
- Arkansas, Illinois, Indian Territory: Internal Revenue Service: P.O. Box 770
The Internal Revenue Service’s website provides a helpful explanation of where each 1040 income tax form should be sent, with the majority of the information based on whether or not a payment is included. Bookmark(0)
Please login to bookmark
You don’t have an account yet? Register
CINNAMON JANZER is a journalist and content writer that works out of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Since 2019, she has contributed to Workest as a valuable writer.
Where and how to mail your federal tax return
It’s going down to the wire if you want to file your tax returns by the deadline. According to the United States Postal Service, your return must be postmarked by April 15, have the necessary postage, and be addressed correctly in order to be deemed timely by the Internal Revenue Service. Make careful to weigh your return to ensure that you receive the correct postage. Most returns weigh more than one ounce, so you’ll need more than a stamp to complete the transaction. If you do not have enough postage for your return, it will be returned to the sender.
On Tax Day, several post offices will be open for extended hours and will allow for late postmarking.
To discover out, give us a call. There isn’t a single IRS mailing address. Choosing which one to utilize is determined on where you’re submitting your return from and whether or not your return includes a payment. According to the Internal Revenue Service, here is where you should submit yours.
Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia
If you want to file your tax returns on time, you’ll have to hurry. According to the United States Postal Service, your return must be postmarked by April 15, include the necessary postage, and be properly addressed in order to be deemed timely by the IRS. Always weigh your return to ensure that you receive the appropriate postage. A stamp alone will not suffice for the majority of returns, which weigh more than 1 ounce. Unless you have sufficient postage, your return will be returned to you.
The IRS Tax Day holiday will see certain post offices operate later and offering late postmarking.
There isn’t a single IRS address to which you may direct your correspondence.
According to the Internal Revenue Service, here’s where you should send yours:
Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas
Treasury Department, Internal Revenue Service, and other government agencies without payment Austin, Texas 73301-0002 (Texas) The Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 1214, Charlotte, NC 28201-1214, will accept payment.
Alaska,Arizona, California,Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming
Without payment: Internal Revenue Service, Department of the Treasury, Fresno, CA 93888-0002, Department of the Treasury Send payment to: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 7704, San Francisco, CA 94120-7704, with the following information:
Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska,North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, and Wisconsin
Without payment: Internal Revenue Service, Department of the Treasury, Fresno, CA 93888-0002, Department of the Treasury Send payment to: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 802501, Cincinnati, OH 45280-2501, along with your letter.
Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, and Vermont
Without payment: Internal Revenue Service, Department of the Treasury, Fresno, CA 93888-0002 P.O. Box 802501, Cincinnati, OH 45280-2501 (with payment) Internal Revenue Service
Connecticut, District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and West Virginia
In the absence of payment, please contact: Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service Ogden, UT 84201-0002 Send payment to: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 37910, Hartford, CT 06176-7910, with the following information:
It is possible to ship your Virginia income tax return directly to us, or to the city or county where you lived on January 1. If you choose to mail your return directly to us, please use the right mailing address shown below, depending on whether you expect a refund or if you owe taxes. If you don’t owe taxes but aren’t receiving a refund, send a letter to the “Refund Returns” address.Refund ReturnsVirginia Department of TaxationP.O. Box 66, Richmond, VA 23219 Tax Due ReturnsVirginia Department of TaxationP.O.
Box 1498Richmond, VA 23218-1498Virginia Department of TaxationP.O.
It is possible to ship your Virginia income tax return directly to us, or to the city or county where you lived on January 1. If you choose to mail your return directly to us, please use the appropriate mailing address shown below, depending on whether you expect a refund or if you owe taxes. The “Refund Returns” address should be used if you do not owe taxes but are not receiving a refund.Refund ReturnsVirginia Department of TaxationP.O. Box 66, Richmond, VA 23902P.O. Tax Due ReturnsVirginia Department of TaxationP.O.
Box 1498Richmond, VA 23218-1498 Box 760Richmond, VA 23218-0760If you want to file with your locality, please click on the first letter of your city or county in the list below to discover the relevant postal address for that jurisdiction.
Bath County – 017 Warm Springs, VA 24484540-839-7231 P.O. Box 130 Warm Springs, VA 244845 405-86-7621 Bedford County 019 122 E. Main St. Suite 103 Bedford, VA 24523540-586-7621 Bedford County 0688-4291 Bland County 021 P.O. Box 130 Bland, VA 24315276-688-4291 Bland County Botetourt County – 023 P.O. Box 128, Fincastle, VA 24090-0128540-926-2050 Botetourt County – 023 P.O. Box 128, Fincastle, VA 24090-0128 497 Cumberland St., Room 101, Bristol, Virginia 24201276-645-7316 Brunswick County – 025 P.O.
