- STATE PROCESSING CENTER, 575 BOICES LANE, KINGSTON NY 12401-1083. You may send your income tax return and tax payment using a private delivery service instead of the U.S. Postal Service. If you use any private delivery service, send the forms to: The private delivery service address was changed on August 28, 2015.
Where do you mail your NY state tax return?
and mail to this address:
- STATE PROCESSING CENTER.
- PO BOX 15555.
- ALBANY NY 12212-5555.
Why do I have to mail my NY state return?
The underlying reasons for this, however, are that the New York Department of Taxation and Finance needs a taxpayer’s Form 1040 (federal return) in order to process the state return.
Do you mail state tax return federal?
What is the address to send in my returns? You do not file your state return together with your federal return. For the mailing address for filing your state tax return, please refer to the instructions for your state tax return.
Can I mail my NY State tax return 2020?
You may file a NY state tax return by mail. The New York Department of Taxation and Finance removed the penalty so you may file a NY state tax return by mail (see page 35: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it201i.pdf).
What phone number is 800 829 0922?
If you want to call the IRS, make sure you call the right number: 800-829-0922. The letter says you have 60 days from the date of the letter to appeal or you can sue in federal court. You may want to hire a tax professional and you may qualify for low-income taxpayer clinics. They’re free or close to free.
Where do I mail my 2018 tax return?
Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 7704, San Francisco, CA 94120-7704.
Can I still mail my 2019 tax return?
Can I mail my tax return in a regular envelope?
Yes, you can use any color envelope. It’s also a good idea to mail your return using certified mail or a mailing service such as UPS or FedEx. This ensures you get a confirmation that the IRS received it.
Why can’ti e file my NY state return?
Yes, while New York generally requires you to e-file, there is an exception if the software does not allow for e-file. Because New York has a higher standard for identity verification that the IRS, it has become common for federal tax returns to be accepted for e-file and NY state tax returns to be rejected.
Should I staple my NYS tax return?
Do not staple or clip your payment to Form IT-201-V. Instead, just put them loose in the envelope. You cannot use this form to pay a bill or other notice from the Tax Department that indicates you owe tax; you must use the payment document included with that bill or notice.
Do I need to attach my federal return to my New York return?
Do I attach my federal Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, to my New York State personal income tax return? No, beginning with tax year 2015, you must copy the required information from federal Form W-2 onto the New York State Form IT-2, Summary of W-2 Statement, and submit it with your return.
Are federal and state taxes mailed separately?
Yes. If you do not e-file your income tax returns and mail them instead, each income tax return is sent separately.
Where do I mail my tax return in NJ?
You can get a copy of a previously filed New Jersey Income Tax return by completing Form DCC-1. Mail the completed form to: New Jersey Division of Taxation, Document Control Center, PO Box 269, Trenton, NJ 08695-0269.
Do I need to send my federal return with my state return?
You should include the 2nd federal return copy with your state return to mail in. Most states require you to mail in a copy of your Federal Return with your state return.
Mailing address (personal income tax returns)
On your envelope, you must provide the following information:
- Your return address
- Adequate postage (some returns demand extra postage)
- And any other information you want to provide.
Send your return to the STATE PROCESSING CENTER, PO BOX 61000, ALBANY, NY 12261-0001, if you are not included a payment with your return. You must ship your return (containing Form IT-201-V) to the following address: STATE PROCESSING CENTER PO BOX 15555 ALBANY NY 12212-5555 IF YOU ARE INCLUDING A PAYMENT (CHECK OR MONEY ORDER) The post office box addresses listed above become active on June 1, 2014. It was previously located at 575 BOICES LANE, KINGSTON, New York 12401-1083, under the name STATE PROCESSING CENTER.
You have the option of sending your income tax return and tax payment through a private delivery provider rather than through the United States Postal Service.
The private delivery service address was modified on August 28, 2015, according to the postal service.
Assemble the assembly again.
IT-201 resident income tax return information
If you were a resident of New York State for the whole year, you must submit Form IT-201, Resident Income Tax Return, with the state.