Box 669, Lawrenceville, VA 2386 County of Buchanan – PO Box 1042, Grundy, VA 24614276-935-6542 Buchanan County – 027 PO Box 1042, Grundy, VA 246142 Buckingham County – Box 138, Buckingham, VA 23921434-969-4972 Buckingham County – Box 138, Buckingham, VA 23921434-969-4972 24416-3113540-261-8610 Buena Vista City 530 2039 Sycamore Ave., Buena Vista, VA 24416-3113540-261-8610 Buena Vista City 530
Bath County – 017 Warm Springs, VA 24484540-839-7231 P.O. Box 130, Warm Springs, VA 244845 405-86-7621 Bedford County 019 122 E. Main St. Suite 103 Bedford, Virginia 24523540-586-7621 Bedford County Virginia’s Bland County is located at 021 P.O. Box 130 in Bland, Virginia 2435276-688-4291 (toll free). Fincastle, Virginia 24090-0128 Botetourt County – 023 P.O. Box 128, Fincastle, Virginia 24090-0128540-926-2050 Botetourt County – 023 P.O. Box 128, Fincastle, Virginia 24090-0128 Botetourt County – 023 P.O.
Bristol City – 520 497 Cumberland St., Room 101 Bristol, VA 24201276-645-7316 Bristol City Brunswick County – Box 669, Lawrenceville, VA 23868434-848-2313 Brunswick County – 025 P.O.
The phone number is 76-935-6542 and the postal code is Grundy.
Box 138, Buckingham, Virginia 23921434-969-4972 24416-3113540-261-8610 Buena Vista City 530 2039 Sycamore Ave., Buena Vista, VA 24416-3113540-261-8610 Buena Vista City
434-799-5145 Danville City – 590 Postal Service Box 480 – Danville, VA 24543434-799-5145 Dickenson County – 051 Clintwood, VA 24228276-926-1646 P.O. Box 1067, Clintwood, VA 24228276-926-1646 Dinwiddie County – 053 P.O. Box 104, Dinwiddie, VA 23841804-469-4500, Ext. 4 Dinwiddie County – 053 P.O. Box 104, Dinwiddie, VA 2384
The city of Emporia is located at 595 Post Office Box 956 in Emporia, Virginia 238474364-634-5405. Essex County – P.O. Box 879, Tappahannock, VA 22560-0879804-443-4737 Essex County – 057 Tappahannock, VA 22560-0879804-443-4737
Fairfax City – 600 Rm. 224, City Hall10455 Armstrong St., Fairfax, VA 22030703-385-7880Fairfax City – 600 Rm. 224, City Hall10455 Armstrong St., Fairfax, VA 2203 Refunds for Fairfax County – 059 can be sent to P.O. Box 1498, Richmond, Virginia 23218-1498. Richmond, VA 23218-0760703-222-8234 P.O. Box 760, Richmond, VA 23218-0760703-222-8234 Falls Church City – 610 300 Park Avenue, Suite 202WFalls Church, VA 22046-3301703-248-5065Falls Church, VA 22046-3301703-248-5065 Fauquier County – 061 P.O.
- Box 149, Warrenton, VA 20188-0149540-422-8163 County of Floyd – 063 Refund: P.O.
- Box 760, Richmond, VA 23218-0760 County of Fluvanna 065 Refund: P.O.
- Box 760, Richmond, VA 23218-0760434-591-1940 Franklin City – 620 P.O.
- 102 Rocky Mt., VA 24151 Frederick County – 069 Refund: P.O.
Box 1498, Richmond, VA 23218-1498 Frederick County – 069 Refund: Richmond, VA 23218-0760540-665-5681 P.O. Box 760, Richmond, VA 23218-0760540-665-5681 630 P.O. Box 644, Fredericksburg, VA 22404540-372-1004 Fredericksburg City 630 P.O. Box 644, Fredericksburg, VA 22404
For more information on Fairfax City, call (703) 385-7880 or visit www.fairfaxcity.org. Fairfax City – 600 Rm 224, City Hall10455 Armstrong St. Fairfax, VA 22030703-385-7880 To receive a refund from Fairfax County, send a check to P.O. Box 1498, Richmond, VA 23218-1498. Taxes are due at: P.O. Box 760, Richmond, VA 23218-0760703-222-8234 (fax: 23218-0760). FALLS CHURCH, VA 22046-3301703-248-5065 FALLS CHURCH, VA 22046-3301703-248-5065 Falls Church, VA 22046-3301703-248-5065 Fauquier County – 061 P.O.
- Box 149, Warrenton, VA 20188-0149540-422-8163 Fauquier County Floyd County – 063 Refund: P.O.
- Box 760, Richmond, VA 23218-0730 To receive a refund from Fluvanna County, send a letter to P.O.
- Richmond, VA 23218-0760434-591-1940 P.O.
- Box 389, Franklin, VA 23851-0389757-562-1157.
- County of Franklin – 067 Rocky Mount, Virginia 24151540-483-3083 1255 Franklin St., Ste.
- Refund for Frederick County – 069 can be sent to P.O.
- Richmond, VA 23218-0760540-665-5681 P.O.
Halifax County – 083 P.O. Box 1847, Halifax, VA 24558434-476-3314 Halifax County – 083 P.O. Box 1847, Halifax, VA 24558434-476-3314 727-6690 Hampton City – 650 Post Office Box 636, Hampton, VA 23669-0636757-727-6690 Hampton City Hanover County – PO Box 129, Hanover, VA 23069804-365-6129 085 P.O. Box 129, Hanover, VA 23069804-365-6129 Cities and Towns of Harrisonburg 660 409 S Main St, Harrisonburg, Virginia 22801-7531540-432-7704 County of Henrico – 087 Refund: Post Office Box 1498, Richmond, VA 23218-1498 Henrico County – 087 Taxes are due at: P.O.
Henry County – P.O.
Box 1077, Collinsville, VA 24078-10772 Highland County – 091 P.O.
Box 1604, Hopewell, Virginia 23860804-541-2237.
The County of Isle of Wight is located at 093 P.O. Box 107 in Isle of Wight, Virginia 23397-0107757-365-6222.
57-253-6695 James City County – 095 P.O. Box 283, Williamsburg, VA 23187757-253-6695 James City County – 095
Virginia’s King and Queen County is located at 097 Post Office Box 178, KingQueen Courthouse, Virginia 23085804-785-5976 King George County – 099 10459 Courthouse Dr., Suite 101,King George, VA 22485-3862540-775-4664 King George County – 099 10459 Courthouse Dr., Suite 101,King George, VA 22485-3862 King William County is located at 101 P.O.
Box 217 in King William, Virginia 23086804-769-4941
462-7920 Lancaster County Office of the Sheriff 103 8311 Mary Ball Rd., Room 203, Lancaster, VA 2250384-462-7920 Lancaster County Office of the Sheriff The Lee County Courthouse is located at 105 P.O. Box 96, Jonesville, VA 24263276-346-7722. Lexington City – 678 300 E Washington St, Room 103, Lexington, VA 24450540-462-3701 Lexington City – 678 300 E Washington St, Room 103, Lexington, VA 24450 County of Loudoun -107 Returns should be sent to: P.O. Box 1498, Richmond, VA 23218-1498. To Pay Taxes, Send a Check to: P.O.
Box 858, Lynchburg, VA 24505-0858434-455-3870, Lynchburg, VA 24505-0858434-455-3870
Local government in Madison County is located at 113 P.O. Box 56, Madison, VA 22727540-948-4421 Manassas, Virginia (USA) – 683 Returns should be sent to: P.O. Box 1498, Richmond, VA 23218-1498. Richmond, VA 23218-0760703-257-8222 Tax Due: P.O. Box 760, Richmond, VA 23218-0760703-257-8222 Manassas Park City has a population of 685 people. Returns should be sent to: P.O. Box 1498, Richmond, VA 23218-1498. Taxes are due at the following address: P.O. Box 760, Richmond, VA 23218-0760703-335-8825 Martinsville City – 690 P.O.
- Returns should be sent to: P.O.
- Address for Payment of Tax: P.O.
- Box 360 in Boydton, Virginia 23917434-738-6191.
- Box 148, Saluda, VA 23149-0148804-758-5332 Middlesex County Middlesex County 755 Roanoke St., Ste.
Nelson County – 125 P.O. Box 246, Lovingston, VA 22949434-263-7070 Nelson County – 125 P.O. Box 246, Lovingston, VA 2294 The refund address for New Kent County – 127 is: P.O. Box 1498, Richmond, VA 23218-1498. Address for Payment of Taxes: P.O. Box 760, Richmond, VA 23218-0760804-966-9610 Newport News City – 700 2400 Washington Ave., Newport News, VA 23607757-926-8653 Newport News City – 700 2400 Washington Ave., Newport News, VA 2360 City of Norfolk – 710 P.O. Box 2260, Norfolk, VA 23501757-664-7885 Virginia’s Northampton County is located at 131 P.O.
County of Northumberland, Heathsville, Virginia 22473804-580-4600, P.O.
Box 347 Norton, Virginia 24273276-679-0031 The Nottoway County Courthouse is located at 135 P.O.
Orange County – 137 P.O.
Box 389, Orange, VA 22960540-672-4441 Orange County –
The Page County Courthouse is located at 139 S. Court St., Suite C, Luray, VA 22835. The phone number is 540-743-4909. To get your refund, mail it to Patrick County 141 Refund at PO Box 1498 in Richmond, VA 23218-1498. Address for payment of taxes: Postal Service PO Box 760 in Richmond, VA 23218-0760276-694-7131 Petersburg City – 730 N. Union St., Petersburg, VA 23803804-733-2317 Petersburg City – 730 135 N. Union St., Petersburg, VA 23803804-733-2317 Virginia’s Pittsylvania County is located at 143 P.O.
- 757-868-3020 Poquoson City Municipal Building, 735 500 City Hall Ave., Poquoson, VA 2366 Seven hundred and forty one Crawford St., Portsmouth, VA 23704757-393-8773 County of Powhatan 145 3834 Old Buckingham Rd.
- Box 446 in Farmville, Virginia 23901434-392-3231.
- Returns should be sent to: P.O.
- Taxes are due at the following address: P.O.
Room 161, 619 Second St., Radford, VA 24141540-731-3613 Radford City 750 619 Second St., Radford, VA 24141 Rappahannock County – 157 P.O. Box 115, Washington, VA 22747-0115540-675-5370 Rappahannock County is located in the state of Virginia. Return to P.O. Box 1498, Richmond, VA 23218-1498 for a refund of 760 dollars. Taxes are due at: P.O. Box 760, Richmond, VA 23218-0760804-646-6474 (fax: P.O. Box 760). Local government in Richmond County is located at 159 P.O. Box 366, Warsaw, VA 22572804-333-3722.
- Box 718, Roanoke, Virginia 24004, call 540-853-6543 for further information.