Other forms you may need to complete and submit with your return:
- Other Tax Credits and Taxes (Form IT-201-ATT), if you are any of the following:
- Taxes or credits other than those claimed directly on Form IT-201 (e.g., long-term care insurance credit, New York City resident UBT credit, and farmers’ school tax credit) must be paid in addition to any other New York State or New York City taxes.
- Form IT-196, New York Resident, Nonresident, and Part-Year Resident Itemized Deductions, is used to claim the itemized deduction for New York residents and nonresidents. In order to make a payment by check or money order, you must use Form IT-201-V, Payment Voucher for Income Tax Returns. Form IT-225, New York State Modifications, is used to record additions or subtractions to federal AGI that occur in New York State but are not expressly specified on Form IT-201. In order to submit earnings and any taxes withheld by New York State, New York City, or Yonkers, use Form IT-2, Summary of W-2 Statements. Using Form IT-1099-R, Summary of Federal Form 1099-R Statements, you can report tax withheld on annuities, pensions, retirement pay, or IRA payments in New York State and New York City, as well as Yonkers, New York. Using Form IT-195, Allocation of Refund, you can direct deposit all or a portion of your refund into New York State 529 college savings accounts
- Form IT-227, New York State Voluntary Contributions, you can make voluntary contributions
- Form IT-558, New York State Adjustments due to Decoupling from the IRC, you can report addition and subtraction adjustments to federal amounts due to decoupling from the IRC
- And Form IT-195, Allocation of Refund, you can direct deposit all
New York State citizens. Check to ensure that your personal income tax return is being sent to the right mailing address. Updated:
Check your refund status online 24/7!
- Residents of New York State may find out more by visiting this page. Remember to send your personal income tax return to the right postal address. Updated:
Note: To inquire about the status of an updated return, please contact us at 518-457-5149. Check the status of your refund. Call us at 518-457-5149 if you want to communicate in Spanish.
We do not have any information about your return at this time. E-filed returns could take one week to post to our system; mailed returns can take up to three weeks to post to our system. If you e-filed, check your email, tax software or tax preparer to ensure it has been accepted.
This refund status will be visible until your return has been received and processed by our system; at that point, you will receive an updated refund status.
We have received your return and it is being processed. No further information is available at this time.
This is the current processing status for the entire system. Your return will remain in this state until we set an issue date and update your status at that time, unless it is selected for extra review or additional information is requested by us. Our Call Center experts are unable to assist you further while your return is at this stage since they do not have any more information. The message will automatically update in our automated phone system, our onlineCheck your refund statusapplication, and in the account information that our personnel have access to when your refund status changes.
We received your return and may require further review. This may result in your New York State return taking longer to process than your federal return. No further information is available at this time.
Following the receipt and commencement of the processing of your return, our automated processing system examines it for any mistakes or indications of fraud. Depending on the outcome of the scan, we may need to go over the results again manually. It is possible that this status will change back to processing, or that you will get a request for further information.
It is possible that your return will remain in this stage for a lengthy amount of time to allow us to conduct a thorough evaluation. When you return to the processing stage, it is possible that your return will be selected for extra scrutiny before being processed completely.
When we issue a refund, we will deliver one of the following messages.
- Your return has been received and is being processed. On (date mm/dd/yyyy), your reimbursement will be sent into your bank account by direct deposit. If your refund has not been credited to your account within 15 days of this date, contact your financial institution to see whether it has been received. If it has been more than 15 days after your direct deposit was issued and you have not yet received it, refer to Direct deposit troubleshooting recommendations for assistance. Your refund cheque is scheduled to be mailed on (mm/dd/yyyy) to the address you provided. You should contact 518-457-5149 if you have not received your refund within 30 days of this date.
Request electronic communications from the department
You can interact with the Tax Department regarding your return more effectively if you register for an Online Services account and request electronic communications for bothBills and Related Notices andOther Notifications, as described above. Create your account now, before filing your next tax return, to guarantee that you get future notifications in the Message Center of your Online ServicesAccount Summaryhomepage. This will ensure that you receive future communications. Creating an Online Services account and requesting electronic communications for Bills and Related Notices and Other Notifications is the most efficient way to interact with the Tax Department regarding your return.
- Select Preferences from the expanded menu in the top right-hand corner of yourAccount Summaryhomepage
- Then selectElectronic communicationsfrom the expanded menu. Individuals account types in Online Services
- An example of an individual account type. Select the Electronic notification choices for which you would want to get an email. Select both choices if you want to receive an email notification when your refund is processed as well as additional electronic communications regarding your income tax return. Screenshot of the Bills and Related Notices screen in the Online Services application
- Take a look at theAcknowledgementsection and clickSave.
The New York State Assessment Receivables are located at PO Box 4127 in Binghamton, New York 13902-4127.
Account and Refund Adjustments
P.O. Box 4127, Binghamton, NY 13902-4127, NYS Assessment Receivables
Income/Franchise Field Audit Bureau
Located at Building 9, Room 350 on the W A Harriman Campus in Albany, New York 12227.
Income/Franchise Desk Audit Bureau
Building 9 on the W. A. Harriman Campus in Albany, New York, 12227
Director of Tax Audits
Located at Building 9, Room 317 on the W. A. Harriman Campus in Albany, New York 12227. Updated:
NEW YORK – Where to File Addresses for Taxpayers and Tax Professionals
|and you are filing a Form.||and youARE NOTENCLOSING A PAYMENT, then use thisaddress.||and youAREENCLOSING A PAYMENT, then use thisaddress.|
|1040||Department of the TreasuryInternal Revenue ServiceKansas City, MO64999-0002||Internal Revenue ServiceP.O. Box 931000Louisville, KY 40293-1000|
|1040-ES||N/A||Internal Revenue ServiceP.O. Box 931100Louisville, KY 40293-1100|
|1040-ES(NR)||N/A||Internal Revenue ServiceP.O. Box 1300Charlotte, NC 28201-1300|
|1040V||N/A||Internal Revenue ServiceP.O. Box 931000Louisville, KY 40293-1000|
|1040X||Department of the TreasuryInternal Revenue ServiceKansas City, MO 64999-0052||Department of the TreasuryInternal Revenue ServiceKansas City, MO 64999-0052|
|4868||Department of the TreasuryInternal Revenue ServiceKansas City MO 64999-0045||Internal Revenue ServiceP.O. Box 931300Louisville, KY 40293-1300|
Page was last reviewed or updated on December 10, 2021.
Where’s My New York State Tax Refund?
In the event that you expect to get a refund from your New York (NY) personal income tax return, you can check the status of your refund 14 days after you e-file your tax return. If you submitted a paper income tax return, you’ll have to wait six to eight weeks before you can check on the status of your return. E-filing your return is the most efficient method of submitting your income tax return. Additionally, you will get an email confirmation that your return has been received and accepted by the State of New York.
When you register with the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance, you will get an email telling you when your direct deposit has been received to the account you specified.
Was your refund less than you expected?
If you owe money to any New York state agency, it is possible that your income tax return will be withheld. State rebate taxes can be used to pay off debts such as unpaid child support, restitution or court costs if you have fallen behind on your obligations. It is possible that you could receive a smaller tax refund than you anticipated as a result of a mistake on your tax return. When modifications are made to your return, you will be notified by the Department of Taxation (DOR). Check the information you’ve received to make sure you agree with the modifications that have been made.
Live in New Jersey but work in New York?
In the event that you live in New Jersey but work in New York, you must submit a Form IT-203, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return, if you wish to get a refund of all New York income tax withheld from your paycheck.
This will prevent your income from being taxed twice by the states of New York and New Jersey.
Where’s my refund?
The state of New York, like the Internal Revenue Service, allows you to monitor the progress of your return on its website. To check your refund status, you’ll need to know the tax year, your social security number, the form you submitted, and the amount of the projected return. You can find out the status of your New York state tax refund on the website of the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. You may use these sites to find out the status of your New York tax refund. New York is the state in which we live.
Hours: 24 hours a day, seven days a week Tax Information: 1-518-457-5181 (General Tax Information) Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.
State Tax Filing Contact Information Can Be Obtained Through the Internet The deadline is May 17, 2021.
- Self-Employed? Consider the following five suggestions on what to do with your tax refund to benefit your business: Change the outcome of your tax return: Make adjustments to your withholdings in 2019. There are several reasons why your tax refund may be less than you anticipated. After the Tax Reform, the Medical Expense Deduction is no longer available.