- Box 21709 in Roanoke, Virginia 240185 (407) 772-2049 Rockbridge County – 163 P.O.
- Gay St., Harrisonburg, VA 22802540-564-3000 Rockingham County – 165 20 E.
- Box 517, Lebanon, Virginia 2426276-889-8018.
Salem City is located at 775 P.O. Box 869 in Salem, Virginia 24153-0869 and may be reached at 540-375-3019. Scott County is located at 169 190 Beech St., Suite 104, Gate City, VA 24251 and can be reached at (804) 386-7692. Shenandoah County – 171 Refund: P.O. Box 1498, Richmond, VA 23218-1498 Shenandoah County – 171 Refund: P.O. Box 1498, Richmond, VA 23218-1498 Richmond, VA 23218-0760540-459-6170 P.O. Box 760, Richmond, VA 23218-0760540-459-6170 276-782-4040 Smyth County Courthouse, 173 P.O.
- Box 1498, Richmond, VA 23218-1498, Southampton County Tax Due: P.O.
- Box 175, Spotsylvania, VA 22553 and may be reached at 540-507-7054.
- Box 98 in Stafford, Virginia 22555-0098 and may be reached at 540-658-4132.
- Box 4, Staunton, Virginia 24402-0004540-332-3829.
The following address is in Suffolk City: 800 P.O. Box 1459, Suffolk, VA 23439-1459757-514-4260 The Surry County Courthouse is located at 181 P.O. Box 35 in Surry, Virginia 23883757-294-5225 Local government in Sussex County is located at 183 P.O. Box 1398, Sussex VA 23884434-246-1022.
Tazewell County – 185 101 E. Main St., Tazewell, VA 24651-1071276-385-1235 Tazewell, VA 24651-1071276-385-1235
101 E. Main St., Tazewell, VA 24651-107276-385-1235 Tazewell County 185 101 E. Main St Tazewell, VA 24651-107276-385-1235 Tazewell County
For more information contact Warren County at 540-635-2651 or 187 P.O. Box 1775, Front Royal, VA 22630 Washington County – 191 One Government Center Place, Ste. C, Abingdon, VA 24210276-676-6270 Washington County is located in the state of Virginia. Waynesboro City – 820 503 W Main St., Room 107, Waynesboro, VA 22980540-942-6610 Waynesboro City – 820 503 W Main St., Room 107, Waynesboro, VA 2298 Westmoreland County – 193 Post Office Box 68, Montross, VA 22520804-493-9052 Westmoreland County The City of Williamsburg is located at 830 Postal Service Box 245, Williamsburg, VA 23187757-220-6150.
Box 546 Winchester, VA 22604540-667-1815 Winchester City Virginia’s Wise County is located at 195 P.O.
276-23-6015 Wythe County 197 225 S.
757-890-3381 York County 199 P.O. Box 90, Yorktown, VA 23690-0090757-890-3381 York County
Individual Tax Forms and Instructions
- Virginia’s York County is located at 199 P.O. Box 90 in Yorktown, Virginia 23690-0090 or by calling 757-890-3381.
We provide various options for you to access Maryland tax forms, booklets, and instructions, including the following:
- You may get them by downloading them. You can obtain tax forms by clicking on the links provided below. Forms can be requested by e-mail. You can also send us an e-mail with your request for forms at [email protected] Pay a visit to our offices. To get forms, please visit any of our taxpayer service offices.
If you prefer, you may file your Maryland tax return online using our freeiFileservice. Please do not send.
- Photocopies of paperwork
- No federal forms or schedules unless specifically requested
- No other information Any forms or remarks that are not specifically requested
- Returns received by fax
- Returns are printed on colored paper. Returns that have been done in pencil or red ink Returns with bar codes that have been stapled or otherwise damaged
When you use fill-out forms, you may enter information into a form while it is shown on your computer screen, and then print the finished form out. Acrobat Reader 4.1 (or later) is required, which may be downloaded free of charge from Adobe’s web site. Alternatively, you may print off the form and fill in the information by hand. Fill-out forms are preferable to handwritten forms since they produce a neater and sharper printout for your records, as well as making it easier for us to handle the information we receive.
Adobe Acrobat 4.1 (or newer) product suite, which may be acquired from Adobe, is required in order to do this operation successfully.
Input information is not subjected to any computations, validations, or verifications, and you are entirely responsible for the accuracy of all needed information.
Completing the Form
When you use fill-out forms, you may enter information into a form while it is shown on your computer screen, and then print the full form. Acrobat Reader 4.1 (or later) is required, and may be downloaded for free from the Adobe website. Printing the form and filling out the information by hand is also an option. Fill-out forms are preferable to handwritten forms since they produce a neater and sharper printout for your records, as well as making it easier for us to handle the information we received.
Adobe Acrobat 4.1 (or newer) product suite, which may be acquired from Adobe, is required in order to perform this function successfully.
Several of the features available in Acrobat 3.0 products are utilized by Maryland fill-out forms. No computation, validation or verification of the information you provide is performed, and you are entirely responsible for the correctness of the information you provide.
When opening Adobe Acrobat (PDF) files, such as tax forms, computer-generated output, and instructions, it is possible that the files will not open properly. If this is the case, you should make a copy of the file and then save it on your computer before proceeding to the next step of viewing it. After saving the file to your computer’s hard drive, you may see it by opening it using the Adobe Acrobat Reader application. If you do not already have Adobe Acrobat installed on your computer, you will need to do so in order to see the tax forms and their accompanying manuals.
You may get a free Internet software package from the Internet.
- When opening Adobe Acrobat (PDF) files, such as tax forms, computer-generated output, and instructions, it is possible that the files will not open correctly. If this is the case, you should make a copy of the file and then save it on your computer before proceeding to look at it again. As soon as you have saved the file to your hard drive, you may see it by opening it using the Adobe Acrobat Reader software. The Adobe Acrobat Reader must be installed on your computer before you can see the tax forms and manuals. If you do not already have the Adobe Acrobat Reader installed, you must do so. You may get the free Internet software here. The following instructions will walk you through the process of copying an archive from our website and viewing it using the Adobe Acrobat Reader software.
Choose the Right Income Tax Form
Your resident status has a significant impact on whatever personal income tax return form (paper or electronic) you will be required to file for your personal tax return. As a Maryland resident, you can submit longForm 502 and 502B if your federal adjusted gross income is less than $100,000 and your state adjusted gross income is less than $100,000. In the event that you only lived in Maryland for a portion of the year, you must complete Form 502. In the event that you are not a resident, you must file Form 505 and Form 505NR.
In the event that you are employed in Maryland but reside in a jurisdiction that levies a local income or profits tax on Maryland citizens, you must submit Form 515 with the Maryland Department of Taxation.
In the case of self-employment or the absence of Maryland income taxes collected by an employer, you can make quarterlyestimated taxpayments using Form PV as part of an installment plan called a pay-as-you-go plan. Instructions on how to make anticipated tax and extension payments may be found on the Payment Voucher Worksheet (PVW). If you owe more Maryland tax and would like to apply for an automatic six-month filing extension, you must complete Form PValong with your payment by April 15, 2020, otherwise your application will be denied.
If you need to make specific changes to your original Maryland tax return that has already been submitted and processed, you must file Form502Xfor 2019 to amend your original tax return, which may be found on the Maryland Department of Revenue’s website here.
For this program, you must fulfill all of the following eligibility conditions in order to be eligible to apply:
- The IRS has issued an assessment against you because you owe back taxes that were not paid on time. You have either chosen not to pursue or have exhausted all administrative appeals options available to you. There is no way for you to make a reasonable offer in compromise if any point is currently being appealed. At least two years must have elapsed since you become subject to the tax. Your tax returns must have been received and processed by the Comptroller’s Office, or you must have been given a penalty by the Comptroller’s Office for failing to file a necessary tax return. You must not be actively involved in a bankruptcy process that is still open. In order to collect taxes due by a business or by its officials, the business must be closed. Due to your current financial condition, it is doubtful that you will be able to make a complete payment at any point in the foreseeable future. You are either out of resources or unable to utilize current and/or future resources to the payment of the outstanding tax bill.
Please double-check that you meet all of the qualifying conditions listed above before proceeding with the application process. When completing Form MD 656, you should provide a list of all of the reasons you feel you are unable to, or should not be able to, pay the entire sum owing.
A reasonable sum should be offered that you are able to pay. You will not be excused just because you are unable to pay. When evaluating whether or not to accept your offer in compromise, we will take into account the following factors:
- There is some skepticism about responsibility. When filing Form MD 656, you must give a clear explanation of the reason(s) you feel you do not owe the tax
- Otherwise, the form will be rejected. There aren’t enough resources. If you don’t have enough assets or income to cover the entire amount, you must attach a detailed financial statement, such as Form MD 433-A for individuals and/or Form MD 433-B for enterprises, with your Form MD 656 submission. Adversity in terms of finances or other factors If you have sufficient assets to pay the full amount due, but believe that requiring full payment would cause an economic hardship or would be unfair and inequitable due to your exceptional circumstances, you must include with Form MD 656 a complete financial statement, Form MD 433-A and/or Form MD 433-B
Forms: Offer in Compromise and Acceptance of Offer in Compromise Statement of Information Regarding the Collection Offer in Compromise Program e-mail address Baltimore, Maryland 21201Comptroller of Maryland301 West Preston Street, Room 203Comptroller of Maryland Contact us by email at [email protected] or by phone at 410-767-1555 (from Central Maryland) or 1-888-674-0020 (from elsewhere) for additional information about the Offer in Compromise Program.
Using Downloadable Forms
In order to view.PDF files, you must first download and install a.PDF reader that is compatible with your device’s operating system.
PDF for Windows
To access tax forms, instruction guides, and other documents, you will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. If you do not currently have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, you will need to do so. On our websites, we provide PDF files.
- You may get the most recent version for free by downloading it from the internet
- Older versions of Adobe Reader are available for download from the Adobe Web site, which is useful if you are using an older operating system, platform, or browser, or if you are having trouble downloading older forms.
Occasionally,. It’s possible that PDF files such as tax forms, spreadsheets, and instructions will not open immediately in your Internet browser when you click on them. It is necessary to first download and save the file to your computer before you can see it if you face this difficulty. After saving the file to your computer’s hard drive, you may see it by opening it using the Adobe Acrobat Reader program, which is free to download.