New York (NYS) Tax Forms
In the state of New York, if you reside or generate money within the state, it is likely that you may be required to pay New York income taxes. And with that comes the responsibility of completing and submitting New York (NYS) tax forms. Continue reading to find out more about the most frequent New York State tax forms!
Where Do I Find State of New York State Tax Forms?
If you are looking for state tax forms in the state of New York, you may find them on the website of the New York Department of Taxation. You can also download and print them. The following are links to information about the various tax kinds in New York, as well as instructions from the New York Department of Taxation:
- Income tax
- The Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Mobility Tax (MCTMT)
- Sales tax
- Withholding tax
- Corporation tax
- Property tax
- A complete list of tax kinds is available.
New York Income Tax Forms
Individual filers in New York State should use the following income tax forms:
- Income tax forms and instructions that are often used
- Full-year resident forms
- Part-year resident forms
- Nonresident forms
- Credit claim forms
- And other personal income tax forms
- Requests for extensions
- Calculated tax forms
- Withholding allowance forms
- Amended return forms Nonresident group and team returns
- Fiduciary tax forms
- Partnership and LLC/LLP forms
- Nonresident group and team returns
More Help With State and Federal Taxes
It’s critical to prevent state tax problems and the possibility of financial responsibility. If you need assistance managing your state tax requirements, turn to H R Block Virtual for assistance! With this service, we’ll pair you with a tax professional that specializes in New York taxation. Once you have uploaded your tax documents, our tax professionals will take care of the rest! We can assist you with your New York taxes, including claiming federal deductions for state taxes paid. Do you prefer a different method of filing?
TRACK YOUR INCOME TAX REFUND
People whose state and federal income tax forms show that they will get a tax refund this year can use the Internet to find out when their refund will be received by the IRS or their state tax agency. Taxpayers can follow the progress of their tax refunds online through the websites of the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance (NYSDTF) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), respectively. Individuals may use both refund tracking systems around 72 hours after filing their tax returns online or four weeks after mailing their paper tax returns, depending on which option they choose.
To determine the status of your state and federal income tax refunds, please go to the links below: Refund Tracking Service provided by the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance (www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/refund.htm).
Service for Tracking Refunds from the Internal Revenue Service (www.irs.gov)
Tax Filing – International Services Office
State taxes differ depending on where money was made during the tax year and which state is being taxed. As a result, paperwork must be submitted to the appropriate state individually. As an illustration: If you worked for the University of Rochester (in New York state) and completed a summer internship in Pennsylvania, you may be required to file several tax forms, including: 1) a Federal tax return for all US earnings and income, 2) a State tax return for New York, and 3) a State tax return for Pennsylvania, depending on your specific circumstances.
This state-level determination may have an influence on the income and withholdings that you must report, as well as the paperwork that you must submit.
Consult with the relevant government agency in each state to learn whether or not you are required to file taxes on such profits.
New York State
Many University of Rochester students and scholars will be liable for New York State (NYS) income taxes as a result of their employment. In contrast to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), as decided by GLACIER, New York does not use the same resident status definitions as the federal government.
- For the purposes of income taxation, all full-time undergraduate students are considered New York State nonresidents. Students and scholars from other states are considered New York State residents for income tax purposes if they maintain a permanent residence in New York for more than 11 months of the year and spend a total of 184 days (six months) or more in the state during the tax year in question If you do not fulfill these requirements, you should consider filing as a nonresident instead.
However, this finding is just for the purpose of determining your tax liability in New York State and does not alter your resident status under US immigration rules. It is said in the instructions that nonresident aliens and residents for tax purposes who are in their “Dual Status” year (i.e., in their first year as a Resident Alien for tax purposes) are not permitted to e-file their returns. You must submit your paperwork on paper. If you’re not sure, it’s best to send paper paperwork to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles via mail.
NYS Forms and Instructions
If you are a New York State resident for tax purposes, you should download Form IT-201 and the accompanying instructions. If you are a New York State nonresident for tax reasons, you should download Form IT-203 and the accompanying instructions. Please keep in mind that the forms and instructions must be downloaded as separate files.
New York Tax Amendment Forms IT-201-X and IT-203-X.