PDF for Safari on Mac
Make use of the most recent Safari version: Visit In the Safari Built-in Viewer: You are using Safari version 5.1.X or higher and you receive a blank screen when you attempt to open the document. If you want to view PDFs in Safari, you must have Adobe plug-ins installed that are older than version 10.1.3 installed. To do so, follow these steps:
- Make a backup of your Mac
- To bring up your Mac’s program switcher, press and hold the COMMAND + TAB keys together. While still holding down the COMMAND key, use the TAB key to go through the menu options until the “Finder” option appears. Release the COMMAND and TAB keys on your keyboard. To begin, select “Go” from the menu bar at the top of the screen. Select “Open a folder” from the drop-down menu. Copy and paste the path of the folder “/Library/Internet Plug-ins” into the pop-up box that appears. A new folder window will open, displaying a list of all of the browser plug-ins that have been installed on your computer. With AdobePDFViewer, you should be able to see one or more files. If necessary, arrange the items in alphabetical order. Old Adobe plug-ins should be dragged to the Trash
- Safari should be closed and restarted. It should be possible to open a PDF file in Safari again, and it should operate using the “native” PDF reader included into the Safari browser.
Preserve the data on your Mac; To bring up your Mac’s program switcher, press and hold COMMAND + TAB together. While still holding down the COMMAND key, use the TAB key to go through the menu options until the “Finder” option is displayed. The COMMAND and TAB keys should be released. Go to the top of your screen and click on the “Go” menu option. Choose “Open a folder” from the drop-down menu. Paste the path to the folder “/Library/Internet Plug-ins” into the pop-up box that appears. This will open a new folder window, which will include a list of all of the browser plug-ins that have been installed on your computer.
If necessary, arrange the items alphabetically.
Safari should be closed and re-opened.
- Download the most recent (and free) version of the Adobe Reader plugin. Restart Safari and then attempt to access the.PDF file in the Safari browser.
Adobe Reader plugin for the latest version (which is free). Open the.PDF file in the Safari browser after restarting Safari.
Adobe Reader for Mobile (Android, iPhone, iPad)
Visit Adobe Reader Mobile Platforms for more information on Adobe Reader on mobile devices.
General Instructions for downloading.PDF Files
The following steps will walk you through the process of downloading a file from our website and viewing it using ADOBE Acrobat Reader.
- Locate the form you wish to download and move your mouse pointer over it
- Right-click on the link (use the right button on your mouse) to open it in a new window. “Save target as.” or “Save link as.” are the options available from the drop-down menu. Select the place on your computer where you want to save the file in the “Save as.” window and then click “OK.” The download should begin at this point. To see the document after it is finished, open it in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
When trying to open any of the forms with a PDF reader (such as MAC PDF Preview) or a web browser (such as Google Chrome/or Edge), please follow the steps below.
- The file may be downloaded to your desktop or hard drive by right-clicking on the web link and selecting ‘Save link as.’ Adobe Reader* is required to view this document. Fill out the form and save/open it as many times as necessary until it is completed. Create a copy of the completed form(s)
To fill out PDF forms and generate 2D barcodes, Adobe Reader is the suggested program at the moment because it is compatible with some of the additional features available on the form. You may get it for free by visiting the following link: Please call Taxpayer Service at 410-260-7980 from Central Maryland or at 1-800-MD-TAXES from anywhere else in the state if you require more assistance. Assistance is available Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or you may send an email to [email protected] with your request.
Request A Copy of Previously Filed Tax Returns
In order to get a copy of a Maryland tax return that you previously filed, please submit us a completedForm 129by mail or fax. Please include your name, address, Social Security number, the tax year you are asking, and your signature in the body of the message. For joint returns, please provide the information for both taxpayers and a copy of their signatures on the request form (if applicable). Revenue Administration DivisionCentral Files110 Carroll StreetAnnapolis, MD21411Phone: 410-974-2967 Fax: 410-974-2967
Returning a Form 502 or Form 505 with payment by check or money order to the Comptroller of MarylandPayment ProcessingPO Box 8888Annapolis, MD 21401-8888 will result in the following address: Send all other returns, payments, and correspondence pertaining to your personal or business tax account(s) to:Comptroller of MarylandRevenue Administration DivisionPO Box 549Annapolis, MD 21411-0001Comptroller of MarylandRevenue Administration DivisionPO Box 549Annapolis, MD 21411-0001Comptroller of MarylandRevenue Administration Division We will be able to answer to your request more quickly if you include the following information in your correspondence:
Any letter should be addressed to you by your full name and mailing address, as well as your phone number and the last four digits of your Social Security number. When filing your tax returns, make sure to include your whole Social Security number. Make all cheques and money orders payable to the Maryland Comptroller’s Office. If you are sending a check or money order, we urge that you also include your Social Security number.
Include your company name and address, as well as your nine-digit federal employer identification number (FEIN) and eight-digit Maryland Central Registration (CR) number, on all of your returns and communications.
500 Individual Income Tax Return
The form may be filled out online, saved, and printed using your web browser.
2021 – 500 Individual Income Tax Return2020 – 500 Individual Income Tax Return2019 – 500 Individual Income Tax Return
IMPORTANT! You must download and install the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to completely complete the form.
- Download the form to your own computer and store it there. To save the file, right-click on it and select “Save link as.” from the menu. Make a note of the location where the file will be stored. Using the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (you can get a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader here), open the pdf file. Fill out the form and save it to your computer for future use. Forms should be printed and mailed to the addresses listed on the form. Is it possible for me to fill out the paperwork by hand? Yes, however forms completed online process more quickly than ones submitted by hand. When it comes to fillable forms, they do not operate consistently with all of the different browsers, but they do work consistently with Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Select software vendors offer free electronic filing services to Georgia taxpayers.See if you qualify to File for Free.
In any correspondence with the Indiana Department of Revenue, please be sure you address the envelope to “Indiana Department of Revenue” (DOR). Customers who wish to provide information to the Indiana Department of Revenue on individual income taxes, for example, should address their correspondence to:Indiana Department of Revenue. Individual Income TaxP.O. Box 40Indianapolis, IN46206-0040Re: Individual Income Tax Alternatively, you can mail your return to one of the following addresses: When enclosing payment, please send it to the following address: Indiana Department of RevenueP.O.
Box 7224Indianapolis, IN 46207-7224 To obtain a refund, write to the following address: Indiana Department of Revenue, P.O. Box 40, Indianapolis, IN 46206-0040.
|Aircraft||Aircraft Registration||P.O. Box 644||Indianapolis, IN||46206-0644|
|Alcoholic Beverage||Alcoholic Beverage Excise Tax||P.O. Box 6114||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6114|
|Business Administration||BC-100 Business Closure||P.O. Box 6197||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6197|
|Corporate Tax||IT-20 or IT-20X Corporate Tax Return with Payment||P.O. Box 7087||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7087|
|IT-20 or IT-20X Corporate Tax Return without Payment||P.O. Box 7231||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7231|
|IT-20S S Corporation Tax Return with Payment||P.O. Box 7205||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7205|
|IT-20S S Corporation Tax Return without Payment||P.O. Box 7147||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7147|
|Correspondence||P.O. Box 7206||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7206|
|FT-QP||P.O. Box 7228||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7228|
|IT-6 Vouchers||P.O. Box 7226||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7226|
|Fiduciary||Form IT-41 with Payment||P.O. Box 6192||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6192|
|Form IT-41 without Payment||P.O. Box 6079||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6079|
|IT-41ES Vouchers||P.O. Box 6192||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6192|
|Financial Institutions||FIT-20||P.O. Box 7228||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7228|
|FT-QP Voucher||P.O. Box 7228||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7228|
|Fireworks||FPS-103 Voucher||P.O. Box 7227||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7227|
|Fuel Tax||Form AVF-1||P.O. Box 6114||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6114|
|Form MF-360||P.O. Box 510||Indianapolis, IN||46206-0510|
|Form REF-1000||P.O. Box 1971||Indianapolis, IN||46206-1971|
|Fuel Tax Returns||P.O. Box 6080||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6080|
|Bonds and Licensing||P.O. Box 6114||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6114|
|Gaming Card Excise Tax||Form GCE-103||P.O. Box 2485||Indianapolis, IN||46206-2485|
|Individual Income Tax||Correspondence||P.O. Box 7207||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7207|
|Form IT-9 (Filing Extension)||P.O. Box 6117||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6117|
|Forms IT-40, PNR and RNR (Enclosing payment)||P.O. Box 7224||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7224|
|Forms IT-40, PNR and RNR (All others)||P.O. Box 40||Indianapolis, IN||46206-0040|
|Form ES-40 (New Accounts)||P.O. Box 6102||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6102|
|Form IT40-ES (Preprinted Vouchers)||P.O. Box 7223||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7223|
|Form IT40-ES (PC Generated)||P.O. Box 7225||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7225|
|Form SC-40||P.O. Box 6103||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6103|
|Post Filing Coupons (PFC)||P.O. Box 1674||Indianapolis, IN||46206-1674|
|Proposed Assessment (AR-80)||P.O. Box 1028||Indianapolis, IN||46206-1028|
|Inheritance Tax||Inheritance Tax Division||P.O. Box 71||Indianapolis, IN||46206-0071|
|Motor Carrier Services||IFTA Section (Interstate)||P.O. Box 6175||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6175|
|Operating Authority Section||P.O. Box 6075||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6075|
|Intrastate Fuel||P.O. Box 6081||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6081|
|Motor Vehicle Rental Excise Tax||Form MVR-103/MVR-103CS||P.O. Box 7089||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7089|
|Nonprofit||IT-20NP||P.O. Box 7228||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7228|
|Correspondence||P.O. Box 7206||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7206|
|Form NP-20||P.O. Box 6481||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6481|
|Form NP-20A||P.O. Box 6197||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6197|
|Other||Advocate’s Office||P.O. Box 6155||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6155|
|Appeals and Litigation||P.O. Box 1104||Indianapolis, IN||46206-1104|
|Change of Address||P.O. Box 6197||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6197|
|Copying Requests||P.O. Box 723||Indianapolis, IN||46206-0723|
|District Office Returns||P.O. Box 7152||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7152|
|Independent Contractors||P.O. Box 6072||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6072|
|Power of Attorney POA-1||P.O. Box 7230||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7230|