The Form IT 201-X must be completed if you need to make changes or amendments to a previously approved New York State Income Tax Return for the current or previous Tax Year. Form IT 201-X is a tax return and tax amendment form that is used by the Internal Revenue Service. On eFile.com, you can create a New York Tax Amendment form; but, you will not be able to submit it through the website. In contrast, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires a distinct Form – Form 1040X – to modify an IRS return (do not use Form 1040 for an IRS Amendment).
- The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will transmit any amendments or changes to one or more of your IRS Tax Return(s) to the New York Tax Agency, therefore you should submit a New York Tax Amendment within one year after the amendment or change.
- Details File a Tax Amendment in the State of New York You cannot eFile a New York Tax Amendment anyplace else than the state of New York.
- Box 15555, Albany, NY 12212-5555 should be contacted if a tax payment in the form of a check or money order is attached to the form being submitted.
- Box 61000, Albany, NY 12261-0001, should be contacted if there is no payment connected.
- Complete the form by clicking on it, signing it, downloading it, printing it, and mailing it to the address mentioned above as soon as feasible.
- Deadlines for Refunds in New York A three-year period begins on the due date of the original tax year return and continues for as long as any valid filing extensions are used.
- Within one year after the final decision of the updated federal return or the final determination of the federal change, whichever is later, provided that the eligible refund does not exceed the reduction in New York tax due to the federal change or correction.
- Within two years after the payment of an assessment, provided that the amended return presents concerns relating exclusively to the prior assessment and that the refund does not exceed the amount of tax paid on the prior assessment, whichever comes first.
D. Two years after the filing of an amended New York return resulting in the payment of extra tax. Deadlines for Additional New York State Tax Income Taxes
Where’s My Refund?
Where Has My Refund Gone? You can track the progress of your refund online. Once your return has been received and processed, please allow at least 2-3 weeks before contacting us to inquire about the status of your refund.
What you’ll need
- The taxpayer’s social security number
- The amount of the refund that is expected
- And the date on which the refund is expected.
Ways to check your status
- Check the status of your refund online (this does not necessitate the use of a login)
- Create an account with the Georgia Tax Center (GTC). In addition, GTC offers online access and the ability to send alerts, such as when a refund has been given. Use the toll-free number 877-423-6711 to reach an automated service.
800 dollars in refunds
When should I call?
In the event that your refund status in our Where’s My Refund application is as follows:
- More than six weeks had passed with no change. He or she directs you to contact the Department.
During this time of year, our phone lines are often very busy. In the same way as ourWhere’s My Refundapplication has the same information, so do our call center staff.
You may also need
More information on how to file your tax return may be found here. Tax Information for the State of Georgia Please keep in mind that certain tax returns may take longer to process than others owing to inaccuracies or insufficient data.
Where’s My Refund? Check the Status of My Tax Return
Tax refunds worth millions of dollars are not provided or claimed by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) every year, according to the IRS.
Undelivered Federal Tax Refund Checks
Refund cheques are mailed to the last known address associated with your account. In the event that you relocate without alerting either the IRS or the United States Postal Service (USPS), your refund check may be returned to the IRS. If you were anticipating a federal tax return but did not get one, you may look on your refund status on the IRS’Where’s My Refundpage. You’ll need to input your Social Security number, filing status, and the exact total dollar amount of your refund to be able to get your refund.
You can also contact the Internal Revenue Service to inquire about the status of your refund.
Using the automated phone system, on the other hand, will save you from having to wait.
If you relocate, you must file aChange of Address – Form 8822with the Internal Revenue Service; you should also file aChange of Addresswith the United States Postal Service.
Unclaimed Federal Tax Refunds
If you are qualified for a federal tax refund but do not submit a return, your refund will be forfeited and you will not get it. Even though you are not obliged to submit a return, it may be beneficial for you to do so if any of the following apply:
- You are eligible to receive the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).
It’s possible that you didn’t file a tax return because your earnings were below the threshold for filing. However, if you file your return within three years of the filing date, you will be eligible for a refund.
State Refund Checks
Contact your state’s revenue agency if you need further information about your state tax refund check. The most recent update was made on October 4, 2021.