|Special Investigations Unit||P.O. Box 6480||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6480|
|Tax Due Notices||P.O. Box 1028||Indianapolis, IN||46206-1028|
|Unidentified Checks Section||P.O. Box 6154||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6154|
|Payment Services||Demand for Payment (AR-40)||P.O. Box 595||Indianapolis, IN||46206-0595|
|Partnership Tax||IT-65 Partnership Tax Return with Payment||P.O. Box 7205||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7205|
|IT-65 Partnership Tax Return without Payment||P.O. Box 7147||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7147|
|Correspondence||P.O. Box 7206||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7206|
|Sales Tax||Form CIT-103 (County Innkeepers Tax)||P.O. Box 6195||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6195|
|Form FAB-103(Food and Beverage Tax)||P.O. Box 7229||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7229|
|Form ST-103||P.O. Box 7218||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7218|
|Form ST-103DR||P.O. Box 6114||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7218|
|Form ST-103MP||P.O. Box 6114||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7218|
|Form ST-103NC||P.O. Box 7230||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7230|
|Form ST-103P||P.O. Box 6193||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6193|
|Form TF-103 Tire Fee||P.O. Box 6073||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6073|
|Tobacco||Cigarette Tax||P.O. Box 901||Indianapolis, IN||46206-0901|
|Cigarette Tax Returns||P.O. Box 901||Indianapolis, IN||46206-0901|
|Cigarette Tax Stamps||P.O. Box 901||Indianapolis, IN||46206-0901|
|Other Tobacco Products||P.O. Box 6114||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6114|
|Utility Receipt Tax||Form URT-1||P.O. Box 7228||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7228|
|URT-Q Vouchers||P.O. Box 7228||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7228|
|USU-103 Vouchers||P.O. Box 7206||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7206|
|Correspondence and USUT Registration Application||P.O. Box 7228||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7228|
|Withholding Tax||Form 1099 G||P.O. Box 6104||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6104|
|Form WH-1||P.O. Box 7221||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7221|
|Form WH-1U||P.O. Box 6192||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6192|
|Form WH-3 Requesting Refund||P.O. Box 7220||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7220|
|Form WH-3 No Refund Due||P.O. Box 6108||Indianapolis, IN||46206-6108|
|Correspondence||P.O. Box 7222||Indianapolis, IN||46207-7222|
|Workers Compensation Clearance||Form WCE-1||P.O. Box 2305||Indianapolis, IN||46206-2305|
Correct an income tax return
When you make modifications or revisions to your tax return, you may be required to update the tax return you previously filed.
Forms (current tax year)
- The IRS may require that you modify your tax return if there have been any modifications or adjustments.
Common reasons why you need to amend a return
- If you have made any modifications or revisions to your tax return, you may need to alter the document you originally submitted.
- Credits can be updated, claimed, or removed. Add or subtract a dependant from the equation
- The transition from standard deductions to itemized deductions
- You can make changes to your itemized deductions.
- California Explanation of Amended Return Changes (Schedule X)
- Corrected California Resident Income Tax Return Form540 (540 2EZ, California Nonresident or Part-year Resident Income Tax Return540NR) and related supporting documents
- California Explanation of Amended Return Changes (Schedule X)
- California Explanation of
Please send both materials to us.
Tax year 2016 and before
- For that tax year, you must complete Form 540X (which you can find in our form locator) and attach any supporting documentation. a copy of the original return (540, 540NR, 540 2EZ)
- A copy of the original return
2. Submit your amended return online or by mail:
onlineEither through your tax preparer or through tax software MailFranchise Tax BoardPO Box 942840Sacramento, CA 94240-0001Franchise Tax BoardPO Box 942840Sacramento, CA 94240-0001
To make changes to your tax return, follow these procedures. Contact us if your tax liability (income, credits, deductions, etc.) does not change as a result of your actions.
1. Fill out the correct form for your business.
- The following types of corporations are recognized: C corporation, S corporation, Limited Liability Company (LLC) considered as a corporation, Single Member LLC treated as a corporation.
- Partnerships are divided into three types: general partnerships, limited partnerships, and limited liability partnerships.
- Check the box for the modified return
- If necessary, attach an amended K-1 for each member.
- Verify that the updated return box has been checked
- If necessary, attach amended K-1 forms for each member.
2. Submit online or by mail:
onlineEither through your tax preparer or through tax software Franchise Tax BoardPO Box 942857Sacramento, CA 94257-0500MailFranchise Tax BoardPO Box 942857Sacramento, CA 94257-0500
Estates and trusts
Form 541 (California Fiduciary Income Tax Return) is required for estates and trusts in the state of California.
- Check the box next to “Amended Tax Return”
- Complete the tax return in its entirety
- Explain all of the modifications on a separate sheet of paper. Include the name of the estate or trust, as well as the FEIN, with each item. If necessary, provide an updatedCalifornia Beneficiary’s Share of Income, Deductions, Credits, and Other Benefits (541 Schedule K-1), as well as any other supporting documentation.
Make sure to provide each beneficiary with a copy of the updated 541 Schedule K-1.
Charities and nonprofits
- Locate the form that you used to register your charitable or nonprofit organization. Take a look at the revised return box
- Submit your application online or by mail.
Locate the form that you used to register your charitable or nonprofit organization with the government. Please double-check the revised return box. Alternatively, you may submit your application through email or postal mail;